Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to Panic

Hi all, I have a few days off from college and its giving me time to think. Thinking for me=worrying.:paranoid Here's the deal- I am doing self pay for surgery. I am financing the exact amount and paying it back at $500/month for 2 years. I hope to pay it off a little sooner with our tax returns. $500/month is a lot for our family, basically everything we have above our monthly needs. The amount I pay covers everything, including fills and any complications for the first year. Right now my husband and I have no health insurance as its simply too costly through his work and of course, due to my health problems I can't get approved through individual means. I need to lose weight as my health is declining fast- but basically I need everything to go as planned as I can't afford anything extra, especially after this first year. I know there is a risk of problems but with the health problems I'm already having, I am guaranteed to have problems if I remain at this weight......I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.....Any thoughts?

you MUST be the one who decides if this is right for you...with that being said, this is the best thing i have ever done for myself. if i had to finance it, i would have done so happily. sure, it is a sacrifice. i mean, it IS a LOT of money, but think of it like this...if it buys you 10 more years of life, isn't it worth it?

do what is best for you. and remember, we are all here to share your ups/downs/uncertainties!!

good luck

This is simply my opinion, and while it is not necessarily a good plan, it may ease your mind of some of your financial worries. If right now you were able to get financed for the $500.00 a month repayment, then go for it. If there comes a time down the road, where that needs to be changed, you can likely refinance the remaining balance, whether it involves changing credit cards, or a refi through the bank. The longer you pay on it as it is originally set up, the easier the refi would be. If you see no future of insurance, or any immediate changes in your financial future, then it seems to me the price of the surgery and the interest rates available are only going up. You may be able to pay a larger lump sum on your loan at say income tax return time, and get the payment reduced quicker. Even adding an additional $10.00-$20.00 a month to the payment would make it go down much faster. I remember years ago we financed a car, and our payments were like $204.38 or some such number, and I automatically made payments of $210.. or $220.00 each month, and it paid it off 3 or 4 months ahead of schedule. So any extra you can add will help you.

Keep in mind if you have to travel far for your fills etc. to factor that in.

I hope you find a way to make things happen for yourself----will keep all good thoughts coming your way!!!

Kat

Only you can know for sure if you are doing the right thing of course.

But I think you are. You are making an investment in your health. That will pay off for you and your family in so many ways.

Also, I find I'm spending so much less on food, I notice it in our monthly cash flow(or non-flow!).

Hi all, I have a few days off from college and its giving me time to think. Thinking for me=worrying.:paranoid Here's the deal- I am doing self pay for surgery. I am financing the exact amount and paying it back at $500/month for 2 years. I hope to pay it off a little sooner with our tax returns. $500/month is a lot for our family, basically everything we have above our monthly needs. The amount I pay covers everything, including fills and any complications for the first year. Right now my husband and I have no health insurance as its simply too costly through his work and of course, due to my health problems I can't get approved through individual means. I need to lose weight as my health is declining fast- but basically I need everything to go as planned as I can't afford anything extra, especially after this first year. I know there is a risk of problems but with the health problems I'm already having, I am guaranteed to have problems if I remain at this weight......I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.....Any thoughts?

I was also self pay, and what I did was figure in how much less our grocery bill will be (1/3 less), how many less closet drive-thru excursions, and how much of my medical issues were directly related to my weight, it all came out in the wash.

Think of all the future medications and doctors visits you will have to pay for if you continue to be obese, that is how I am looking at it at least.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I guess I didn't factor in the ways we'd be saving money.....I also realized that after I lose weight I will be able to buy individual insurance which will also save us money. I guess I was just worried about going into this knowing I don't have many "just in case" money reserves....least since I'm a student we're not losing any pay during this whole thing since we live off hubby's job alone right now.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

You are absolutely doing the right thing!!!! Where is your surgery? How much? Mexico is a great place to go if you don't have insurance... Dr Aceves is Great and it is around $8500!

AngelaT,

I am getting it done about an 1 1/2 hr drive from home. I considered Mexico but the travel expenses, child care while gone and/or time off work for hubby to help out everytime I went for a fill would be too much. There is only one dr. locally who would do a fill for people banded out of state and his prices are ridiculous. So financially this is the best deal for me...especially given all that's included the first year. Thanks for the thought though! I appreciate it!