Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op Hunger Pangs

I was sleeved on 2/22, and am progressing well. Entering my third week diet plan, I am struggling with hunger. Needless to say, when I eat it does not take much to satisfy me, but the satisfied feeling goes away within an hour. I go back to work on Monday, and do not have the tme to baby-sit my stomach. Is there anyone else feeling this way? if so, how do you combat it?

Thanks!

It may be stomach acid. It gives the feeling of hunger. OTC prilosec can help it. It helped me...

I begin each day with Prilosec even though all of my GERD symptoms have disappeared after my surgery along with my snoring. Wife is happy.

well, okay.. I don't know...

What's you diet like now?

Like what are the typical things you are eating and amounts at a time?

I have those pains too.. I'm 6 weeks out. I refuse to believe it is really hunger because it happens after I eat.. anytime actually. I had seen a lot of posts before my surgery where people thought they were feeling hunger pains but it was really stomach acid, so that is what I always have thought this was... I tried gas-x strips. I put one in my mouth when I feel one of those pains and it really helps!

Laura - Thank you for asking. Below is my typical day.

Breakfast - Home-made Protein shake (16oz).

lunch - Bowl of Soup. Typically a "lite" Soup that has 15g of carbs or less

snack - a few tablespoons of low fat cottage cheese.

Water - throughout the day.

dinner - Usually soup, with a small helping of cottage cheese.< /p>

Snack - low fat yogurt and sugar free 15 cal popsicles.

I began week 3 post-op yesterday.

So the first thing I see is soup.. Not very filling!

What kind of Soup? Cream based? Everyone's diet stages are different are you on purée stage?

Or still full liquid?

Laura's got a good point about the Soup. I'd bump up the Protein, too. 60-90 g of protein daily is most surgeon's and nut's goal, depending on your weight. If you haven't already done so, set up a way to track your protein intake (along with calories and carbs, etc.) like My Fitness Pal. Its an app on both Apple and Android and they have a website. You can friend others sleevers and check out what other folks are eating if you need some ideas. Some ways to add protein during this stage: AT LEAST one more shake, switch out the lowfat yogurt for Greek yogurt (Dannon Greek light 'n fit comes in fruit flavors and has 12 g of protein per serving), try using Unjury chicken broth mixed into your soup to add 20 g of high quality protein. Good luck! It gets better!

I buy Progresso Soups as they contain less carbs than Campbells. Anything under 15g of carbs. I'm not on a liquid diet, but liquids agree with me more than solid foods. If. I eat something solid, such as an egg, I feel a tightness in my stomach. Almost like a constriction. However anything in Soup, including chicken or veggy's does not create that sensation.

I am concerned I am not taking in enough calories, though my Dr. claims my weight loss in right on track.

My theory on that is that with all the "liquid" in the Soup it's probably sliding through your stomach easier... your polyvoric valve is essentially not closed at all when you drink and having broth based Soups are pretty much like drinking. you don't feel the "restriction" as much. Feels good but is not going to keep you "full" for a good amount of time.

Have you tried purée to build yourself up to soft food?

Frankly, I can't stand the thought of puree'd foods. I'll try softer foods and work my way up I guess.

I know purée is gross to some people :)

Try a little ground turkey or chili

A lot of people have a hard time with eggs in the beginning.. Oh and CHEW really well and only eat a tiny bit at first.