Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

STUCK in a RUT between thin & not fat enough

Oh the irony.

I'm not at a healthy weight for my height. It limits what I can do. I have exercised and changed my eating habits time and time again only to regain most of it. I've lost muscle so I'm actually fatter than I was. I'm getting older so my metabolism is slowing. I'm active but one injury away from being sidelined. If my BMI were to get any higher at some point I would likely come down with more health issues.

But today I am almost 5/7 and 209 pounds - so a BMI of 33. (a Lightweight)

Today' date=' I'm reading posts and realize there are a lot of "fatties' on VST there who have very strong opinions that people like me aren't "fat enough" to have VSG. Shocking! after what seems like a lifetime of being the largest person in the room that I come to a forum looking for support only to find I'm not sick enough or fat enough.

I would never presume that you shouldn't improve the quality of your life and health because your weight and co-morbidities raise your risk of serious complications yet you feel free to offer an opinion about us lightweights. You cant tell me what you would do in my shoes because you aren't in my shoes. I can empathize with your weight and poor health because I was my mom's advocate/caretaker for many years but her weight and all the medications she took for all her weight induced health issues killed her.

We all have our reasons for being here and each of us can only make a decision for themselves. I'm not looking for your validation or approval just support. If you cant offer me that then move along...[/quote']

Ummm.... Fatties???

No she didn't !!

There are plenty of people here just like you! I am one of them - I actually had a person I work with tell me "why did you do that, you weren't even that big" - and there were lots of others that thought it. I guess I "carried my weight well" for a big girl LOL

Everyone has their own reasons for weight loss - and all need support! I didn't want to wait until I was 300+ lbs and much older (I'm already 31!) to begin my weight loss journey if I didn't have to--- and I didn't! My surgeon approved me as a low risk patient which was even better- I didn't have to stay in the hospital and my procedure was outpaitient! :) This was a preventative surgery for me and I've had zero regrets! I love my sleeve and am well on my way back to my size 8 jeans at the top of my closet! 2 months out and back in a size 14 and L top.

*Hugs to you* I know you will find support here!

I was 190 when I came here prior to my sleeve and NO ONE.. Ever said anything of this sort to me. Fact, I've gotten so much support from everyone from all sizes. We're all in the same boat.. We eat food we love and have to kick the habit. We're all working for the same goal.

I must have missed the boat your riding in or I would have said something

Betty, sorry you feel that way. I really haven't picked up on that tone here. I have read other posters questioning people's decision to get VSG at any weight with the idea that people need to know that this is a drastic surgery- to make sure people are ready for it. There are lots of "light weight" posters here and several subforums like 50 lbs to lose, etc specifically for low BMI. All posters provide invaluable insight regarding success and failure with VSG. Low BMIers like Iggychick come to mind, we all apperciate her willingness to talk openly about her experience. I was what my DH called a squeaker, I was under 40 bmi and stopped my last diet in order to qualify for ins. You haven't posted much since joining VST but hopefully by participating more you will find the support you are looking for. Please feel free to PM me any time with questions or whatever. Good luck in your journey.

"Fatties"? LOL You're right, you don't fit in here. In all honesty, and in the spirit of true sisterhood, you should probably just head on over to MFP.

-Kendra

LOL Yeah I did. Sorry if it offended it was more to poke at the hypocrisy

Seriously though' date=' who tells someone that they are not obese enough. Thats just crazy talk[/quote']

May I ask who told you that here? I just looked at all of your posts (there are not many) and saw no one saying anything mean to you at all...

There are plenty of people here just like you! I am one of them - I actually had a person I work with tell me "why did you do that, you weren't even that big" - and there were lots of others that thought it. I guess I "carried my weight well" for a big girl LOL

Everyone has their own reasons for weight loss - and all need support! I didn't want to wait until I was 300+ lbs and much older (I'm already 31!) to begin my weight loss journey if I didn't have to--- and I didn't! My surgeon approved me as a low risk patient which was even better- I didn't have to stay in the hospital and my procedure was outpaitient! :) This was a preventative surgery for me and I've had zero regrets! I love my sleeve and am well on my way back to my size 8 jeans at the top of my closet! 2 months out and back in a size 14 and L top.

*Hugs to you* I know you will find support here!

I "carry my weight' well too especially if I tell someone how much I weight. They are like oh my but you dont look THAT fat. You carry it really well. Well thanks for the compliment :wacko: lol. My weight has been fluctuating for 26 years...its just the right time for me.

Thanks for posting

May I ask who told you that here? I just looked at all of your posts (there are not many) and saw no one saying anything mean to you at all...

Ha Ha laura-ven!! I bet her bougie will be smaller than your bougie!!