Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters

Hi Mel - welcome! I know what you mean about afraid of getting sick right before surgery - I took airborne - swear by that stuff but the dr told me now since I'm banded I can't take it anymore due to the fizzies - like alka seltzer. It won't hurt to take it pre-op its loaded with Vitamins.

Dee - you said "I have found that the surgeon in MX had all his paperwork, pre-op and post-op, for the patient's info. much moreso than the doc here in the states." Do you think its because the dr's in Mx probably aren't going to see any of their patients again? And I was curious about that - bc having it done here we go to the dr for pre-op visits, post-op and anything inbetween so what do you do once you leave Mexico? Do you get a dr up here who will see you? Just wondering.

I talked to Nate - the PA - he said I can rub E or hydrocort... cream on my itchy's if I want and I can pull the rest of the tape off since I had healed so well when they saw me on Thursday. AND this is the BIGGIE....

I CAN EAT CHRISTMAS DINNER!!!!

:hungry:WOOHHOOO!:clap2: YIPPEE!!!:cheer2:

Of course I have to puree it but still I'm excited! I have everyone at my house for Christmas Eve and its a buffet of everyones favorites - oyster stew, hot wings, taco ring, cheese tray - you get the picture - food - so I'm ok with that.. I figure I'll eat the oyster stew and I'll be happy with that but then on Christmas day its just hubby, and the girls and its important to me to make them the ham dinner we always have so I was a bit disappointed about not being able to eat that day - with them, ya know? but my dd - thats dear doctor - has a heart. I wasn't suppose to go to mushies until the 28th after my post op visit. How's everyone else handling the holidays? I'm thinking of you B-man - actually you won't really feel like eating at that point will you - I'm sorry hun, remind me when you're getting banded - is it 4 days????!!! Friday?

Nat- love you!!! you make me lmao! So when you get back to work and someone says medical leave whisper - ((lady stuff)) How long did you have to wait to shower? When I read sweethot had what 6 days? I was like omgoodness! I was able to shower 2 days later. Although if you saw me today at 12:31 pm in my jammies - STILL - you wouldn't know it.

Guess I'll go take a shower.

<!-- / message -->

Dawn - good to hear from you again! I'm sorry to hear your about the port pain - do you think you over ate? I can't imagine going through this and taking care of the babes - God love ya girl!

And I know about the un-encouraging words from family - my mother in law - ugh! I never told her I was having the surgery but dh (and its not dear this time) did. My step-father in law's son got the band and all I've heard was the bad about it from them - so I never even told her to pray for me. But she did call to see how I was doing and said she hopes it works for me. So we will leave it at that. My mom, sister, neice, ex sil, daughters, hubby... they are sooooo supportive and so excited to see me lose weight. Just talked to my neice and she said she could tell in church that my face looked thinner. I said you know it was one thing being over weight but then when I got so fat that it distorted my looks - thats when it really became a problem. Yes its vain - but being overweight I could still look nice but being obese I never felt like I looked nice. I'm talking past tense and I'm still obese ... lol ... but its the hope talking.

BTW - my middle name is Hope - true story.

Hey steph, the pain wasn't due to overeating it was in the middle of the night, right where the port is. I will just have to keep an eye on it....and see if I get it anymore and call doc. My hubby is supportive......he works out of town and everytime he calls home he asks me if I have lost weight and if I am eating sweets.......that really bugs me, I don't know why? It kind of makes me feel rebellious like someone is checking up on me or something.....I am going to tell him just not to say anything unless I say something. I can do that, right? I don't want to blow this.....and have this morning after the waffle.....but I am going to do liquids rest of the day to try and make up for it. I really need to find something other than food to nurture my soul!!!! Oh I was going to tell you about the stuck thing...you will know. I have been mildly stuck twice so far....felt like a golf ball was in my chest., but was better after a few minutes. I am sure it will be ten time worse after a good fill.

Does anyone have any ideas about non food nurturer (sp)....especially when exhauted and kids have gone to bed.....maybe herbal tea????? I have got to get some better habits!

i can't believe gas pain is for a week!!

I am dying here! I have some German pain meds, and I am only allowed to take it twice a day, so I am waiting till before i go to bed to take it.

i feel like crap! I have to keep walking around my house. I'm getting dizzy from the back and forth in this short house!

I can start Protein shakes tomorrow, and Soup with no chunks, just broth or creamed Soup through a strainer.

i'm not hungry at all though, just pianful. My daughter has her ballet recital tomorrow, hopefully i will be up for it. If this gas will just go away. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will walk my village, execpt i'm scared because I live on a huge huge hill, hills are everywhere, there is no escaping them.

Seet hot.....gas is definitely the worst part of surgery, and I think some of us get it worse than others. One thing that helped me a little is to sit or lie down, put your hands behind your head like you are going to do a sit up, and then deep breathe as much as you can......I hope you do better.....good luck! I sure hope you can go to the recital.

sweethot - did you get some gasx? I had to take it a few times - not sure what other you could use to relieve the gas - I used a heating pad alot - still do at night. And I walked - back and forth through the house - had hubby laughing at me.

Dawn - my favorite tea is Celestial Seasonings, Madagascar vanilla Red - I'm not really a vanilla lover but I love this tea! and its 100% natural and caffine free - it says its Rooibos tea with vanilla bean.

While I'm thinking of it - how many of you are coffee drinkers? I was a pot a day - and I haven't had a cup since I got banded. I can't stand it, every morning I make a pot for hubby, pour a cup, take a taste and dump it out. Then I make a cup of tea. SOOOOOO weird.

Take a look at the scar stages - just posted my 8 days out scars. I'm a sicko. Not sure if I was bloated from the surgery one my day 2 pic or if it was just the camera angle but geesh - big difference in my belly.

oh brilliant i love pics i must be sicko too ...lol

has anyone experience free cleansing (my whole bowel contents hit loo today it scared shit out of me i was scared to look incase my bowels had collapsed )i am usually constipated so this was a massive shock to me

LOL Mystique - too funny! I was always an everyday maybe twice a day pooper but after my surgery I was like ok what should I do... I bought some prune juice and came home from the store and exploded. I haven't opened the prune juice yet - think I'll mark it on the calander and see if its still there next Christmas. I'm still not going everyday but then theres not alot going in so there can't be much to come out.

Hello,

I was banded last Friday afternoon. Other than some gas I fell really good. I am allergic to most pain meds so the gave me some tylenol before they sent me home. It was done outpatient since I paid for it out of pocket. I really haven't had any need for pain meds, walking helps when the gas gets bad. I haven't been hungry and am having trouble getting enough liquid in. Although, I am trying to add Isolate Protein Powder to almost everything. I think the being tired is the lack of Protein.

I came back to work Monday and am looking forward to the holidays.

I hope all of you have a great Holiday Season and we'll all start the new year healthier!

:girl_hug: Dee

Dee did I understand you correctly? You had the surgery Friday and went to work Monday? Thats great! You sound like you did very well. I went to work after 3 days but I was only there an hour and all I did was open mail and enter checks. Not real strenous work. Anyway its good to have you with us.

Hi everyone!

I'm finally feeling ok (surgery last Thursday afternoon) and also finally have *power* again so I can post! A huge windstorm hit a few hours after surgery so instead of staying at my mom's just overnight or two nights, I was there almost 5 days, as my house didn't get power back until last night!

And man, how in the world do some of you manage without the pain meds? I used the last of the liquid vicodin last night and actually got the refill in case I need some more (trying to do just tylenol or advil for the time being). I felt *great* the day I came home after surgery, then Friday it felt like a semi ran over my belly! Now it's down to feeling like a large pickup truck. But man! Ouch! Vicodin is your friend... :biggrin1:

I didn't really get gas or shoulder pain, but did get the itchies really bad a day after surgery. The nurse who called to check on me thought it was a reaction to the liquid vicodin. Glad that passed!

Also, I've never been the most regular, and well, I had to drink some milk of magnesia TWICE before I got some movement. Yeah, that was fun... not! Does anyone know when they got back to their "normal" regularity? I'm thinking it may not be until I'm back on solid foods...

Anyway - I'm glad everyone did so well, and good luck to those that haven't had it yet. Yes, the pain and discomfort is WORTH IT! :clap2:

Annie

sweethot - they put staples in you AND they didn't give you any pain meds? Like Whitney Houston says, "Hell to the naw!" Do you have liquid tylenol? Are you able to take ANYTHING aside from the two-per-day pills? Gosh, that's awful. I'm so sorry you're in pain. Call and ask for something else.

I finally bought the GasX strips, and I also got some cherry cream chewables. I was chomping them as soon as I got back into the car. I feel a bit better, but I was hoping to have a good belch or something by now. I'm less bloated.

I am still unable to get in all of my liquids for the day. I'm supposed to have 96oz of fluids, either Water or the liquid diet. SO far today I've had a hot chocolate and a cup of Soup. I've had 3 cups of tea and some of that Propel I swore I wouldn't drink. I'll work on drinking another couple of glasses of Water and another Protein Drink. Nathalie is struggling!

Dee you are a total warrior for going to work on Monday. I had my surgery last Thursday and if i had to go to the office this week I'd be a complete Grinch. I am going in on Thursday for the office potluck, which is stupid because I can't eat anything. I'm taking christmas Cookies, and I'm going to bake a few sweet potato pies for office mates.

mystique, I am praying for a doody.

dawnae, I get the same kind of port pain in the middle of the night. I think it's from laying wrong. Either something was pressing against the port, or I've hit it. It kills! When it happens, I get up and take a hit of that liquid vicodin.

StephC - I am not a coffee drinker. Which is why it's so stupid that I ordered the Cappuccino from the list of pre surgery foods. I've been trying to add vanilla and cinnamon and Splenda to it, but it's nassy. I won't be eating Christmas dinner this year. I'm skipping the family dinner entirely so I don't have to deal with the questions. Believe me, I'll be much happier here with my baby.

Annie - I'm with you: Liquid Vike is my dawg! Glad you're up and at 'em. I bought some chewable Fiber (orange cream flavor) and had a couple this afternoon. I am hoping to see some action within the next day or two.

Gotta go feed the boy, he's getting rambunctious. And I need to try and get down another drink or two.

Nat

I am also a December Bandster! I got banded on Dec 1, 2006. I weighed in at 217 (5'4") and I have been faithful to my diet of mostly liquids. Now I weigh 203. I will be filled on January 10th in Georgia. I live in Massachusetts and have to make th trip down there. I can't wait, because I feel like I could eat things I should not, and look forward to a more full feeling after the fill. I will add a bar with my weight and a picture, but I have not figured out how to do that yet. my goal weight is 135.