Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fizzy tango slush, 9weeks post op

Hi guys, just wanted your oppinions on whether or not I should have fizzy tango slush, they sell at the cinema, im 9weeks post op, I am having craving for fizzy drinks, so was thinking whether or not I should have the tango slush as its not that fizzy due to ice content.

Hope to hear from you soon

Is it diet? Other than being concerned about carbonation (which may not be as much of a factor with the ice), the next major concern is the level of sugar in the drink. If it's not diet, it's probably SUPER LOADED with sugar! I would stay away.........

If you really must have a "fizzy" drink to slay your craving, buy a small diet carbonated fountain drink with lots of ice, Swirl it around to get most of the carbonation out, and just have a few sips. It's likely your stomach won't be crazy about it in any case and you won't really want more.

But my advice would be to avoid altogether, if you can.

At 9 weeks, I really wouldn't do it. But hey, yolo right? I think your stomach is going to settle the issue for you, but why be denied if you are craving it? If you do it, come back and tell us how you do.

I would say no due to the sugar and maybe caffine intake.. thats my 2 cents anyways Good luck to you...

Thx for the advise, I will try it just as a one off, and see how it goes down, will surely let you know.

As it has ice, the carbonation wont be as a regular fizzy drink, as for the sugar content, I dont think I will be able to have much, so I think a one off sugar intake wont harm.

Thanks again for the advise, will post again to let you know how I get on. Wish me luck, lol.

Good luck!

Just a warning tho lol if you try a fizzy drink for the first time in public just beware you will burp really really loud lol

And your tummy will probably be full at one sip :P

Thx for letting me know, just to let you know its not a proper fizzy drink like coke or lemonade, its slush, majority of its crushed ice with flavouring and it has little fizz, nowhere near as the fizz in carbonated drinks.< /p>

Thx for letting me know' date=' just to let you know its not a proper fizzy drink like coke or lemonade, its slush, majority of its crushed ice with flavouring and it has little fizz, nowhere near as the fizz in carbonated drinks.[/quote']

Ah okay :) that probably shouldn't bother your stomach.

Slippery slope

I think a one off sugar intake wont harm.

It may temporarily harm more than you think! You body has now become accustomed to low carb levels (I'm assuming you're limiting your carb intake so close to post-op). A sudden influx of sugar may create a "dumping" reaction.

Dumping is much more common in patients that have had Gastric By-pass or have the Lap Band, as it is due to the uncontrolled release of high-carb stomach contents into the digestive tract through the exit of the "pouch".

VSG patients don't have a pouch, but liquid sugars do flow into the intestines quickly and will give you the symptoms and discomfort that a true "dumping" experience would produce.

As posted by the mayo Clinic:

Symptoms of dumping syndrome are most common during a meal or within 15 to 30 minutes following a meal. They include:

Gastrointestinal

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Feeling of fullness

Cardiovascular

• Flushing
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate

Signs and symptoms also can develop later, usually one to three hours after eating. This is due to the dumping of large amount of sugars into the small intestine (hyperglycemia). In response, the body releases large amounts of insulin to absorb the sugars, leading to low levels of sugar in the body (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of late dumping can include:

• Sweating
  • Hunger
  • Fatigue
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness
  • Confusion
  • Heart palpitations, rapid heart rate
  • Fainting

There's no promise this will happen to you with your "one off" ingestion of a sugary liquid drink such as the fizzy tango, but there is a good chance and I don't think you would enjoy having this experience in a public place! If you really feel the desire to try out the fizzy tango, perhaps you could buy one beforehand and try it at home? That way if you do have a negative experience (such as dumping), you will be home and able to manage your reaction in private!