Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm suffering from Constipation. In 4 weeks out and haven't went in 5 days. Any suggestions? Is this normal?

MOM milk of magnesia.

It will work fast and you'll get relief.

or Smooth Move tea, take it at night and the next day you will go. Those are short term solutions, though, and you need something longer term. First, make sure you are taking in enough fluids. Second, use a Fiber additive, such as Benefiber, to fluids.

I am four months out and still suffer from this! The one supplement I added which you can take long term that helps is Natural Calm Magnesium Supplement by Natural Vitality. It dissolves clear in hot Water and I usually have three teaspoons every night. It has been a life saver for me. I am usually recommending Smooth Move tea as well but since surgery it gives me really painful abdominal cramps. So far I have not experienced any side effects from the magnesium. Good luck! It sucks being backed up!!!!

Do a search for chia seeds. I started using using them last week and have not had a problem since. There have been a few posts about them.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Perfectly normal at this stage. The post op diet does not have very much fiber in it. It seems like it takes a few weeks to catch up to us and then...."traffic jam." Miralax gave me some temporary relief, but the thing that has helped me the most has been chia seeds. I let them soak in my Protein Shake for at least 30 minutes, letting them get soft and gel. Then drink it down. The seeds make the shake thicker, therefore more filling. Besides helping with Constipation, they also help regulate blood sugar and supply antioxidants, and even Protein. You can't go wrong with chia.

I do not. I think that was Fiddleman. I've seen them for sale already ground. I think those are more for cooking with if I'm not mistaken. There are many dishes where they use them mixed with cornmeal.

I take a stool softener every day with my Vitamins and that seems to keep things running ok. It's still about every 3 days but that's my new regular I guess.

colace or Walmart brand of it. and miralax. If I take colace everyday I dont have a problem. The pill is small enough you can use it.

So glad to hear i am not alone. Im am also 4 weeks out.. I had trouble in the begining that resolved on its own. Now i am experiencing it again. I am ambarrased to admit it but today is day 12 for me without a bowel movement. I took 2 doses of mirilax so far. Whats more concerning is that i dont even feel that i have to go. I dont have a stomach ache or feel bloated or anything...any further advice..

Don't be embarrassed, but you need to do something about this quickly. Use one of the short-term solutions suggested above. If you don't go by Monday, call your surgeon's office for suggestions.

I do not. I think that was Fiddleman. I've seen them for sale already ground. I think those are more for cooking with if I'm not mistaken. There are many dishes where they use them mixed with cornmeal.

I buy them pre ground now and they gel fairly quickly when compared to whole seeds. Tried to grind them myself, but was not getting anywhere because their size is so small. Either form of chia helps with regularity very well in addition with helping the body preserve Water on long runs (greater than 30 min in length). Good luck.

Thanks for all the help. The Mom worked, feel much better and I'm going to look for the Chia seeds. I bought some crackers at costco yesterday, got home and read the ingredients and they were in the crackers.

I am 6 days post op and just curious.... when are you supposed to become "regular" with BMs?