Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok guys and gals, I'm 13 months out and have lost #160. I'm having a problem with low blood pressure and also orthostatic hypotension (bp bottoming out upon standing or sudden movement.) I stay really weak and black-out at least 2-3 times a day. I understand this is pretty common among people that have lost a boat-load of weight. Has anyone else here experienced this? And if so, about how long did it take it to resolve (if it did.) Any tips to help ? (other than don't move fast :0P)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was having the same issue starting about 2 months ago. 3 doctors told me it was orthostatic hypotension, altho no BP test ever confirmed that. I had every heart, brain and blood test they had. They could find nothing wrong except a very low resting heart rate. The cardiologist wanted to give me a pacemaker, I swear. Anyway, I started tracking my Water intake and realized it was not as high as I thought it was. So I started tracking and drinking 128oz per day, along with a few packets of propel zero for extra electrolytes and the dizzy spells went away. I don't know if the extra water resolved it but the couple of times since then that I've felt dizzy was when I was way behind on my water.

Hey Butter. I knew you were having some probs too. The also ran all the heart tests on me too and everything was great. My bp sitting was 90/50 and so light they could barely find it. When I stand up, it goes down. When I lay down, it goes up. My surgeon also wanted me to try increased fluids. I bought 20 Powerade Zeros on sale this week. I am going to try to drink one every day. I figure I should know if it is going to help by the time they are gone. I know I don't drink enough, never have. I just find it strange that if that is the prob, it is just now showing up. I have an appointment with a neurologist today also.

It makes sense. As you lose weight BP is getting lower. Heart rates get lower as well. There are built in systems to compensate for hypotension (arteries constrict when standing for instance) but they may be underdeveloped as they have not been needed. At least that's my hypothesis.

I'm wondering if me not having muscles in my legs has anything to do with it too. I was crippled for two years before my sleeve. I had terrible fibromyalgia, untreatable tendinitis in my ankle and a broken knee. I was able to walk very very little. My muscles wasted. I fell down every other day. My orthopedic surgeon told me that it was because I was like a rag doll. My thigh muscles were not strong to hold my hips and knees in place. I had to have knee surgery and several weeks of PT just weeks after my sleeve. I still need a knee replacement, so I have worked my legs very little. Perhaps the lack of tone makes it hard for the blood to get back up out of my legs? The fat was probably helping to squeeze it back up before. I have started walking to try to help. It doesn't do anything for the dizziness of course, but it has GOT to be building muscle. I am sore in places that I didn't know I have????

I lost 100 lbs in 5 months and then another 10 lbs in the last 2 months. I have had more than a few dizzy spells from low BP. Hydration seems to help. Alcohol makes it worse. I am hoping for some improvement as time goes by.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I saw the doc today and she said I definitely had to increase my fluids (I lose them too fast.) she wants me to drink the sports drinks. She said they should raise my bp. She then said if that did not succeed she wanted to give me a pill to make me gain Water weight. Wha!!! After all I've been through, a pill to make me GAIN weight. I don't think so. I'll stick with the Powerade and not trying to fly.

The endocrinologist also called and said I had to come in for an adrenal function test on Tuesday. My labs came back too and my D is still really low. This can also cause dizziness/weakness/black-outs. He upped my dose from 2000IU BID to 5000IU BID; that is on top of the double dose of calcium/D and Multivitamins. Maybe it will get straightened out one day.