Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band After Fundoplication????

re: nissen fundoplication.

When I had this done in 1999 I cfould tell it wasn't working so in the years 2000 I had an x-ray done and they said it had slipped down.

re: nissen fundoplication

When I had this done in 1999. I could tell it didn't work because I still had reflux real bad. In 2000 they took an x-ray and said it slid down. The doctor that I am seeing for the lapband said he could repair this when he went in to do the lapband but won't know if it could be done without cutting my stomach open because of scar tissue but I don't know what he means. I'll ask him when I see him again.

Dr. Felts in Dallas is doing mine next month. (972) 331-8100. You must have had your fundo done laproscopicly, you must have private insurance AND..... you have to be having some sort of problem with the fundo....like heartburn. His nurse's name is Karen. She is very helpful and can be reached at the number above. Dr. Felts is going to make the effort to do the surgery laproscopicly and odds are it will be fine, but you know there is always a chance they may have to go in. Good luck to you!

Edited by Mizzcoop
add info

I don't know about his policies for patients with existing Nissens, but Dr. Darin Minkin at Des Peres Hospital in St. Louis is another surgeon who will repair hiatal hernias and/or perform fundoplications during Lap Band surgery. I know a lot of the previous posters were from KC, but since it's so difficult to find surgeons who will do combination or revision surgeries, I figured I'd share my $.02.

I spoke to a doctor about the Lap Band Surgery and he said since I already had the Lap Nisen done, he wouldn't do the Lap Band Surgery.

I am having more problems with my GERDS ever since I had the Lap Nisen.

Why can't you unwrap the Lap Nisen and do the Lap Band Surgery.

He told me my only option would be to have a Gastric By-Pass surgery.

I don't want that. Marcia

There may be specific reasons related to the specifics of the original surgery. But gastric bypass may not be your only option. Talk to someone about a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. VSG is sort of an in-between lap band and GB -- no fills but no intestinal bypass either. A good surgeon is the authority on your potential as a patient for any procedure.

I first had a hiatal hernia repair 5yrs ago due to the fact insurance wouldn't pay for it if I did it in conjunction with a lap band. So, I had the hernia repair then the lap band. After the lap band, my lung collapsed after discharged home. Spent nine days in ICU. No problems for another yr and lost 80 lbs 20 lbs from goal. Began having severe reflux. nothing helped. Dr claims my band didn't slip per xray. Went back to OR for either a lap band revision or nissen/fundoplication. He was to decide based on his expertise. I woke up to find I lost the band but had fundoplication. I was devastated. He said the band severely slipped so he took it off instead of putting it back in place. I did not want to lose the band. The moron left the port in place for unk reasons. Said he couldn't get the band back on and couldnt completely wrap the stomach around like he wanted for the nissen. I have not had any more reflux and have gained all my wgt back! I am so upset with myself. I want the band back. I am trying to find a dr who will do it. If Ihave to undo the nissen I would. I am afraid of Barrets esophagus if I reflux again. I dont want bypass. If anyone knows of surgeon in Texas who will do the lapband with nissen already done please let me know. I am desperate! I loved the band until it slipped. I dont think I needed the nissen to start with just a revision of the slipped band!

I'm sorry to hear you are gaining your weight back. I had some weight off after my fundoplication, but it has all come back on and more. I wish I could find someone who would do the Lap Band around Illinois.