Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have just registered on this site and had my surgery last Sunday.

I am still feeling tired and sore!

Has anyone experienced a lot of discomfort where the port is? Also I feel a kind of "popping" sensation when I bend forward or stretch as if it is moving...is that normal? I can liken it to during pregnancy when a limb is pushed up under the ribcage...hope that makes sense.

I had my surgery done in Dubai by a visiting Belgian surgeon Dr Christiaan De Bruynes

My BMI is 43 and I weigh 127kg.

Hi Yana,

Welcome, and congratulations on your banding! All the symptoms you describe are normal, and you'll probably feel a lot more new sensations before everything settles down. Your abdomen has been through a lot and has a lot of healing to do. As a rule, everything is normal unless you're in a lot of pain, and you should be feeling a bit better every day.

Take it easy and follow your doctor's instructions with regard to food and rest. You'll be all better in no time.

Nice to meet you! :(:D

Welcome yana!

relax and get your rest! sip sip sip! you'll be better in no time!!

you could always call your dr and tell them what your experiencing but i'm sure its probably normal. unless there is PAIN...

((hugs))

michelle

Welcome Yana!

I know what you mean... I was banded Wednesday and am trying to get used to all of the new sensations in my belly! I am moving around like an old geezer (no offense Sue) as I am afraid to dislodge anything...lol. I think it will just take time to grow comfortable with the fact that there is something new in our body and hopefully soon it will seem like a natural thing that has always been there!

Darcy

Thank you for your replies..they are very reassuring. I spoke to the dietitian about the "popping" feeling at my appointment with her and she said no-one had complained of that before so I am relieved to know it is not indicative of something wrong!

I had been calling the Dr nearly every day since surgery about one thing or another and decided I'd better stop before I became the patient from hell!

I am having my stitches out Sunday so can wait till then.

Also when I was reading through others' experiences many of you said you'd had x-rays after surgery to check everything was in place but I didn't have anything like that.

I feel full but want food at the same time..if that makes sense..I was O.K. until yesterday but then started yearning for solid food.< /p>

I hope I have the patience to stick with it and adhere to the rules etc. It isn't easy is it?

I have had several operations before,the most recent in February for prolapsed bowel and bladder but feel I heal quicker usually and have less discomfort,but as you say now I have something implanted in my abdomen which I haven't had before!

Yana, you may not have had an x-ray after surgery but I assume they did a swallow test? Every doctor's procedure is different and I'm sure your doctor satisfied him- or herself that your band was placed OK. Not to worry! :(

Welcome Yana, rest rest rest, sip sip sip!!!

I had no xray nor a swallow test. Unless you mean eating ice chips and drinking Water after surgery. LOL!! On July 6th I will be 3 months post op and I am still have twinges and pops and squeeks from my port. It lets me know every now and then that a certain movement it doesn't like. LOL!! I am trying to baby it but darn it I wanna move sometimes.

I am going to see a Dr. Billy in Ventura next Friday to get checked out and a second opinion on my protrusion thingy.

Thanks Alex. I am sure they did satisfy themselves it's in place.It is difficult when the surgeon is only visiting.He will come back in 3 weeks time. Meanwhile there is the American qualified team here but it isn't the same as having your surgeon oln hand. However they've had no problems to date with surgeries of this sort.

I just ate some mashed potato and some yoghourt and feel a bit better...first solid food and only a little indigestion,no vomiting so feel more positive!

Penni,thanks,yours sounds just like what I am feeling..what is your protrusion you are going to have checked out? Is it also the port or something else?Hope you don't mind me asking.

I do wonder if it's in the wrong place as so many people say they don't feel anything...

Yana: I have had this protrusion thingy since about three weeks post op. I have had my surgeon look at it and he says it is the port from where I have lost almost 40 lbs. It will disappear when I lose more weight in the abdominal area over time. But I am afraid that it will eventually poke it's head through one of these days and rear it's ugly head. It is so close to the surface. It sometimes hurts as well in that area. I have to be careful and not move a certain way or it hurts more. If I set up straight and suck in my gut then it doesn't hurt as bad. When I lie down at night it goes away. Sorta like it burrows down and covers up it's head. LOL!! Anyway, I was told it was the port but I think it is the tubing that is connected to the port and I think it has herniated or maybe wasn't positioned good to begin with or has come lose and is poking up. It hasn't broken through yet so it is still under the skin but I fear one morning when I get out of bed it will pop through and look up to say HI HERE I AM!! LOL!!

Here is a picture of the protrusion thingy

post-204009-13813131252526_thumb.jpg

Penni I dont blame you for being scared it may open and show its ugly head. Delarlas did the exact same thing and then did pop open and she had tubing protruding from her incision. Are you sure that is normal? Just curious? since you and Delarla had the same surgeon. Have you gone to Dr. Billy yet to ask him if it is normal? Be careful, that makes me nervous for you!

Michelle: I have an appt with Dr. Billy on the 9th of this month. I am going to get a second opinion and to set up me as his patient. As soon as that is done I will probably not go back to Lopez if I have a good rapport with Billy. I will certainly keep everyone posted.

I don't know if it is normal but it certainly doesn't feel normal. First the redness now the protrusion. LOL!!

CALGON TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!!!!

I think my protrusion and delarla's protrusion got together and conversed. They picked her and I to torture.

Penni,thank you for sharing that. It is definitely not right is it and I think you are very patient in waiting to see the Dr about it. As you're losing weight though and feling well it can't be anything too bad can it. You being a nurse must mean you can reassure yourself somewhat too as you know more than the average lay person...

My surgeon has done over 1000 band ops now so I have every faith in his competence but it just doesn't feel right. I will see the Dr tomorrow for stitches out and ask him to examine it and tell me his opinion but my surgeon isn't back here until 20th July.

Today,my 7th,I'm afraid I skipped the pureed stage and had solid food which I chewed until it was "pureed"! I haven't been sick so I'm hopeful as I really wanted solid food after a week of liquids.< /p>

No patience!

Hi Yani,

Welcome! My surgeon requires 2 weeks of thin liquids and 1 of purees, then a week of soft foods. He was upset when I had cream Soup a few days early. It really is worth it to protect your fragile band until it heals well. I won't start solids until Thursday, which is 5 weeks out, although I am working up to it gradually with soft foods.

Be careful progressing and happy healing!