Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I understand that Protein is the main focus as to what our diets are made up of and why. But why do a lot of you have restrictions on the amount of carbs you eat per day? I understand it goes with more rapid weight loss. We are all pretty experienced dieters when it gets to WLS stage .... I personally have done every low-carb diet known to man with great initial results!! Atkins .... Dukan ..... so how is this any diff? Once your sleeves become more accommodating and a more normal diet is consumed 1 year out does it not mean weight regain later on? Wouldn't it just be better to eat everything in moderation from day 1? Just wondering :)

I don't count carbs but I think my carbs are under 100g a day. I haven't found low carb to help with my weight loss and I honestly feel like I stalled more when I was holding back on carbs, plus my workouts turned to crap from lack of energy. I experience several negative side effects from a low carb diet like insomnia, grouchy, depression, anxiety, paranoia, fatigue, etc. I've always had these side effects from very low carb and I've read that it screws with your serotonin but it doesn't affect everyone like it does me. The only thing I focus on is getting in my Protein and my carbs naturally stay under 100g if I get in all my protein. I just want to eat as normal as possible, like a normal healthy weight person :)

I'm 6 months out. My diet is to be approximately 1000 calories a day, 80 grams of Protein a day and about 60 grams of carbs. That's a lot of carbs to me but they come from the RIGHT carbs. For me that means nothing white (Pasta, rice potatoes, etc). I get my carbs from dairy produts, low starch vegetables and whole grain Pasta, bread, etc.

You know all the reasons why early on... no room for anything but Protein, low carb speeds weight loss, some carbs trigger cravings, etc. As you add carbs, focus on adding in the right carbs.

I agree with ROM. Slightly more carbs and you will crave them so much, it will be the same back to hell story before op. Pl take minimum carbs, good carbs, complex carbs. Otherwise, their cravings will overwhelm you and your weight loss.

Simple carbs are addictive so avoid them like a recovering alcoholic avoids booze.

Simple carbs trigger a rush of insulin, which drops your blood sugar, your body responds by wanting more carbs to fight the drop in blood sugar. It's a vicious cycle so just stay away.

You can have complex carbs as they are slower absorbed and don't cause the massive release of insulin. Focus on these.

Simple carbs are addictive so avoid them like a recovering alcoholic avoids booze.

Simple carbs trigger a rush of insulin, which drops your blood sugar, your body responds by wanting more carbs to fight the drop in blood sugar. It's a vicious cycle so just stay away.

You can have complex carbs as they are slower absorbed and don't cause the massive release of insulin. Focus on these.

Which are the best Complex Carbs available for vegetarians ?

Makes a lot of sense - cheers Robyn!!

Anything green is good. Legumes are also good plus they contain Protein.

But legumes contain a lot of carbohydrates too.

But legumes contain a lot of carbohydrates too.

Yes, but you asked about complex carbs didn't you? I personally do not limit myself on complex carbs. They are so good for you and the glycemic index is so low that they do not cause the concerns that bread, potatoes and sweets do. Plus, they are usually so dense and fibrous that it is very hard to over eat on them, especially with the sleeve. A cup of asparagus is 40 calories. A cup of mashed potatoes is 360. See what I mean?