Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Biggest FEAR is not the Operation but....

My surgery date is 2/28, so its coming very fast. I'm really looking forward to it and I am really not nervous at all, RATHER my biggest fear is once I am sleeved that I will still have the same very strong hunger drive and will want to eat like I use to and I will have to fight that off constantly. I understand the surgery is just a tool and that I need to do my part and eat healthy, I get that however if it was so easy all the diets I have been on would of worked better for me. I'm counting (praying) that my hunger drive is much less. Can anyone ease my mind or am I doomed??

What you are feeling is completely normal. I was concerned also that I would still want to eat as much as I did before surgery, but after surgery was a whole different story. I have very little desire to eat most of the time. I do not have near as many cravings as I did before surgery. That for me is the best part in that I am not craving unhealthy foods. The day of my surgery, I went into the operating room starving to death. I had been on a two shake a day diet for two weeks and was ready to gnaw my own arm off to satisfy the hunger. Thankfully, I restrained and still have both of my limbs. When I was back in my room after surgery, I realized quickly that I wasn't hungry. For the rest of the day, I expected to be hungry as I normally would be, and I never was. The next day, same thing. I had my surgery on November 12, and even now I am not hungry most of the time. Sometimes, when I do feel hunger, it is strangely enough heartburn. I take some Gaviscon liquid and the hunger goes anyway. Many days, I have to force myself to eat something. There are days however when I do feel hungry quite a bit. I will take a couple of bites of a Protein of some sort, and the hunger will go away and usually will stay away with the more protein that I eat. So, what you are feeling is a normal fear. Keep your head up and good luck with your surgery at the end of the month.

I worry about the same thing. My hunger drive is so high. If I could manage it on my own the million diets I have been on would have worked. I am prepared to work and do my part but I am looking for the hunger drive to be less. I know I didn't answer your question but I was glad to see someone else fear the same thing!

Its only been a couple days, but, my focus on food has transferred to liquids. It's just such a fight to get the amount of liquids you need in, there's not much room to think about anything else because it takes so long to get the necessary amount in. I don't feel hungry but I dont feel full, I don't really feel anything in my stomach right now except gurgling. For the first time in my life it's just a body part of mine.

I am 8 weeks out and I have been on a hunger rollercoaster. I am hungry quit often but eat small Snacks here and there to stop the craving. I have had my eyes wide open when Im hungry and something I used to eat is right in front of me. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!! Some people can stop snacks or change to healthy snacks which I did but its your will power and the tought of gaining the weight back which holds you back from eating alot. Oh and some stomach pains of overload and burps will tell you, you had enough. I still look at a plate of food and think I can finish it but in reality I can only eat 1/4 of what I used to eat. Imagine eating foods and then snacking to be full but dont worry 3 bites down and your pretty much done full to max. You will see the big difference and dont fear you will eventually learn and get used to losing weight that the bad habits of eating fast or eating for two or even worse fried foods, you will get disgusted and never miss it.

After surgery I have not truly felt hungry at all. Now I do get cravings for things once in a while but it is all mental, and I try to find a healthy substitute for what I am craving. It really is much easier then any other diet I have ever been on because of the loss of hunger sensation and the fact that if I eat to much it hurts. Good Luck.

fear once I am sleeved I will have same hunger driv

JMS

ghrelin is the hormore that is produced in the stomach that works with the brain to signal that you are hungy

this hormone (I think) is supressed (not made??) after surgery for awhile - therefore you shouldn't be hungry post WLS :)

to be very honest though - some people react differently, and still are hungry :angry: just throwing that comment in, but i "think" for the most part - peoples hunger is diminished for awhile

for me "it" worked for approximately 6 months - then i gradually became aware that i was slightly hungry again,

having "head" hunger is something "we" have to deal with at times - you think you are hungry, but you really aren't

or. you just want to eat "like you used to"

similar to Pavlov's Dog - "he" would ring the bell and the dog would always run to the food and eat

I'm trying to compare the above with me/us turning on the tv (my/our) trigger - and wanting to eat

we all/most have to deal with these hunger feelings eventually

2/28/13 WLS - you are right, it will be here before you know it :)

don't set yourself up already and worry about what may or may not happen concerning being hungry right after surgery - hopefully that won't happen to you (for awhile!)

you'll love your sleeve - which deals with a new happy, healthy lifestyle for the rest of your longer life!!!

good luck

speedy recovery

Prior to my surgery I could down a LOT of food. I mean a LOT. Then an hour or two later I would be ready for more. I am only 7 weeks out, but I have not once felt hunger yet. I have to remind myself to eat and it is often a chore. We can only eat such a small amount of food that it almost doesn't even seem worth it. Your worries are normal, but I really think you won't have much hunger and you will fill up on a very small amount of food. Keep us posted!

I have the same worries. I too am scheduled for the 28th. I worry that I'll ultimately feel the same about food as I do after I get over the euphoria of a major diet. That is - I get all psyched up, buy into whatever diet gets my fancy - and then after I reach my goal, or slip even just a little bit - my appetite comes back and my will to succeed evaporates.

I also worry that not only will I still have my pre-sleeve appetite and cravings, but the fact that after sleeve I will be physically unable to eat what I want when I want will really be frustrating and sad. Like having my mouth wired shut - if that makes sense.

It really really changes!! I promise! People ask me if I feel deprived, because I can eat so little. Really? 2-3 bites of something and I am done. and it's not like I eat 2 ounces of food and stop because I force myself to. I eat and I am satisfied like I ate a six course meal.

Even hunger is different. It's more of an 'I'm empty' feeling than ravenous hunger.........unless I go too long without eating, at which point my sleeve has a temper tantrum until I eat something.

Things change after the sleeve. They really do.

BIG HELP. thanks ALL!

I had my wls on 1/2/13, and have lost a little over 30 pounds. Your fear was my fear actually it was what I feared the most. When I read this forum, I realized everyone was different. I was hungry all the time. However your sleeve is your friend, and will restrict you from eating large amounts. So when I was hungry, I would eat, but 2 or 3 bites and the restriction would start. A string cheese and some Water would usually do the trick. So you might be one who is hungry, and if so, feed your sleeve, it will tell you when you are done. As you can see 30 pounds down in 5 weeks, even with the hunger.. You will do great. Much luck and speedy recovery!

Yes things change! I have not really felt hunger since surgery. My sleeve lets me know I am over due for for food by triggering slight nausea! If I don't give it some food the nausea gets stronger and stronger . I try to eat every every three hours and I make sure I have Protein right before bed or I wake up during the night nauseous !! I am 5 months out.

BIG HELP. thanks ALL!

You will do great! I am looking forward to reading about your success! :)