Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you Choose sleeve over RNY?

I'm curious how people chose the sleeve? I am on the fence but I'm leaning toward the sleeve. Could you please share what the cons were for you on choosing the sleeve?

My surgeon said I would not be a candidate for the bypass due to the fact the I have issues with anemia. The bypass would only make it worse.

My doctor refuses to do RNY.

I had a couple. I was 240, so I needed to lose about 100 pounds, I thought I could do that with the sleeve, I thought sleeve was a more simple procedure since it did not involve rerouting. Also, I take meds for a small seizure disorder and the meds I take for that would not have worked with the malabsorbtion of the RNY but caused no issued with the sleeve, so it was pretty easy for me.

I simply did NOT want my digestive tract cut TWICE, which is what a RNY does. I've also seen first hand issues with malabsorbtion of Vitamins and anemia because of bypasses. The sleeve works, is simpler and CAN be changed to a full blown bypass if necessary, while a bypass cannot very easily be converted to a sleeve.

Just the thoght of having part of my intestines removed creeped me out to the point that it wasn't for me. My doc said the sleeve, in his experience, was just as successful as RNY - with fewer surgical and food absorption complications.

Gosh, when I first started looking into WLS, RNY and the band were the only things out there. That was 12 years ago or more, I think. I never was comfortable with the idea of either. I didn't like the intestinal rerouting and I'd seen family members struggle hard with dumping (and regain). Research is also starting to show that the malabsorption stops sometimes after the first couple of years - your body learns to adapt. I saw the sleeve a few years before I had surgery and I was like "Now THAT is it". I just knew it was the one I wanted. My doctor agreed. Obviously, I've done very well with it. But it's still hard work. There's no magic. It's all about you - no matter WHAT procedure you choose. Just be sure you choose the one you're willing to work.

I know 2 people who have been very successful with RNY. Originally that was the procedure that I was interested in. Once I serious and started my research it seemed to me that the sleeve would do all the same things, all be it a little slower than the RNY, without some of the side effects that both my friends went through. The biggest negative about the sleeve was a lack of long term data. It was 5 years vs. 15 for the RNY. That really didn't scare me and it didn't seem as big a deal as the malabsorption, dumping, gall bladder and other issues that the people I knew went through.

However, if for some reason I had been unable to have the sleeve I would have done the RNY. Doing nothing is a lot riskier in my opinion.

I had less to lose so RNY seemed to dramatic for me. As well I was (that's another story) lactose intolerant and dumping supposedly feels similar to how I feel when I have milk and to be frank - I hate that feeling :( . It's horrible and I feel like death and I didn't want to chance that happening. Lastly, I already had several Vitamin issues and didn't want to make them worse. I've also read that's easier to stretch a RNY pouch than it is to stretch the sleeve - I don't know the data on this but I have read it a few places and I do know of two people who've stretched their RNY pouches - one gained back all the weight and the other didn't.

I had decided on RNY, but my surgeon saw that I had been on and off anti-inflammatories for a couple years. She said there was a high risk of ulcers at the point they connect the intestine to stomach if you take certain medications regularly. She suggested the sleeve, which I wasn't familiar with. I had seen it, but I had it stuck in my head that people weren't as successful with the sleeve. My surgeon said her patients had just as much success with weightloss with the sleeve. I did more research on it and was sold. The things I was worried about with RnY rerouting and malabsorption were not issues with the sleeve. I am so glad I got my sleeve over RNY!

I actually had a surgery date for RNY in 2006 that I backed out of. It didnt feel right for me.

Last year my husband and I went to a seminar to consider the lap band and that is when we were introduced to the sleeve. We looked at each other at the same time and said yep this is it!

I had surgery in August. Lost 116 so far and i am as happy as I could be :)

I always kicked myself for not following through in 2006 with the RNY, but it just goes to show that everything happens for a reason and to listen to your instincts!

Good luck with your decision :)

Oh, and I forgot to add:

The only con I had for the sleeve was the whole idea of the leak from the large staple line. That scared me!!

Any other fears I had for any wls were fears i would have had regardless of which surgery i chose.

i only had about 100 lbs to lose. My wife had RNY about 7 years ago and dropped a lot of weight, but didn't follow through and now has put most of it back on. I felt that this was less drastic than RNY and more feasible than the band. i could always go back and have RNY if need be but I don't think that it will be really necessary.

I was all ready to have the RNY as a couple of my friends have had good success with the RNY. When I met with my surgeon, he would not do it because I have had some abdominal surgery which he said could cause the bowel to become stuck. He suggested the sleeve as the RNY could be very risky due to my age. I am 67 and I couldn't be happier. I was sleeved on 12/17. Now I am 5 weeks out and experiencing a stall for the last week. I just have to persevere and I'm sure it will eventually break.

I was more comfortable with the sleeve procedure than Bypass. I did not want anything to be moved around and to deal with a lot of the issues bypass has.

When I met one on one with my surgeon he said there was no reason for me to have the bypass. Typically bypass is recommended for obese patients with other medical conditions. I am very lucky and I am just fat, no other issues. He said the sleeve will help take the weight off for myself the same as bypass.

He also let me know the sleeve will work for 2 years. Anything after that will be my own will power. <--- that is the reason I went with him. 100% honest about it.