Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping to be banded in December. Anyone else have PCOS?

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and the doctor recommended that I lose weight as it would help reverse the related insulin resistance and would help with other PCOS symptoms. I told him about my frustrations with trying to lose weight and he said with the PCOS/insulin resistance and my current weight that I would meet the criteria to be a candidate for the Lap-Band. He referred me to a Lap-Band Dr and I had a consultation and am filling out the paperwork now. I've already met my deductable this year with my insurance (United Health Care) and am scheduled to attend the required before-surgery seminar on December 4. I'm 284 lbs and 5'7" and getting the Lap-Band would be the best Christmas present ever :)

I look forward to hopefully joining you Bandster's next month!

Just wondering does anyone else here have PCOS?

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago. I stopped taking the medications, along with birth control, just because I didn't really see any improvement. Since I've lost about 30 pounds since my surgery, back in July, I am now having my periods regularly and I'm sure some of my other symptoms will improve as I lose more weight.

Hope things work out for you as well.

Hello,

I have not been diagnosed with that but I did want to tell you that I have the same insurance and they are awesome...:clap2: . I do have one suggestion though. It is the end of the year so the approval process is taking longer than normal. Normally it takes about 10 business days to get the approval. I can sometimes be impatient when I really want something so what I did was call the insurance a couple of days after the doctor sent in the paper work. I got my case number and I called everyday to see what the status of the approval was. I was able to get my approval quicker I think because I called everyday. Good luck and I hope that you are able to get the present that you really want for christmas.:)

Pennywise..... I also have PCOS and started out at the same height and almost the EXACT same weight. I have lost 52 pounds since being banded in May. My periods returned to normal in July and have been like clockwork ever since. I saw my GYN a couple of months ago for an annual exam and she did an vaginal ultrasound and there were NO cysts on my ovaries! She even said I was ovulating at the time and I should have no trouble getting pregnant. I LOVE MY BAND!

Hi,

I in the PCOS club too - nice to meet you all.

Drews - I'm amazed to read that your PCOS has cleared up - there's hope for us all. I'd love to have another baby but thought it was near on impossible - the first time was a miracle as I was told i wasn't ovulating. I was taking Metformin for a few years but didn't think it was doing any good. I'm getting my op in the UK on the NHS and think my condition helped get me on the list. Penny - I'm the same weight too and 5'5" (just call me short arse :))

Do you guys have all the lovely side effects that go along with PCOS - the greasy skin/spots/cysts - I've finally been prescribed strong antibiotics - been on them for months - and the excess hair - my god I'd love laser hair removal. Looking forward to chatting with you - does anyone ever use the chatroom?

Lots of love,

Yvonne

x

Im another "cyster." Found out I had it in 2002. My doctor never gave my any options, but I found out this is a great way to treat the PCOS... loose the weight... restore some order to my endocrine system, and get rid all of those NASTY side effects... I hate PCOS. That is all there is to it.

Hi Beversman,

Love the term "cyster" that made me smile :clap2:

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the PCOS symptoms when the weight comes off, cos I hate it too.

Yvonne

x

Hi pennywise

Welcome to LBT! how did you go at the seminar? Any surgery dates yet...Drop by and let us know...We are a very supportive community and would love to hear of your progress.

:eek:

Yet another cyster, here! I was diagnosed in January 2005. I went to the doctor because I had missed 3 periods in a row (not unusual for me). I had horrible cystic acne for years, but I never associated it with my ovaries. I was even on Accutane for about six months, with no major difference. I mean, it helped the worst of the cysts, but I was still having to take antibiotics to take care of the flare-ups. THAT was the biggest waste of money ever ($1,200 dollars for the first month alone). If I had known that birth control pills would have helped more, I would have gone to the doctor before I did.

I was also prescribed Metformin, but I've stopped taking it. I was borderline prediabetic, but it gave me frequent hypoglycemia. It was horrible. The cure was worse than the disease, IMO.

Yet another cyster here :-D

By the way, have any of you been to soulcysters.net? I've been a member on there for years. It's the largest online support group for PCOS that I've hard of. Everyone is great, and there are boards for WLS cysters as well as allllllll sorts of other groups/boards.

You should all check it out :)

I was officially diagnosed just before my wedding in '03, but knew i had it for years before that. I've got every nasty symptom there is and have been on meds for blood pressure and cholesterol since i was 17 (i'm 24, will be 25 next month). Or had been on them anyway. Mid 2005 I couldn't afford my meds, felt better NOT taking them, so I didn't take them anymore, then lost insurnace......fast forward to now and I've got insurance again and I'm trying for the band again.

I'd had United Health Care originally, but it was a written exclusion in my policy :-( booooooo

My new insurance will cover it since it's a medical necessity though (just found out on monday!!!!). I got lucky and was able to get in to Dr. Cywes's office this coming Monday (the 11th) at 2pm!! Go in in less than a week!!! Amazing!

Next week I'll be jumping through alllll kinds of hurdles and hoops I'm sure trying to get all my tests/evaluations done, but I hope I can get them all done next week. I'm praying for a band for Christmas (as in, that week sometime). But we'll see. It's all in the Lord's hands. He's opened this door and I'm jumping through!! :( I*'ll keep you all in my prayers too :)

I'm at work so I gotta go for now...ttyl!! :)

-Panda-:wacko: