Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

veggies after protein for small portions

I am always sliming or getting the uncomfortable feeling after eating 3-4 ounces of dense Protein (a little dry) at lunch and dinner meals. I am eating seaweed salad at lunch. It feels like the Vargus nerve feeling because I get numb/cold hands, dizzy, light headed and ringing in the ears, even 10 min later. I am trying to eat slow, but that is my biggest weakness. Takes me about 5 minutes to chew the Protein. Any suggestions so I can eat my veggies to get the nutrients? I like the taste of seaweed salad!! As you know, I am 7 months post op.

Edit: move this post to POST OP forum.

Have you tried eating veggies between meals, does that bother you? I don't have the problems you are having, so I am not sure what the best advice would be. Also for nutrients, you could try fruit. If you are worried about carbs, stick to things like berries. I like mixing strawberries with Greek yogurt so I am getting Protein in and fruits in. If you are getting the slimmies, you may be eating a little too much. I know 3-4 ounces doesn't sound like much, but if I ever get sick, it is because I ate too much too fast. Do you get protein in from other sources?? Sorry I am not much help, hopefully you can find a solution!

I still can't eat 4 oz. of dense Protein. Try sticking with 3. Also, at 7 months, I often ate 2 oz. of dense Protein so I could fit in some veggies when I craved them. I didn't really have room for more than a bite or two of veggies till further out. At 7 months, I still occasionally used protein powders to get enough protein in a day, esp. when traveling.

I've always tried to get 65 grams of protein per day, so around 7 months, my protein looked like :

So, sample day:

Soy Latte: 7 grams

2 slices turkey lunchmeat: 10 grams

---------------

2 oz. tuna: 14 grams

------------------------

2 oz. chicken breast: 14 grams

---------------

1/2 C. of Greek Yogurt: 12 grams

I still can't eat 4 oz. of dense Protein. Try sticking with 3. Also' date=' at 7 months, I often ate 2 oz. of dense Protein so I could fit in some veggies when I craved them. I didn't really have room for more than a bite or two of veggies till further out. At 7 months, I still occasionally used protein powders to get enough protein in a day, esp. when traveling.

I've always tried to get 65 grams of protein per day, so around 7 months, my protein looked like :

So, sample day:

Soy Latte: 7 grams

2 slices turkey lunchmeat: 10 grams

---------------

2 oz. tuna: 14 grams

------------------------

2 oz. chicken breast: 14 grams

---------------

1/2 C. of Greek Yogurt: 12 grams[/quote']

Thanks. I am going to try eating 2-3 ounces of protein per meal to see if that leaves room for some veggies.

I'm not quite 5 months out (hope that doesn't get me kicked out of the "vets" forum!)and eating 2 ounces of Protein like chicken or red meat is hit or miss at best. Some days I can, some days it simply isn't going to happen. My body thinks vegetables have gone extinct. I supplement with Vitamins and Protein Drinks as well to maintain nutrition the best I can, but I'm going to try grazing on veggies in between protein battles. It's gotten easier up to now, so I'm assuming it will hopefully continue to get easier (but not too easy !) :P And hopefully, my hair will stop coming out by the handful as well !

A year out I still can't handle more that 2-3 oz of dense Protein. I have to eat it VERY slowly. Meals for me take an hour if there is very dense protein. I weigh and measure my food and eat it slowly over the course of the day. It's 2;09 PM and I still haven't finished my lunch or part of my Breakfast. That's just the way I do it.

A year out I still can't handle more that 2-3 oz of dense Protein. I have to eat it VERY slowly. Meals for me take an hour if there is very dense Protein. I weigh and measure my food and eat it slowly over the course of the day. It's 2;09 PM and I still haven't finished my lunch or part of my breakfast. That's just the way I do it.

I wish I had your draconian sleeve. I seem to eat 3 oz of dense protein with no problems in 10 min or so, sometimes less depending on my ability to slow down.

I am always sliming or getting the uncomfortable feeling after eating 3-4 ounces of dense Protein (a little dry) at lunch and dinner meals. I am eating seaweed salad at lunch. It feels like the Vargus nerve feeling because I get numb/cold hands' date=' dizzy, light headed and ringing in the ears, even 10 min later. I am trying to eat slow, but that is my biggest weakness. Takes me about 5 minutes to chew the Protein. Any suggestions so I can eat my veggies to get the nutrients? I like the taste of seaweed salad!! As you know, I am 7 months post op.

Edit: move this post to POST OP forum.[/quote']

Injury has this protein cheese sauce... You could eat it on your veggies.

I wish I had your draconian sleeve. I seem to eat 3 oz of dense Protein with no problems in 10 min or so, sometimes less depending on my ability to slow down.

If I eat it all at once, too fast I am guaranteed to get sick. I can eat anything, just slowly.

Injury has this Protein cheese sauce... You could eat it on your veggies.

Will try that. Thanks!

I think I responded to this in the other forum, but I generally work in 3 servings of fruits or veggies a day. I eat meals every 2.5 to 3 hours, so that I can get away with eating a little less Protein per meal, and still hitting 60 grams in a day.

It does take planning, though. I spend about 20 minutes every morning packing my meals for the day. I eat cheese with grapes, cheese melted over broccoli, apple or strawberries with PB2, lentils with veggies, fruit with greek yogurt, etc.

My meals are around 10-15 grams of Protein each. I don't eat meat, so I don't know how that sits in your tummy.

I can't eat 4 oz of dense Protein at 4 years out. If I want veggies or side dishes, I have to work that into the volume I am going to eat. If I have about a cup of food on my plate including veggies or whatever, there is going to be less meat.< /p>

I think I responded to this in the other forum' date=' but I generally work in 3 servings of fruits or veggies a day. I eat meals every 2.5 to 3 hours, so that I can get away with eating a little less Protein per meal, and still hitting 60 grams in a day.

It does take planning, though. I spend about 20 minutes every morning packing my meals for the day. I eat cheese with grapes, cheese melted over broccoli, apple or strawberries with PB2, lentils with veggies, fruit with greek yogurt, etc.

My meals are around 10-15 grams of Protein each. I don't eat meat, so I don't know how that sits in your tummy.[/quote']

meat sits surprisingly well in my stomach. There was some time when my body thought beef was the enemy, but now they get along just fine. All other types of meat are perfectly fine including, but not limited to, poultry, pork, fish, crab, lobster, etc. I am surprised at how much my diet revolves around eating one kind of lean meat or another. I make sure whatever meat i am eating is 98% fat free or better. I target about 25 grams protein every mini meal, 5-6 a day. At least one is a shake (6am), but the rest make me feel like such a carnivore. In a good way, I suppose. Need the protein because i am a fairly active guy now. I get a lot of nutrients from my assortment of Vitamins and am just started Amazing Grass, which is, well, amazing! I hope these supplements are helping me bridge the lack of greens at every meal. I try and get one green serving in a day for 1 meal ( usually dinner). It is usually broccoli, green Beans or something like that. I am slowly introducing a new veggie here and there, but it is a slow process as I am not much of a food planner. i am now just starting to eat Protein Bars that are not candy bars in disguise. All in all, I put very little thought into my daily meal planning except to get high protein, low carbs and good fats. I tell my wife what I need her to buy from costco when she goes and we are good to go. I know it is not a perfect diet in terms of balancing in terms of pure food choices, but it is working pretty well for me in terms of going day to day when considering the supplementation I do. It does not feel overwhelming to go through the motions every day to "feed my muscle, burn the fat" (as Tom V would say) using these approaches. I feel like i could eat like this way as a lifestyle and get all the food I need to workout and also normal stuff like hiking and yard work. For example, i wheelbarrowed a truckload of gravel up a hill to where we are building a garden shed this last Sunday. Furthermore, and this is actually an important point, I am ALWAYS open to suggestions from other people on this site. i value feedback from anyone and think of you all as an extended set of friends. I am learning more by interacting with folks here then I would in a nutritional class or by reading it in a book. Go figure. It is just the way that I am absorbing this type of information. Plus it helps that I look up to everyone and value everyone's opinion and experiences.