Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Perfect food to feel full for a long time

Hi everyone, I was banded at the end of september and afterwards had no natural restriction at all! I got my first fill and am still feeling barely any resriction. I go back on 11/07 for another fill and hopefully that one will work. In the meantime I am eating the healthiest I can via willpower and exercising. Here is my dilemma/question. I have an event in mid december and I am really wanting to lose as much weight as possible (but still stay healty) by then. I am already exercising daily, but once I feel restricted I want to find a food that will make me feel full for a very very long time so that I am not eating too much-I want it to be something high protein/low carb. I was thinking canned tuna or salmon, but is this too mushy to have long term satiety occur? I will drink a low card low calorie Protein Drink in the am and then have my 12 glasses of Water and liquid vitamins, so I am mainly looking for that "perfect food" for lunch and dinner. This is just a kickstart, after this dreaded event I plan to eat a much more varied diet, I am just trying to lose about 20-30 pounds by mid december. Any help would be soooo appreciated-I am really anxious over this.

A Wasa Cracker with lunch meat and a slice of cheese on it holds me over for a long time. (I call it my "Jack Special", because it was his idea.)

Seafood also works well for me, and I have come up with several receipes that work and hold me over. (look at fishy Soup on the food thread)

tuna and Salmon should be fine. Remember you are suppose to chew everything to that consistancey before you swallow anyway.

Good luck!

Okay, my diet is weird but one of my favorite meals is

packet of flavored tuna

black Beans

shredded carrot

small pieces of spinach

dressing of choice - ranch, thousand island, italian, etc

Smoked salmon is my wonder food of choice right now. You can have it straight, or with a cracker or a thin piece of toast with non-fat cream cheese and capers. But I also cook with it in all sorts of egg dishes and omelettes, with grilled veggies or salads in a wrap. As long as you don't have sodium issues - its got all the right stuff. 2oz is about as much as I can manage at one time.

Allison

Amount Per 1 oz, boneless Calories 33.17

Calories from Fat 11.02 % Daily Value * Total Fat 1.22g 2% Saturated Fat 0.263g 1% Polyunsaturated Fat 0.282g Monounsaturated Fat 0.574g Cholesterol 6.52mg 2% Sodium 222.26mg 9% Potassium 49.61mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 0g 0% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Protein 5.18g 10% Alcohol 0g Vitamin A0 % Vitamin C0 %Calcium0 % Iron1 %Vitamin D0 % Vitamin E1 %Thiamin0 % Riboflavin1 %Niacin7 % Folate0 %Vitamin B-64 % Vitamin B-1215 %Phosphorus5 % Magnesium1 %Zinc1 % Copper3 %*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Hi Celeste,

I just cut up the salmon into small strips and mix it into any egg recipes. I add about 1/2 ounce per egg used.

I add a couple of slices of smoked salmon to veggies I have previously broiled, (I like to char them a little) with a little olive oil salt pepper and any other favorite seasoning, (Mrs Dash, garlic salt, rosemary sprigs etc) put in a tortilla and nuke in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This is a great quick and easy meal.

It has a lot of flavor when cooked and can liven up left over rice, or pilaf or even Beans.

If all else fails I will just roll up a slice and enjoy it straight from the pack....

Allison

Sashimi....fish and beef, works great for me. I eat the Protein first then if I can handle a bit more I try to get in some high density/low cal veggies.....like sauteed garlic broccoli...YUM. This will tide me over for a few hours. I also carry with me a small "emergency" pack. In it I have a few "Mary's Gourmet crackers", or "Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps". They have approximately 8 cals / cracker but loads of the good stuff like flax seed, quinoa, wholegrain brown rice, etc. They are tasty and filling. I also keep some single packets of string cheese, this is very filling also. And...I have some single packets of low-fat dressing....every function has salad or a veg platter....you can make a meal out of veg platter items with your own dressing,......just remember to chew well.

Carol

This is just a kickstart, after this dreaded event I plan to eat a much more varied diet, I am just trying to lose about 20-30 pounds by mid december. Any help would be soooo appreciated-I am really anxious over this.

I am sorry to hear that the fills haven't kicked in for you just yet, but you are sounding pretty positive and taking control.

I hate to be the devils advocate on this, but you are putting youself into an unhealthy predicament!

I know I sound negative but I suspect that trying to lose weight that way is setting yourself up for your body going into starvation mode.

Although there is that lose a 100lbs in a 100 days diet, that you could try. I'm not sure what it's called so maybe the way you want to do it will work. I'#m no dietician lol I just hope it all works out for you and you gain the confidence to enjoy 'the big event'.

Kidn regards

Sx

My favorite filler up food is turkey chili. Its the most filling thing Ive had since being banded. I make it at home and 1 cup of it keeps me full for hours! It must be the kidney Beans also the turkey.

:hungry: Roxy, may I have the recipe for your turkey chili please? It sounds really good! I can eat that during my mushie stage, right? I go in for my first fill on Nov. 23rd, at which time I can begin my mushie stage.

Thanks.

Kat.

min_turkey_chili_e.jpgspacer.gifspacer.gif 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

5 cloves garlic, chopped

1 tablespoon Kosher salt

2 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon Tomato paste

1 chipotle chile en adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tablespoon sauce

1 pound ground turkey

1 (12-ounce) Mexican lager-style beer

1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice

1 (15 1/2-ounce) can kidney Beans, rinsed and drained

Sliced scallions, cilantro sprigs, avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, and/or tortilla chips, for garnish, optional

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and the chipotle chile and sauce; cook 1 minute more. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw color, about 3 minutes. Add the beer and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes—crushing them through your fingers into the skillet—along with their juices and the beans; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes. Ladle the chili into bowls and serve with the garnishes of your choice. Cook's Note: A skillet's larger surface area reduces sauces faster than simmering in a saucepan

Katgirl, I had this alot during my mushie stage but without all of the suggested garnishes. I was just so happy to have something filling and tasty at the same time! I love, love this recipe. I hope you do too! Good luck to you!