Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now on normal food and yesterday I ate roast that had cooked all day. I chewed it like 40 times and ate pretty small bites. But about 30 minutes to an hour after I started feeling like something was stuck. I kept thinking I was going to vomit but I have not. That was last night and today I can still feel something stuck and I still feel like I could vomit. But nothing is happening. I have no clue what I should do. I don't even have my first fill yet so I am not sure what the deal is. I had eaten turkey breast before on Thanksgiving (as the nurse said if I ate very slow and a very small amount I could) and not had a problem and this meat was really tender. So what gives???

What should I do? Actually it feels like it is stuck in my throat and not my stomach. I have never had anything stuck so I am not sure maybe that is where you feel it. Like upper chest and throat. I want to just throw up and never eat beef again but it is not happening!!!!!!!!!

Uhhh I am in mysery! I am sticking to liquids today so far. Hoping it will get washed down or pushed back up or something. OH this is terrible!

You are right to go back to liquids. Sounds like you irritated the stoma, but food is not stuck. Some find that beef, especially steak and roast, are difficult to eat. You might want to give that up for a while until you find what foods work and which ones don't.

I kinda view it all as if I have a sore throat or scratchy throat as a analogy. food irritates the area and liquids calm it down until it heals. The feeling can be felt anywhere along the esphogus or in the band area. The fact that you are not PBing or sliming is pretty good that you are not stuck.

Good luck

It's possible to PB without a fill. I PBed on my 3rd day post-op.

Maybe try some papaya tablets (don't do anything for me other than turn my PB orange, but lots of people seem to have good luck with them), or some meeat tenderizer disolved in warm Water.

Maybe try a tiny, tiny sip of something hot.

For me liquids are a sure fire indicator of whether or not something is stuck. If they pass, chances are I'll avoid a PB. If they hurt instantly, I know I'm stuck.

Nope never got sick. I drank warm liquids all day yesterday and finally it passed. It totally felt like I had a throat full of food. This morning I am feeling fine and have learned that maybe beef is just not my thing.

Sticking to really soft stuff today!

Meat tenderizer? Really???

Thanks guys!

Thanks so much! I have had something else do the same thing to me since then. It did not last nearly as long but it did happen. I guess it is just a learning game. Trying to figure out what MY body will tolerate and what works with my band??? Do you think?

I guess another question is this. When it happens should I drink something and try to get it to pass through or should I leave it as is and use the experience to learn what not to eat or when I am eating too fast. What do you guys think? I mean it hurts like hell but is that part of how we teach ourselves how to eat properly and slowly enough??

I am noticing that the more the swelling goes down the more quickly I am eating! I think I need to pay more attention but then again I am only eating mashed sweet potatoes and really soft stuff for the most part. The roast will be way in the future if ever again!

Thanks again!

One thing I learned when eating beef/ prime rib etc...I would take me bites of meat with a bite of veggies. canned green Beans worked best. Somethingto do with the veggies and meat together on my fork in my mouth helped to get it down better. I have also heard others try dipping sauces when eating beef...like BBQ, ranch something to lubricate it a bit. Very wise of you to stay on soft foods andliquids for a few days. You are possibly one of the lucky ones who has restriction without a fill. I was one of those for the first 9 weeks post op. It is a learning thing, you will find things that you can andcan not eat with trial and error. Good Luck :(

Thanks so much La_Madam! That is good info. I actually was better within about 28 hours. I started back on pudding and I drank skim milk as it felt like that was helping. Maybe something a little heavier than clear liquid but not anything that could get stuck was what I needed to get it to pass.

Today I ate chicken and it did the same thing but not for near as long. It seems like maybe I am just not ready for meats at all. I put a tiny bit of some well drained bacon in my potatoes (tiny pieces) and that seemed to have done ok.

It seems I am very restricted. I am not really losing any weight though despite the major calorie reduction. My clothes are a lot looser but little on the scale. I am happy with comfy clothes though.

Yeah I talked with my nurse about the restriction thing and she said it should go down. It does not seem like it is though. No compliants here just saying it is still very tight. I can not even comfortably eat a small yam. I found that out today. So it is going to take some time to learn how to eat and be comfortable.

Sivan, there is a thread at the top that says for beginners and it has all that info in it. It helped me a lot to find that! So check there it is part of the section that I think someone already listed for you!

Thanks again guys~