Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be careful using IUD only post VSG!

Omg...thanks for the info..I'm not trying to get prego..this is me time ..I have to take care of me. I'm so surprised being that I'm only 42 pounds lighter and hornier than ever...

Lol im still pre op and horny so post op is going to be unbearable:/

This is freaking me out. I don't want children at all. Was it obvious when your Iud came out?

The doc that inserted mine told me to just get in the habit of doing monthly checks of the strings. So I was already doing a check every few weeks. But what made me realize it had really slipped was my husband, because he noticed the strings more during, eh, "relations". I did a check before my usual time and realized I could feel much more of the strings than before. I made an appointment with my doc but in the week before I got in to see him it fell out completely. I found it in my panties one day when I used the restroom. End of that!

So if you're checking your strings regularly you should be able to feel a change in the length of them and at least reassure yourself that it's still there.

~Cheri

It's probably best to be careful regardless, but as best as I can tell, these pregnancies happened with the copper IUD (no hormones) not the Mirena (uses hormones). Does anyone know if any post-VSG pregnancies have happened with Mirena?

My post VSG pregnancy was while I was using Mirena (kind of). I got pregnant the first time I has sex after VSG (1 month after surgery). I miscarried at 10 1/2 weeks. I was sad but honestly I was relieved too. I was scared to be pregnant so soon after surgery and since my hubby and I didn't ever plan on having more children. After I miscarried the doc ordered an xray since none of my ultrasounds had showed my Mirena in my uterus. The xray showed NO Mirena anywhere to be found. I guess it came out without me knowing. I really thought I would have known. I am not trusting IUDs anymore. I have gotten pregnant and had a very dangerous miscarriage on Paraguard and now the Mirena fell out. I don't blame the weight loss for it falling out because I had only lost 20 lbs my first month. So I don't know what happened exactly. I have an appt to get Essure (permanent tube blocks) put in on Feb 5th and just to be sure I think my hubby will get snipped too ;)

well now I'm nervous! I have Minerva but have been losing weight like crazy so that isn't an issue, but the pregnancy... oh no!

well now I'm nervous! I have Minerva but have been losing weight like crazy so that isn't an issue' date=' but the pregnancy... oh no![/quote']

Maybe just check your strings often to make sure its still there and in place. :)

I cant ever feel my strings. So condoms it is! I will wait till I loose more weight to go in to have it checked but thank u for the look out.

I cant ever feel my strings. So condoms it is! I will wait till I loose more weight to go in to have it checked but thank u for the look out.

I never could feel my strings to check either. You are wise on the condom decision. Nothing stops weight loss like a pregnancy ha ha

So not to be the dissenter here, but since the IUD sits in your Cervix and shape changes to the cervix are prompted by menopause, pregnancy etc..losing a large amount of weight should have no effect on whether the IUD "fits" your cervix..they are all the same size, only the string length differs.

I think what you are seeing is an increase in fertility to the point that Birth Control efforts need to be increased. All those fat cells have a ton of estrogen in them so the hormones in the Mirena or the copper in the Paraguard may not be able to keep up.

I just wanted to post because I don't think the link is IUDs as a rule and don't want people to run off in a panic getting theirs removed.

So not to be the dissenter here' date=' but since the IUD sits in your Cervix and shape changes to the cervix are prompted by menopause, pregnancy etc..losing a large amount of weight should have no effect on whether the IUD "fits" your cervix..they are all the same size, only the string length differs.

I think what you are seeing is an increase in fertility to the point that Birth Control efforts need to be increased. All those fat cells have a ton of estrogen in them so the hormones in the Mirena or the copper in the Paraguard may not be able to keep up.

I just wanted to post because I don't think the link is IUDs as a rule and don't want people to run off in a panic getting theirs removed.[/quote']

IUDs sit near the top of the uterus with the arms of the T right by the fallopian tubes not in the cervix. Only the threads are supposed to go thru the cervix and into the vaginal canal.

I do agree it is more about the increased fertility than the IUD. Mine fell out without me knowing so I don't know if it was before or after I had surgery and lost weight. IUDs are a very good choice for most women but I do think us sleevers should be extra careful. Since IUDs tend to be a low maintainance form of birth control, many don't check them religiously so I think this thread was just saying to stay on top of checking it and consider also using a backup form of birth control while they're losing and extra fertile.

post-33699-13813662818813_thumb.png

post-33699-13813662819004_thumb.png