Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tossing Around Revision? Lap-Band to Sleeve

Hi guys. New to forums. Had Lap Band in 2009. First visit to surgeon was 346 lbs. 321 on day of surgery. Lowest weight was 176. Had car accident, (broken ribs, etc)... lost restriction. Steady weight gain since. Checked for band slip, checked for dilation. Currently 290+. So... Have heard positive feedback about sleeve. Wondering.... is it worth a shot in the dark to get things back in control. Should also say... cardiac surgery in 08, cardiac surgery due next week.

1) Revision surgery - does insurance still require a pre-surgery supervised diet or do they exclude that by situational circumstances?

2) Would you have done the sleeve again, as a revision, if you had to turn back time?

I had a great experience with the band, while I was rockin' it. However, I feel like the doctor's office stopped supporting me when I started regaining. So now.... what do I do?

1) depends on your policy....I had a total exclusion on any WLS so I had to pay out of pocket for my revision

2) I would have done it again in a heart beat! I'm 7 months post-revision and my life has been great! with the lapband I only lost 40 pounds, then gained it back and then some...with the sleeve I have restriction, I'm doing the right things and it is paying off....love it!

I had a similar experience. I had a botched banding in 02, I had a sleeve to correct it. All I can tell you from my experience I'm 6 months post op and as.long as I stay in the guidelines, I'm more than fine. I feel so much better. Your body metabolism will change, your ability to produce insulin may too. However, it's not any more difficult than being banded, actually I find it easier. I'm very happy I decided to do this, I have that horrible piece of plastic out of me and no more spitting, I feel much more free. But again everyone's experience is different. Good luck, feel free to ask me anything.

thatchick: were you an insurance pay or self pay? did you have to follow a supervised diet prior to revision?

I was self pay, I had my surgery in North Africa. I was required to fast for about a week prior to surgery. My Dr knew I had no health insurance back in the states so he was very through with me, thankfully. I was on an IV only for two weeks after. I ingested nothing. Then Clear Liquids for two weeks then soft foods another two weeks. He gave me two MRIs and about 3 x-rays after just to be certain there were no leaks or issues. I am very happy with the results. It's not easy. Honestly when people ask me about surgery because I had 11 years living with a botched banding I tell them the best way to loose weight is diet and exercise. Surgery may FORCE you to change your eating habits but when you open your body to be re landscaped basically, you also open yourself to possible life long issues. For example, since my initial surgery I now suffer from periodic bouts of pancreatits. It's painful and no Dr can explain why. You will metabolize differently, for life. With the sleeve your more prone to dumping syndrome. Dairy will never be the same for you. I can't look at ice cream now without feeling sick. But again, its your choice. You have to decide what's best for you. I wish you the best.

Hi guys. New to forums. Had Lap Band in 2009. First visit to surgeon was 346 lbs. 321 on day of surgery. Lowest weight was 176. Had car accident' date=' (broken ribs, etc)... lost restriction. Steady weight gain since. Checked for band slip, checked for dilation. Currently 290+. So... Have heard positive feedback about sleeve. Wondering.... is it worth a shot in the dark to get things back in control. Should also say... cardiac surgery in 08, cardiac surgery due next week.

1) Revision surgery - does insurance still require a pre-surgery supervised diet or do they exclude that by situational circumstances?

2) Would you have done the sleeve again, as a revision, if you had to turn back time?

I had a great experience with the band, while I was rockin' it. However, I feel like the doctor's office stopped supporting me when I started regaining. So now.... what do I do?[/quote']

Hi i am having a revision next tuesday

My insurance bc&bs i did not have to do anything

I had a slip band so it is medically needed

Lots of luck

Yes I would still have this surgery. If I could turn back time I would have never had the first surgery. My band slipped within months, about the same time I lost my health insurance. If I could turn back time I would diet and exercise and never open my body up to so much invasiveness. However, I am so happy and thankful that I have had the sleeve. No more pain, vomiting blood, spitting for hours, I can eat whatever I want just a 3/4 cup at a time. Just be sure to follow the instructions, their there for a reason. No liquids and solids together, you will not be having a bagel and coffee, you can your coffee, then 30 minutes later you half a bagel. But its a small price to pay. I am self pay and have no insurance so I don't know what the insurance company requires but since my surgeon knew I was going home to no medical care I was in Morocco for three months. My first mobth having tests, x rays sonograms, ekg, multiple times etc. Then I fasted two weeks. Then surgery, then I was on a IV only for two weeks then more x rays and mri and barium shakes. Then two weeks on Clear Liquids then two weeks of soft foods but I did a month of soft foods just to be safe. I hear stories of people having the sleeve and three days later eating solid food. I couldn't imagine this. But most people have laparoscopy, if yours is a revision your more than likely getting cut, a large incision from under your breasts almost to the belly button. This is a very different recovery time than most. Good luck. If you have any more questions just ask. I hope it works out for you.