Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping surgery MY secret

Having weight loss surgery was a decision my husband and I made together. For personal reasons I made the decision to keep it strictly between my husband and I. We haven't told anyone not even family. I just did not care to hear all the judgement, opinions, criticism, etc. My issue now is I have an appt with my physician for a yearly exam and also to get clearance to have surgery on my foot. I have worked in the medical profession my entire life and know how nosey office staff can be and the loose tongues some tend to have. Yes there is suppose to be patient confidentiality but let's face it if there is someone that wants to spread gossip that's not going to deter them. My ? Is this..is there any harm if I don't disclose my VSG to my physician and to the physician that is going to be doing surgery on my foot? I don't want it in my medical record for the wrong person to read and broadcast all over town. Thoughts?

Don't they usually ask about prior surgery? I had hand surgery earlier this week and the doctor asked about previous surgeries. If foot surgery comes first then you don't have to say anything.

I decided to tell my family about my wls surgery. I thought they would all be critical and judgementle, but surprisingly they were not....not sure what they may say behind my back...lol

The foot surgeon I wouldn't worry about, but your PCP can be a great advocate and assist in your ongoing recovery. Mine is really supportive of my decisions and has helped me a ton. I would mention to him your fears, he may not have to write anything down. On the other side of the coin, I didn't tell anyone either, but I didn't try to hide the fact either. I'm not ashamed of taking the steps I needed to gain back my health and life. I was more ashamed of my weight than I would be for taken the steps I did. I'm not one for putting my business out there, but I won't duck it either. Good luck!

I sincerely understand your choice for keeping your wls to yourself.. But wow that's a tough question. Maybe you should ask your barbaric doc and then it probably depends on how long between surgeries as to what he will advise.

I'm interested in the answer also.

I had a question like that arise, and I basically spent 100$ out of pocket, and consulted another doctor outside of my medical group and said "would you really have needed to know that?". The answer I got was "if for any reason we had to go into your stomach, to revive, remove blockage, ANYTHING, we could have killed you without that information". I don't know, it is something to think strongly about.

I actually worked with a girl once that would forge signatures to medical releases and fax to the hospital to obtain records on her own family members. She was very nosey and determined to find out info they chose to keep private. You know she didn't keep the info to herself either but broadcast it. She did eventually get fired. Not for that reason but it did all eventually catch up with her. I just have major issues with trust and my privacy. I am proud of my decision to have the surgery and feel better than I have ever felt but just don't feel like dealing with all the judgmental opinions from my family and others.

Having weight loss surgery was a decision my husband and I made together. For personal reasons I made the decision to keep it strictly between my husband and I. We haven't told anyone not even family. I just did not care to hear all the judgement' date=' opinions, criticism, etc. My issue now is I have an appt with my physician for a yearly exam and also to get clearance to have surgery on my foot. I have worked in the medical profession my entire life and know how nosey office staff can be and the loose tongues some tend to have. Yes there is suppose to be patient confidentiality but let's face it if there is someone that wants to spread gossip that's not going to deter them. My ? Is this..is there any harm if I don't disclose my VSG to my physician and to the physician that is going to be doing surgery on my foot? I don't want it in my medical record for the wrong person to read and broadcast all over town. Thoughts?[/quote']

I can totally see your concern. Some people are just nosey.

I completely understand your desire to keep this a secret. I am also a very private person and I haven't told a soul about my WLS. That being said, if you are having a surgery that requires anesthesia I think you need to let the doctor know. The reason is because after they put you out if they need to intubate you for any reason, they absolutely must know that you had vsg or they could rupture your stomach unknowingly and kill you.

I am pretty sure you have to disclose all previous surgeries to your surgeon just in-case something happens to you. I'm sure you figure your stomach has nothing to do with your foot but I'm sure there are freak occurrences where something has happened and they need that info.

I totally respect your decision. I wouldn't tell any dr unless it was a danger to your life; I know what you mean about medical staff who tell all they know. All those HIPPA forms do not help in reality.

I am not telling anyone, period. My friends, workplace & neighbors knew I had to be off for a surgery, but I gave no details on what. It is NO one's business what I do with my body. I know my family would have a cow if they knew I had done this & gone through the past week without them to help me. (I am one week out!)

Talk to your surgeon and tell him your concerns. He needs to know your surgical history. When you go under anesthesia there are many devices they use to maintain your breathing, not always intubation. Most commonly they use a device called an LMA and it goes into your esophagus. If any issues arise your stomach is near by and may take the brunt of it (I don't want to go into details so as to not scare anyone unnecessarily) They definitely need to know about your sleeve. They also need to know how you have handled anesthesia. I completely understand wanting to keep it private, my hubby is the only one that knows about my sleeve.

The reason is because after they put you out if they need to intubate you for any reason' date=' they absolutely must know that you had vsg or they could rupture your stomach unknowingly and kill you.[/quote']

Intubation goes down the trachea not the oesophagus.

I would tell all my doctors. If it was spread around I would hire a lawyer. hippa laws are in place for this reason. What if you have a complication during surgery. If they run a blind tube they could kill you.

I understand not wanting anyone but your husband to know, but please tell your doctors!! There are so many different things that could go wrong during any surgery and since we're not doctors we really can't decide if being sleeved would be a factor. And with your primary doctor, its important that they have your full medical history so they can properly diagnose any health concerns that come up! When you tell your doctor and surgeon just express to them how private you have been about this. There may be a way for them to notate your chart that the staff wouldn't even have access to it.

But please, for your safety, tell your doctors!!!

Having weight loss surgery was a decision my husband and I made together. For personal reasons I made the decision to keep it strictly between my husband and I. We haven't told anyone not even family. I just did not care to hear all the judgement' date=' opinions, criticism, etc. My issue now is I have an appt with my physician for a yearly exam and also to get clearance to have surgery on my foot. I have worked in the medical profession my entire life and know how nosey office staff can be and the loose tongues some tend to have. Yes there is suppose to be patient confidentiality but let's face it if there is someone that wants to spread gossip that's not going to deter them. My ? Is this..is there any harm if I don't disclose my VSG to my physician and to the physician that is going to be doing surgery on my foot? I don't want it in my medical record for the wrong person to read and broadcast all over town. Thoughts?[/quote']

I had my sleeve done on feb 19th this yr and today in fact I had a d &c done I told my doc about the vsg and he was like oh ok and acted like no big deal bit when the Anastasia guy cam in I told him and he was like omg thank god u told me and noted in bold print ! So tell your doc if not doc then the Ana people