Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do the numbers DROP so fast?

Good Morning All…

I have read a few posts here, as well as other sites, as well as the 'guest speaker' from my future surgeon say something such as "As soon as I left the hospital, my diabetes were gone, and my blood pressure was at a normal range".

HOW in the world can someone make this claim? Is it possible?

This whole Oprah issue is all over the New York radio stations this a.m. on the commute. How the DJ's are 'bashing' the 'nutshell size' stomachs that are created with the Bariatric surgeries. I hate hearing this, especially since it's taken me some time to get up the guts to do this!!!

:girl_hug:

sherilynn, have you been banded yet? I am still waiting for a surgery date, and yes I keep hearing negative comments, but I will not give up. You need to keep your head up and look at the bright side. A new start on life. marcy

Hi Marcy,

Nope not banded yet. My surgeon visit is 11/16 and we'll work a date from then.

Just when I am SO convinced that I can do this, the Band is the perfect tool for me - SOMETHING is said to knock my confidence in this.

Now that I'm facing diabetes - I really can't imagine how I can even think NOT to get banded.

It's a long journey of that I'm sure. But I'm still young and want to live a long HEALTHY life!

Its rediculousness. Im so glad I have my band and im losing! No regrets here and no other addictions have popped up, other than lap band talk! LOL.

I don't believe it. How would the person even know?

There is often rapid weight loss in the beginning, which can contribute to loss substantial enough to eliminate the need for maintenance medications. But in the beginning, for maybe 3 - 6 weeks, dependong in the person, you can expect 40% - 60% of the weight loss to be Water weight. I've never heard of anyone getting off of insulin because they were dehydrated. :girl_hug:

Don't let one ignorant claim distill your confidence in your decision, or in the band.

I have spoken to many people who have had WLS and they have told me that their numbers have , indeed, dropped. One reason is probably that the diet is dramatically changed and the reduction in salty/greasy foods lowers the blood pressure, and the reduction in starchy carbohydrates and sugars reduces the blood sugar levels. We are what we eat.:faint:

Clarification - absolutely weight loss can impact your "stats".

I was referring to: "As soon as I left the hospital, my diabetes were gone, and my blood pressure was at a normal range".

I call a big old BS on that one. :cool:

The nurse in my recovery room took my BP, and said, "Wow, look, your BP has really dropped already!" OK, I'm no nurse, but I had to figure that the drop was because I was lying down and well-medicated, not because I had weight loss surgery!

Tami

The moment Fluid drops out of your body, your blood pressure drops also. That's why people on low-carb diets often have lower blood pressure as carbs hold Water in your body. This change in blood pressure can come indeed within days.

The last day I had to take b.p. medication was the day I left the hospital after my lap band surgery. The Dr.'s think thats because of the diet and oddly rapid weight loss. If you have taken the time and done your homework and you think this is for you, don't be swayed by others. This is your body and nobody knows it like you do.

Good Luck!

sherilynn, refuse to listen to those who are trying to talk you out of the band. I have not been banded yet and I have friends saying no don't do it. I figure these are my friends who themselves need to lose weight and I think a little jeoulousy my be present. I will hold on to my new banded friends I have found on this site. I want to have a thinner future for myself so I will not back out. My health is at stake. Keep your chin up. Marcy:straight

Yep...tune out the naysayers and change the radio station when you start hearing that negative stuff. You sometimes have to do the same thing here, too. The week before I was banded I was very judicious about which posts I read, as I didn't want the horror stories to scare me away. Talk to your surgeon and get comfortable with his or her stats, as those are the numbers that will be most important to you -- not worst case scenario horror stories. Also, follow your diet directions to a 'T' the first months after surgery to give yourself a chance to heal and to get off to a good start.

Quite small weight losses can make BIG differences to your health too. Just by losing 10% of your body weight, you can make a huge difference to obesity related conditions, for some of us that's as little as 20lb.