Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ABC - December chat

I haven't posted in a while. Time is going by so fast. I am really happy with my band overall, and feel like I am finally getting good restriction after my third fill (2.2 ml) in 4 ml band.

I subscribe to the "I wonder what band I'll wake up with today" syndrome. bread and other doughy stuff are a big No-No.

Hoping to step up the exercise regime soon,

Happy holidays to all,

Jessica

Welcome back Jessica, nice to hear from you. Our chat thread is kinda slow these days.

Eileen,

I don't eat very much these days. So, I try and stay away from carbs and junk so that I can at least eat what my body needs. I can barely eat Breakfast maybe 4 bites of what I choose. lunch isn't much more typically 1/4 of a salad with some chicken. I have been having an afternoon snack, where I eat a Protein or a vegetable. For dinner, I eat more Protein and veggies. I always fix my plate like I am going to eat a lot, then I can't get it down. When I mean a lot, I mean a salad plate. I try to fill up a salad plate and end up eating about 1/4th of it.

Just when I think I have no restriction, I wake up and have a day where its tough to eat more than a few bites at a time. For example, I ate for 2 hours straight at my Christmas party the other night, taking a bite every 5 to 10 minutes. LOL. I wasn't ready to give up such good food, so I would wait 10 minutes and take another bite. I don't typically do this but it was a special occasion. I probably ate a half of a salad plate of food in two hours. I chewed like there was no tomorrow.

Jamie,

It is so good to see you doing well. Have you made a decision about your wedding yet? Has your friend been deployed or is he in training now? We had a guy at work go on "leave" at work over the summer to be deployed to Iraq. I didn't realize he would be training for 5 months or so, I don't think he is shipping until after Christmas.

I would like to know what other people typically eat in a day. I know that we are not supposed to eat between meals, but when you have a tight restriction, that's hardly anything at all - after a few bites of Protein, there's no room for veggies or fruit, so when do you eat those? I still have Constipation and gas, too, so I know that I need to eat a more balanced diet...

Eileen

I eat three meals and usually two snack a day as well. My Snacks are usually low fat cheese, nuts, or some sort of fruit. (no apples or pears, they get stuck!)

I'm averaging about 1000 calories a day. I'm also exercising 6 days a week for 1/2 hour on the treadmill in the am, and about 1/2 hour with some hand weights at night.

we're falling off the MAP! AHHH!!! I couldn't find the thread for a minute.

So I'm trying to motivate myself to start an exercise routine. I've been dealing with depression and it's hard. It's dark when I leave for work and dark when I leave work. Plus I feel like I'm missing my mom a lot more this year. Last year I think I was just in shock and now I feel really lost without her. I'm still bouncing around the 30 pound mark and I don't know if I should get another adjustment or not. I get a LOT of stuff stuck and I think I am ignoring when I'm full or just plain eating too fast. am I alone?

Hey all, I haven't been around for a while I moved and still don't have my internet back on yet, I am at my sisters house so I thought I would get on. Well I got my 4th fill last week, It seems to be working, I had a bad headach last night so I decided to take a pill with milk, and boy was it stuck I kept pb milk I was trying to get it to go down, it was awful I kept thinking what if it won't go down my DR is 3 hrs away. but thank godness it finally did. I hope I will start to see the scale move again.

Merry X-Mas everybody and Happy New Year.... :biggrin1:

**HOLLY**

Josette, hang in there hon. The holidays can be rough.

I'm guessing you should get another fill. I know I need one.

Something I learned...getting stuck doesn't mean you have enough restriction. It usually means you're eating too fast and not chewing well enough. (Unless, of course, you're overfilled in which it doesn't matter how well you chew. LOL!)

I'm waiting till the new year to get another fill. After they did the partial unfill, I've lose quite a bit of restriction. I'm just trying to maintain my weight until I can get that fill.

Josette, I agree with Libra I think you just need another fill. If you can ignore your full feeling then you aren't restricted enough. If you are restricted enough and keep eating it backs up into your esophagus and there is no way you could ignore that because you start PBing.

Holly,

I am glad your pill became unstuck. I had the same thing happen to me and it took over 8 hours to clear. It was the most painful thing I have felt with the band yet and it kept me up all night. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well ladies, I couldn't be happier today. I have been wearing size 18 pants that were too big. I knew they were baggy, yesterday they almost fell down, they are so baggy. I decided to put on a pair of 16s today getting ready for work. I guess I didn't really believe I could wear them because I haven't been able to for more than 5 years. I can't believe it, but the 16s are baggy too. No wonder I almost lost my size 18s! the coolest thing is I haven't really given up any food that I love. I may only get a bite or two of it, however I still get to have it and loose weight. (I'm gonna post this on the main board too for inspiration for other people)

That is awesome faybie!!! I have had that feeling with some of my pants. this morning i actually put on a pair of undies I couldn't fit anymore prior to surgery (because my husband is unemployeed and slacking on the laundry) and they fit perfect. a panty NSV!!! hahaha

this morning i actually put on a pair of undies I couldn't fit anymore prior to surgery (because my husband is unemployeed and slacking on the laundry) and they fit perfect. a panty NSV!!! hahaha

Ha. Ha. nice.

Oooh panty NSV's rock!!! I left my big'uns in the drawer for inspiration!! I'm wearing pretty lacy new ones that were a treat for when I eventually could fit into them. Now theyre the only ones not sagging! LOL!! Don't see myself jumping into a thong any time soon though! LMAO!!

Faybie, 16's eh? That's got to feel good. Congrats!!!

It's great to hear that we're all finally getting the weight loss going. I'm down 28 pounds from my surgery in August, which is slower than the rest of you but still fine. My doctor is OK with it. And the clothes are getting looser and looser. I'm still having knee problems, and will probably have to have the other one operated. (DARN IT!) And that has slowed the weight loss because it hurts to exercise. I went to a meeting yesterday wearing a suit that had been in the closet for a couple of years because it was too small, and a friend told me I shouldn't wear it any more because it's hanging off me.

I now have 8.5 cc in a Vanguard band and I really do feel restricted but not in a bad way. I still get full pretty easily. When I eat a bit too much I feel a bit of heartburn.

I wish I'd known how much difference this would make -- I'd have done it a long time ago.

Josette,

I can totally relate to your situation. I am down about 30 lbs, had a fill a few weeks ago, but haven't really lost much in a pretty long while. Part of it is lack of exercise, but like you -- when?? I work full time, have 5 kids and I'm a single mom. I guess I could squeeze it in between 4 and 5 in the a.m., but I am barely getting enough sleep as it is. Somehow, I have to figure it out, but I haven't gotten there yet.

I have had several "getting stuck" experiences since my last fill, and I do feel restriction, but not all the time. It's weird -- one day I will get stuck on something that I wouldn't get stuck on another day. My band seems to change restriction from day to day. Can that be?

Overall, I am okay with my weight loss and I've gone from an 18/20 to a 14/16. But, I need to get my butt in gear -- literally and figuratively, and commit myself to my weightloss.

I guess this is just all part of the process, but some days are frustrating.

Jessica

I Just Got My Third Fill On Wed. 3.2 In A 10cc. I Was At 2.8 With No Restriction And Wanted Enough So I Would Feel It This Time. The Nurse Told Me That 4cc Is About The Most They Put Into That Size Band Per The Doc. So Far Not Much Difference. I Hope Now That I Am Off The 2 Days Of Soft, I Will Feel A Difference. I Too Have Only Lost A Small Amount Since Sx. 14lbs. I Have Lost A Total Of 54 Lbs But I Was Hoping And Praying To Be Down To At Least 270 By Christmas. I Didn't Think That 40 Lbs In 4 Months Would Be Hard With The Band. I Have A Reunion In July And Really Really Would Love To Be Down To 225. That Is 7 Mos And Is Possible. If Only I Can Reach My First Restriction! I Just See All Of You Losing Weight And I Feel Bad For I Am Just Staying The Same. Up 2 Down 1, Up 1 Down 2. Go Figure! Thanks For Letting Me Vent! Diane

Diane,

There is still hope that your 3rd fill will have restriction. My restriction came on suddenly 2 weeks after my second fill.

You should start taking measurements too. I stalled for a month and a half and still went down a pants size. I haven't lost any weight in a week, however I lost another inch in my hips. 54 pounds is quite a bit since pre-op and you might be "compacting". The best thing that you can do if you want to get to 225 by next summer is walk as much as you can. Just try to go a little bit further every day.

I know what it feels like to be dissapointed with the start of the weight loss. I wanted to be where I am now back in October. However, I am happy to be where I am. I am much better off then I would have been without the band. You will get there Diane, I promise, just do what you can do to help kick start it by drinking lots of Water and walking.

Diane,

Faybie is right. Fills are tricky. When you find you're spot, you"ll start seeing a major difference. Exercise really makes a difference as well. Try to get as much activity in you day as possible.

I noticed that my body has started to change shape as well. I haven't taken measurements but I see muscle where there used to be fat, so that's a good thing. It's not all gonna show on the scale, so hang in there.