Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet and diet coke

I start pre-op diet on Monday. I have to have 2 Protein drinks a day and one small meal. Drink lots of Water. I am caffeine addicted specifically diet coke. I'm going to give it up for sure once I get sleeved. I can't quit right now bc with my sleep apnea I need a boost to get through the day. I'm going to try to drink only one a day on my pre-op diet. Not the best but I can't suffer withdrawal symptoms right now. I have to work since I'm already gonna take two weeks off for the surgery.

My question is how did you all handle your own soda addiction? Please don't reprimand me that I should have quit drinking soda a long time ago. I will when I get sleeved bc I will be home and if I go through withdrawal at least I'm not working.

The thing that made me give up soda is the fact I have to loose 20lbs before surgery and my dr is very strict with this. I've lost 7 so far but only a month to loose 13. I love soda it has been harder than the cigs I gave up. But after reading that it slows down the weight loss I just quit and it's been helping. I have headaches and am tired but just looking towards the light I guess.

Hi Susie. I was a diet Dr. Pepper junkie. I tried cutting back but I just kept breaking promises to myself. You may be able to stick to just one soda per day. I found it to be nearly impossible.

I went cold turkey a couple of months ago. I had a hellacious headache for about a week and I was miserable. Once that was over I was great! I have extremely long days and find that I do not need the boost. I drink crystal light all day long and I start my day off with Decaf coffee. I have not cheated at all since I quit caffeine. I think it is important to go through the withdrawals before surgery.

I know how hard it is. Best of luck to you!!

Drop the soda cold turkey... it's the only way to go. To help with the addiction I drank iced tea for a few weeks, that really helped me get rid of the soda addiction and after that it was much easier to drop the caffiene. I still have an iced tea from time to time but don't crave it or soda at all. Good luck, it's a hard addiction to drop, but my advice is to do it now before surgery. If you think it's hard to do it now just wait until you are struggling with your head and boddy after you have the surgery and you want to eat but your body won't let you.

I've been off sodas for years now - ever since I found Crystal Light. I have never gotten tired of the Lemonade flavor. If I want caffine, I either take caffine tablets or I drink Crystal Light Energy - Wild strawberry (it has caffine).

Quit drinking that crap. Switch to coffee or iced tea. No point in prolonging the inevitable.

I was a diet coke junkie - easily 6-12 a day. Dropped it for iced tea. Don't miss it at all

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hey Susie, I loved diet dr pepper... After surgery I just knew I couldn't have it so I didn't ... It was just like that, pre surgery I could give in to my "need" cravings ... After surgery I knew it could be damaging so I just dealt with the "absence"

After surgery you will be saying no to a lot of things for a while... It's just part of having major surgery on your stomache.

I just included that in the whole lot of things.

Try not to worry too much but do be determined to not sabotage yourself after surgery.

Hey Susie' date=' I loved diet dr pepper... After surgery I just knew I couldn't have it so I didn't ... It was just like that, pre surgery I could give in to my "need" cravings ... After surgery I knew it could be damaging so I just dealt with the "absence"

After surgery you will be saying no to a lot of things for a while... It's just part of having major surgery on your stomache.

I just included that in the whole lot of things.

Try not to worry too much but do be determined to not sabotage yourself after surgery.

[/quote']

Thanks I have it in my head that after surgery I will not drink it at all. It's just right now. I'm gonna do my best to not drink it but I also can't afford to be sick or feel like crap. I know I have to sacrifice and I am willing to do it.

Susie - I am a Diet Dr Pepper addict myself - was a Diet Coke addict for many, many years. About 6 months ago I had to give up Diet Soda for 2 weeks because I was having stomach problems. I switched to Snapple Diet Lemon Ice Tea or Arizona Diet Lemon Ice Tea for those 2 weeks because I had to work and could not afford to have headaches. With the Ice Tea I was able to do it and found I wasn't wanting as much Diet Ice Tea as I would have with the Diet Dr Pepper. I know I will have to give up the soda when I get sleeved as well. Try the Diet Ice Tea as a replacement for right now... hope this helps

Susie - I am a Diet Dr Pepper addict myself - was a Diet Coke addict for many' date=' many years. About 6 months ago I had to give up Diet Soda for 2 weeks because I was having stomach problems. I switched to Snapple Diet Lemon Ice Tea or Arizona Diet Lemon Ice Tea for those 2 weeks because I had to work and could not afford to have headaches. With the Ice Tea I was able to do it and found I wasn't wanting as much Diet Ice Tea as I would have with the Diet Dr Pepper. I know I will have to give up the soda when I get sleeved as well. Try the Diet Ice Tea as a replacement for right now... hope this helps[/quote']

Thanks I'm gonna try it. I'm gonna try just Water and if I start feeling like crap I will try the iced tea. I do want to give up Diet Coke. Thanks.

I was on 6 Mt. dews a day. As soon as I decided to get the surgery, I quit cold turkey. It was easy, except for dry mouth.

I quit cold turkey after surgery and took advantage of the wonderful pain meds going through my body to counteract the usual caffeine w/d headache!

What about caffeine free diet coke?

I quit cold turkey, right after the seminar. They said no pop and I knew it was the choice between having the surgery or having the pop and I'm picking the surgery. Went 6 months without a drop, I had a couple over the holidays but I can't chug it because the burn is outrageous now where I used to not really feel it. Even with the option of going back since I'm preop, it really doesn't quench my thirst the way Water does.

I was addicted to coke zero, I would drink over 2 liters (about 68oz) a day!! I drank coke zero right up until I had surgery. Now I'm almost 2 weeks out and I don't really miss it, I don't even feel like drinking it. I don't know what happened as I couldn't go a day without it before (I would become so irritable and easily angry If i didn't have it) but something just clicked and I don't want it anymore. Hope the same thing happens for you!