Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Walter Reed National Military Medical Center

Any military defendants on here that have had there surgery here? If so, can you share your experience? I am scheduled for late February and would like to hear others experiences.

Hi...I am scheduled for May 16th...I too have been looking for someone who has had their surgery there.

I know the OP already had surgery as long as she had it in Feb like she stated above but for the other poster and anyone else..

I had surgery at Walter Reed in December 2012. I loved my surgeon she was great :)

@skinnymommy, who was your surgeon? I first met with Dr. Rerig and now have surgery scheduled with Dr. Whirlton...

Did you like the care you received in the hospital? How long did you stay? If I have surgery on a thursday, when do you think I will come home?

I am at the beginning of the process and will be going through walter reed so any and all info would be wonderful.

Hello "doodlebug81"! I had begun my process back in October of 2012. I knew I had a hiatal hernia to have repaired. Because my BMI was 35 and I had co-morbilities, I was a great canidate for the Bariatric Program. I went to my first meeting in January 2013. They give you a notebook of paperwork that has to be signed. I put mine in a 3 ring binder with tabs. It helped me keep it organized. My dietician appointments were at Ft. Belvoir. I attend the 1st tuesday of each month at Ft. Belvoir (4:30 pm) which last about an hour. I had my Psychology eval at Walter Reed. Physical appt at Walter Reed. I had an Endoscopy in October which revealed the hernia. I had a sleep study done at a civilian location (if you have mild sleep apnea it is good since it gets you one step closer to being approved). You must use your machine at least a month before they schedule surgery.

The whole process takes about 3 months. Your dietician appointments are each 4 weeks apart. You have to keep a food log and show you are under the required caloric limitations and you must lose 10 pounds. I didn't think I could do it, but I did!

Once you schedule surgery, you have to do a 2 week liquid diet.

Walter Reed has a great staff. The day of surgery, I had to report by 5 am. I packed slippers, an old night gown that won't interfere with IV, undies and silky bottoms. You have to walk the hallways alot after surgery and I didn't like the fact that the hospital gowns are open in the back. I packed an extension cord for my phone so it was close to me always. They have a toothbrush/toothpaste and mouthwash for you. I brought deoderant. One thing you need to bring is some gas-x strips....I didn't believe anyone but the gas pain was horrible. They didn't have any at the pharmacy at the hospital. It really does help. Chapstick for my lips, you won't be able to drink anything day after surgery. They give you swaps of Water but also give you a suction cord to make sure you don't drink anything! This is only up till they do they leak test.

Surgery was about 3 1/2 hours for me since they repaired the hernia. You go to the recovery room and once you are cleared you are taken to a private room on the 4th floor. I had surgery on thursday and left on a sunday. You don't get much rest so don't plan on bringing any ipads, magazines, movies...etc. I did bring ipod with headphones and was listening to sade as I was being wheeled to my private room...I must have been on some good drugs!!

My Dr. was Dr. Worlton. She was great.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me!

Best wishes,

Lisa

I am so excited. I talked to the lady today at Walter Reed and she said that my referral had been approved and I will be going to my first meeting on June 25th. Happy Happy!

Can you tell me what number you called to get in touch with the Bariatric Surgery Clinic at Walter Reed? I've been calling the same number for days and keep getting a full mail box and sent to the quarter deck where the poor boys don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about...

I'm transferring from Naval Medical Center San Diego Bariatric clinic to Walter Reed (due to pcs) and am hoping that all my tests, classes, etc will just transfer over. I actually was scheduled for surgery here but my husband got emergency orders and we have to leave before i can go through with it (totally sucks!).

Here's to hoping I don't have to do this process allow over again!

I don't have the number on me...I left all my paperwork at work. Call the main number and have someone actually transfer you to the clinic. I'm sure you will be able to transfer everything. Mr. Wichart (sp?) is the main person to ask for. He runs the whole clinic, but honestly, he does not return calls. Eva Cruz is another person you can ask for. She does all the scheduling for the surgeons. Once you go through the Bariatric Clinic, you will be transferred to General Surgery Clinic where they will appoint a surgeon to you. Best wishes!!

Okay I am suppose to go Tuesday for group meeting. I am new to the whole process. On my appointment paper it says Dr. Worlton. Has anyone had this Dr. or have any info on this doctor.

Hello Heather, I'm also scheduled for the meeting on June 25. I'm so exited to start this journey!

Do you know how long the meeting will be?

Hi,

I have finally gotten all my paperwork filled out and am suppose to go see Mr. Witcher next Friday. I still have a little weight to lose because of the holidays but I wanted to know more about the surgeons. I have heard lots about how great Dr. Rehrig but not much about the others.