Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Someone Help me please

Hey all I just started my pre-op diet today

I am having surgery Dec. 18th and go for pre-op testing dec. 12th anyways they got me on whey Protein Shakes mine is vanilla carmel this morning I could barely drink it at all they let me add splenda and walnuts and said I could add anything I thought would make it taste better besides Icecream can someone please give me some ideas of a way to choke this down please help :help:

i am on the same diet with the whey shakes, a few ideas i like. I mix the vanilla with 1/2 packet of the crystal light to go any flavor but I like orange, it ends up tasting like a creamcicle. Also, you can add the sf coffee syrups (torino,sp) they come in all kinds of flavors and have no calories fat etc. I have found the biggest selection at Cost Plus, the inport store. I also like the shakes WAY better in the blender with some ice, I use my magic bullet (the best 50 I ever spent) they just go down better. One more thing, after the 2nd day I didnt want another shake, not one so I called my dietician and he suggested broth and it really worked the hot savory broth was a welcomed change and I would have never guessed, I dont normally like broth. Anyway, hope this helps sorry for the long post.

Julie

Let's see, I added several things to make shakes more palatable!! You can use SF/FF pudding (use very little, it WILL thicken!!!), Peanut Butter, and fresh fruit. You can use the DaVinci or Torani SF syrups---they helped me a lot!!!! They have some new flavors of the SF/FF coffee Creamers out for the holidays. Hersheys makes a SF chocolate Syrup, for like chocolate milk, or ice cream topping, it is pretty good, and easy to use for shakes. You can use orange juice concentrate, for an Orange Julius type of drink.

It is not a pleasant diet...and in some ways it gets harder, but other ways it will get easier. The taste may never be something you can enjoy...sorry. But the cravings for carbs, and sugars will ease as you get into the diet by several days. And the simplicity of it, will eventually be a good thing. But the thing that finally kicked in and made all the pre-op and post op dieting worth while was seeing the weight dropping--quickly!!!

In the meantime, stay busy doing things, and just take your shake with you, and begin practicing the sipping as opposed to guzzling it just to get it finished ( I remember thinking that would help!!), sip and as wierd as it sounds, after the drink breath out with your mouth open (if you are home and alone...publicly it might not be too good of an idea!!), it will ease the aftertaste of some of the drinks. You can also especially at this point use a straw if that is the only way you can drink them, and put the straw further back on your tongue, bypassing some of the sweet tasting tastebuds on your tongue.

Soon all this will be a mere memory, and you will be doing what you can to help someone else through it. Tis hard, but oh so worth it!!!

Hang in there!!! Welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

Back again---I see there are a couple of you with the diet right now. You can order the syrups online as well, and the delivery is quick! You will be doing some shakes after surgery as well. Look up DaVinci syrups and Torani syrups--watch the shipping, it is all one price for I think it is 3 or 4 bottles with DaVinci, then it jumps. While you are on the website--checkout some of their recipes, for Pina Colada's etc...some are really yummy!!!

Kat

BooBoo....that sounds delish, but when we get into serious weight losing mode we need to remember that orange juice concentrate and limade both are loaded with sugar (and therefore the evil carbs)!

ituptome....there are too many really great Protein drinks and other supplements available these days to put up with one you don't just love!!

I would suggest order a sample set from bariatriceating.com (too late for your pre-op but you'll need it in 13 days!!). Their website is also extremely helpful for the afterlife!! Best wishes to you!!

I am not sure what kind of shake you have either. I found some at costco that is a powder form that one serving has 27 grams of Protein. That is a great amount in one serving. I put mine in the blender with ice and orange juice.........it makes it yummy. Another thing I do to zip it up is put a ripe banana in it. Makes almost a milkshake type drink.

Also, get a mixture you really like and freeze part of it..........makes you think you are eating ice cream and it is really pretty good.

Also, get some really good broths. I love the Knorr brand of the broth cubes. The vegetable broth is really my favorite, but the beef and chicken are great too.

I have been banded since the end of July 2006 and I am finally losing my constant mental hunger. The mental hunger is much worse than the physical hunger. Even all my baked goods for the holidays does not make my mouth Water anymore..........and my baked goods are better than 95% of all baked goods in the U.S. That is not bragging, it is just stating facts.

I pray you all have a very GREAT and wonderful Thanksgiving.

God bless

Wild

I really dont mind the whey Protein (eas) that I have but a ? for all you others. My dr requires me to use a shake that has less than 1 carb which makes the options slim and I can only mix in the syrups, crystal light or pudding/jello (the sf variety of course) I cant use any juice or yogurt or fruit at all? It sounds like some dr's have different preop requirements than others. I have to do this for 2 weeks and it consist of simply....shakes, sf pudding/jello, broth and sf popcicles and that is ALL! Oh, and thats 2 weeks preop and then the 1 week post op also (I think) The good part is I have already lost 7 pounds and Im on day 3!:clap2: So would love to be 15 ahead of the game before sx. Good luck to all!

Julie

Thanks for everyone's advice I will use these ideas to help me drink my morning shake

I wanted to add my doc didn't give me a choice on the whey Protein he has them at his office and he said that was the only kind I could use

which of course I didn't like so I thought I will go to sam's and buy some behind his back and buy his so he thinks I am drinking these well he emailed me and said make sure I am drinking his shakes because they have a lot more good stuff

I don't want to start off cheating but these shakes are called b-complex and they suck so bad but I will try to stick it out if not I am buying my own brand with similar ingredients thanks for all your help and support

I really dont mind the whey Protein (eas) that I have but a ? for all you others. My dr requires me to use a shake that has less than 1 carb which makes the options slim and I can only mix in the syrups, crystal light or pudding/jello (the sf variety of course) I cant use any juice or yogurt or fruit at all? It sounds like some dr's have different preop requirements than others. I have to do this for 2 weeks and it consist of simply....shakes, sf pudding/jello, broth and sf popcicles and that is ALL! Oh, and thats 2 weeks preop and then the 1 week post op also (I think) The good part is I have already lost 7 pounds and Im on day 3!:clap2: So would love to be 15 ahead of the game before sx. Good luck to all!

Julie

congrats on your weightloss sounds like you are doing awesome

i am all ready for turkey day tomarrow, i talked to my dietician and i can have "a little" turkey since its no sugar and ff it sould be fine he says, soooo i just bought some sf cranberry Jello for my side dish and som sf cheesecake pudding for dessert, i am sure it wont be as good as the stuffing and mashed potatoes but this way i wont have to go hide during the dinner. i think i will also try adding some pumpkin pie spice to a vanilla shake and try that. its really silly how creative ive become with this.

B Vitamins are just nasty tasting. There is no way around that. Sorry.

If you REALLY feel that you have to cheat - eat raw vegetables. They have no carbs and they have the all important texture that one craves when one is on liquids.

**and if you can't force yourself to drink the nasty B Vitamin shakes - look at the label. Determine how many carbs, how many Vitamins - and see if you can come close with a better tasting product. I like Six Star powder - you can get it at Walmart - and Atkins pre-mixed shakes.< /p>

Good luck. Stay tough.