Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Borderline Bmi 41.3 and Kaiser

From a weight loss perspective, you're right. It doesn't really matter what you eat to get that 3% off. However, seeing the NUT isn't actually about losing weight before the surgery as much as it is about helping you build the habits and behaviors that set you up for success post surgery. She's going to be giving you the toolkit you need to rock the sleeve.

You'll have a number of things that the NUT wants you to work on over the next six months. Changing your typical diet is one of the more difficult things for many people, which is probably why she wants you to start that now. You have the luxury of making the changes gradually, rather than a crash course in crap diet to healthy diet :D Seems to me that getting that it out of your way so that the new eating style has a chance to become ingrained is going to make the post op transition easier, since you'll have plenty of other things to think about and deal with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using VST

Phone ap died mid post!!!

Anyways' date=' anyone out there with a just over the 40 or at 40 bmi have Kaiser permanente md/va/dc?

The difference between the right bmi of 41.6 & not that is about 4 # for me!!!! That's crazy!!! I got sick & lost 8# in one week. So because I've not yet been weighed for the kaiser weight loss surgery class I've been trying to keep up my " fighting" weight.

Any idea if Kaiser va/md/dc still makes you lose 10% of your body weight or any % really bc if I have to I'm worried I'll be denied.

[/quote']

I had Kaiser south san francisco. My bmI was 39 and the MD wanted me to lose at least 10 pounds. The approval was hard, but I repeatedly asked and advocated for myself. I asked for sleep study bec sleep apnea is a big reason to get approved, and it turned out I had sleep apnea. Also plantar fasciitis (foot pain) pain, knee pain and borderline hypertension and borderline diabetic. I put my foot down and said basically i need the surgery otherwise I will be diabetic and hypertensive. Good luck!

I'm with Kaiser So Cal and am also borderline BMI at 40. 99something... I just got referred and already went to the orientation. I have my first class starting the second week in May and I've heard so much about them wanting you to loose a percentage of your weight & I'm really nervous that at the end of the Options program they will deny me... argh, kaiser really makes you jump through hoops! So, just as you were, I'm really trying for once in my life NOT to loose any weight so that I will hopefully be at a higher BMI at my first official weigh in #crossingfingers

Sent from my iPhone

I'm excited that I finally found some folks who have Kaiser in the DMV!! I have Kaiser SELECT so I had my choice of four hospitals. I chose Dr. Salameh at Virginia Hospital Center after meeting him at one of the WLS seminars. I felt comfortable immediately and he patiently answered all of my questions (there were many). With Kaiser Select there is no weight loss requirement, you just can't gain any weight. To show my "commitment to the lifestyle change" I lost seven pounds and my nutritionist was ecstatic. I've completed all of my nutrition classes etc and my case is being reviewed by the committee tomorrow!!

RebbecaSparkles- keep going! It'll be over before you know it.

Dannipo- Congrats on getting your surgery date :) How's your liquid diet going?

Hello Tekeilla!

Hopefully, I'll see you at one of the Kaiser WLS support Groups. The waiting for approval was the worse.

My case went before the Obesity Work Group for approval on Tuesday Aug 20th. By 5:30 that evening I saw that the referrals were entered into my kaiser online.

I called and snagged the closest appointment with the surgeon that Kaiser chose for me. Which, I'm a little grumpy about because I don't really care which surgeon, I just want one that's available. And they referred me to Dr. Mayes, which I'm sure is a great surgeon but he's going on vacation and doesn't have any dates available for operating until October.

I did my initial consultation with Dr. Mayes on Aug 23rd. Pretty much just a meet and greet. Asking of any questions and such. The girl who takes your blood pressure and weight is a little brash, I always freak out when I get my BP checked and my BP is always high- like scary high. Even though I take meds to lower my BP. I asked her for a few moments to collect myself before she turned the machine on. She gave me like 10 seconds and then said oh yeah, this machine will double pump so if it gets really tight don't worry. Boy oh boy did it get tight. Like crazy tight. Not once and then let go like a normal one, but it got tight 3 times! No wonder my number was so high.

The following Tuesday I met with the NUT who works with the surgeon. She's like 100 pounds sopping wet and blonde with great hair, prepare to love/hate her. She gave me the pre-op diet description- I guess they've changed to only a one week pre-op diet as I only have to do 7 days. She also gave me the food progression.

I did receive my operating date on my first visit with Dr. Mayes which is October 3rd.

I got a laundry list of things to do, which I'm a little grumpy that I could of done them ahead of time according to Dr. Mayes as they don't "expire" and are relevant for 3 months or so.

I called member services to schedule them and they gave me a run around before finally scheduling what I requested.

I have an EKG where they check your heart, and blood work for liver panel, vit d, Calcium, Iron, etc... I also need a letter of clearance for surgery which requires a "physical" with the PCP. More co-pays... yay!

I have a follow up with Dr. Mayes towards the end of september to review my pre-op tests and do all those long forms for release of liability, surgical conscent etc...

That's awesome that you got your date so quickly. My NUT made me do the full 6 months of the program so I've been waiting some time just to get the board approval. What hospital is Dr. Mayes at? What does the 7-day diest consist of?

Oh no, perhaps you misunderstood.

Height 5'2" HW: 238 WLS Class 1- Visit 1: 3/18/13 235.2#

Mandatory Weight Control Class: 4/3/13 Visit 2 NUT: 4/18/13 227.6#

Visit 3 NUT: 5/15/13 226# WLS Class 2-Visit 4: 6/18/13 222#- told scale at that location not right.

PSYCH Phone Clearance-6/19/13 Surgeon's Seminar 6/20/13

Visit 5 NUT: 7/17/13 223.8# Visit 6 NUT: 8/13/13 221.8#

Approved: 8/20/13 First Surgeon's Visit: 8/23/13-219.4#

My PCP made me do the weight reduction class and try it on my own for 6 months, obviously that didn't work, so then, she made me do a year of Weight Watchers, then she agreed to refer me to the Weight Loss Surgery Program. I did the whole 6 months of Nut visits and classes before I finished and got approved. My nut didn't even call me to tell me that I was approved until friday of that week, and I was approved on a tuesday. WTF for real.

Dr. Mayes works with your doctor at Virginia Hospital Center.

Pre-Op diet is the usual no solid food- 5-6 shakes a day, sf Jello, sf pudding, sf yogurt, broth, sf popsicles, sf fudgesicles.

Oh wow you had to do a lot! Yeah I thought you started in March and got approved five months later, my bad.

OMG, that's so good to hear. I've been dreading having to get though two weeks of a liquid diet (that's what my NUT told me). The only other tests Dr. Salameh mentioned were an H. Pylori and sleep study. I'm going to have those done in a couple of weeks.

My goal was to have surgery in August and be down a few pounds in time for my birthday (Oct 11th). I am soooooo ready to get on the table.

I guess bc of my med history I didn't have to do the sleep study & h. Pilori tests.

Yes, I did start in march & finish in aug , its 6 visits.

I'm an Oct birthday too 10-15.

Have you already had your surgery?

I guess bc of my med history I didn't have to do the sleep study & h. Pilori tests.

Yes' date=' I did start in march & finish in aug , its 6 visits.

I'm an Oct birthday too 10-15.

Have you already had your surgery?[/quote']

No mam. My case will be reviewed by the board tomorrow. I'll be calling first thing Wednesday to see what the results were.