Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.. new and nervous

Hi there everyone,

I just joined this site. The thing is, my parents want me to seriously consider getting lap-banding done. I'm 22 years old and weigh about 125kgs. I know it's alot... and I know my health is suffering from it, but I'm really worried about getting lap-banding done. I don't want to die at 40, which is what my endocronologist and GP keep telling me is going to happen, but I don't want to be.. well unable to control the weight and what I eat.

I've read some other forums about people who ate too much with the band and have been throwing up and things, and I am starting to think that the bad things are outweighing the good things.

I was wondering if there was anyone sort of my age that has had lap-banding done and could talk to me about it, maybe even via MSN or email...

I am much older than you but I'm sure there are some younger bandsters at this forum.

You said that you weren't sure about the band because you wouldn't be able to control what and how much you eat....isn't that what your problem is now....the fact that you can't control what and how much you eat now, isn't that why you are a size that requires you to think about an alternative like the band?

Some of us have difficulties with the band because we sometimes don't follow the guidelines to prevent things from happening like vomiting, etc.......like eating small bites, chewing well, waiting a bit before each bite, not drinking while eating and stopping when we have that satified feeling.

You need to think more on what your priorities are here......being able to hang onto your existing eating habits which will kill you by the age of 40, or being banded....losing the weight, being healthy and living a longer life with much more quality to it....while MAYBE suffering a slight a bit of unpleasantness here and there.

Its the best thing I have ever done and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Carol

Im 19 but haven't gotten it done yet. But I really want to. If you want to talk maybe I could give you a different perspective since I want it done and I 'm close to your age. Also, I know the confusion and fear about deciding whether or not to get banded.

Thanks for the responses guys...

Carol -

You said you weren't sure about the band because you wouldn't be able to control what and how much you eat... isn't that what your problem is now... the fact that you can't control what and how much you eat now, isn't that why you are a size that requires you to think about an alternative like the band?

This is exactly what my parents are saying about it. I know that I feel in a way that I can't control what I eat and that's a problem. The thing that is annoying me is that it's really hard to control not eating junk when it's being forced upon you all around the place. It's on the TV, when you go out it's all around you. And the healthy food when you go out is actually more expensive than the junk food in some ways. Unless I go to the supermarket and do stuff from home that is.

Some of us have difficulties with the band because we sometimes don't follow the guidelines to prevent things from happening like vomiting, etc.......like eating small bites, chewing well, waiting a bit before each bite, not drinking while eating and stopping when we have that satified feeling.

And this is what is freaking me out as well. I'm really scared because if I can't control what I'm eating now then what makes me think that I can do it with the band? The band is meant to stop me from doing it, but if you can get around that then what's to say I can't just keep going the way I am going now?

You need to think more on what your priorities are here......being able to hang onto your existing eating habits which will kill you by the age of 40, or being banded....losing the weight, being healthy and living a longer life with much more quality to it....while MAYBE suffering a slight a bit of unpleasantness here and there.

I hate feeling like the "big" person wherever I go. Especially if I go out to eat somewhere. And I don't want to die at 40 either. And I also have PCOS, which a side effect is Weight Gain, which is why I have been steadily gaining weight from when I was a teenager to now, I have never been this heavy before. I have alot of lower back problems as well. And people keep saying if I get banding that is going to go away. But I'm still worried that I'm going to find another way around the band.

LilMisfit - I'd love to chat with you. My email address is Brumbie06@hotmail.com if you want to email me. It would be nice to have another perspective.

Brumbie

I think you should do a lot of research and do a lot of soul searching.

The fact that your parents are the ones suggesting this would lead me to believe that you are not yet ready to do what you need to do to be sucessful with the band.

When YOU are the one who is wanting to do something - then you do whatever you feel is right. Alas - your parents cannot do it for you.

Now, if they are supporting you in something that YOU want - that is fabulous and it will contribute to your sucess - but if this is something that THEY want for you - well - it just won't work.

Personally - I think anybody who is more than 60 lbs overweight for more than 9 mos should seriously consider banding - but until YOU think you should seriously consider it - the surgery will not work for you.

When you are ready - go for it. But, not until then.

I understand how it feels to be young, beautiful, and fat. The fat part sort of sucks the life out of the young and beautiful. But it's kind of like alcohol or drug addiction. You have to hit rock bottom before you can start to crawl out of the hole.

Keep on thinking. You will know when you are ready. Feel free to hang out with us for as long as you want to - whether you get a band or not.

Hugs!

Hello every one ,

I am new to this site and still trying to figure out everything.. I am scheduled to be banded Dec. 14th if I dont chiken out.. I haven't seen anything so far on the use of alcoholic beverages.. Will I ever be able to go out and have a drink with friends? Iam not talking about getting drunk just a drink. Has anyone ever mentioned this? Thanks