Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

filled to the MAX!!

I got my forth fill last week, which took me to 4cc's. That's right, I'm maxed out and I still have NO restriction!! Apparently the band comes in different diameter sizes. Mine is the medium sized. The nurse practitioner that did my fill said that my doc will probably want to replace my band with the smaller one. I DO NOT want to have surgery again, nor do I have the money to pay for it. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm the only one. I've never heard of this. Please help!

I don't have anything great to say but I am sorry!!! That is horrible. I too am scared of getting to 4cc's and not losing all my weight. UGH...Good Luck on your journey.

That's terrible. I'm so sorry. I have the VG band, so at 5cc, I still have more room. I just had to have a .5cc unfill because I was too tight. I hope something happens for you.

have you been checked for a leak? Just a thought. never heard of someone being filled ot the max and having NO rerstriction. Something is not right! I would be asking for answers and some tests to be done to make sure all of the 4cc's is in there. I have heard of others having a slow leak or a kink in their tubing. Worth having it checked out.

We are talking about Inamed bands, aren't we? The smallest band is the 4 cc capacity band. I don't know anything about the middle one (didn't know there was a middle size), but the large VG band holds 12 cc's.

If you are, indeed, filled to the max and have no restriction, something is wrong. I would insist on having a fluoro study done.

I think the nurse is mistaken. Either the middle size band holds more than 4 cc's, or you have the large band. My DH has 8 cc's in the VG band and is soon to get another fill. The large band holds 12 cc's.

I have never heard of anyone having their band removed just to replace it with one of another size. And I fail to see how that would help you lose weight.

I got my forth fill last week, which took me to 4cc's. That's right, I'm maxed out and I still have NO restriction!! Apparently the band comes in different diameter sizes. Mine is the medium sized. The nurse practitioner that did my fill said that my doc will probably want to replace my band with the smaller one. I DO NOT want to have surgery again, nor do I have the money to pay for it. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I'm the only one. I've never heard of this. Please help!

I just checked the Inamed web site and both the small and middle size bands hold 4 cc's of saline. The diameter of the two is almost the same, too - one is 9.75 cc and the other is 10 cc. I don't see how it could possibly help to replace your band with one that holds the same amount of fill and is only .25 cc smaller in diameter.

I still think you need to have your band checked under fluoro. And definitely get a second opinion before you consent to a second surgery.

I've got a VG and according to:

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/products/obesity/us/clinician/lapband/prodinfo.html

It holds 10cc, i've got 9.5 and went for a flouro today. I was informed you can get well over 14cc in that band.

Evidently there are FOUR bands. I cut and pasted this from the Inamed site - the product data sheet.

Overfilling the band may damage the band.

CAUTION: Maximum fill volume of the

Vanguard band is 10cc.

CAUTION: The maximum fill volume of

the 11 cm band is 9 cc.

CAUTION: The maximum fill volume of

the 9.75 and 10 cm band is 4 cc.

I think you are misinformed. What kind of band do you have? If you have the Swedish like mine, the max is about 7.5 cc. I have 4.5 cc and it's working very well except for that unfortunate episode this evening. Check to see what size band you have and go from there. If you have the other type of band, you can only have a few ccs in it. I like the big old Swedish one. My friend got hers filled to 7.5 ccs and had a whole lot of trouble. She had to get it unfilled and is starting again. I recommend slow filling. It's a lot less trouble and will eventually work. I had to have mine filled 4 times before it started working. Now I have lost 36 pounds and it works very well, most of the time. But I asked about how to know when to fill the band and the doc told me when I'm always hungry or when I quit losing weight. I don't recommend having surgery to replace the band. Let us know what type you have.

I have the Inamed 10 cm, 4cc band. The diameter of the band makes a difference in the level of restriction. My doc said he didn't like the way the smaller (in diameter, not volume) band fit me during surgery so he decided to go with the 10 cm. I understand that both the 9.75 cm and the 10 cm band hold 4 cc's but the 9.75 cm band will obviously fit tighter than the 10 cm band. so my question is...if you were filled all the way and you weren't losing weight and you had NEVER felt good restriction in the 8 months since your surgery, would you have another surgery to have the band replaced? BTW...All my fills are done under flouro and the amount of Fluid is always checked to make sure there is no leak.

I had my first 1cc fill on Wednesday. My surgeon told me I had the medium band as well. 10cm which holds 4cc's.

Before my surgery, my surgeon explained the positives and negatives of the band. He told me that a very very small percentage of people who have had the band placed, never feel restriction. There's no answer to the reason for this. I asked him if I would feel restriction after the 1cc fill that I got yesterday. He honestly said he didn't know b/c everyone is very different. He explained: The band is different for everyone. That also goes for the types of food people could eat. Some bandsters can eat foods that others can't. Some bandsters feel restriction immediatey after surgery and continue to feel that way until they hit goal. etc. etc.

All bandsters have different experiences with the band.

I'm sorry that this has happend to you. I would however, look into this before you think about another surgery. Maybe you should think about getting a second opinion by another surgeon.

Good luck.

I have the Inamed 10 cm, 4cc band. The diameter of the band makes a difference in the level of restriction. My doc said he didn't like the way the smaller (in diameter, not volume) band fit me during surgery so he decided to go with the 10 cm. I understand that both the 9.75 cm and the 10 cm band hold 4 cc's but the 9.75 cm band will obviously fit tighter than the 10 cm band. so my question is...if you were filled all the way and you weren't losing weight and you had NEVER felt good restriction in the 8 months since your surgery, would you have another surgery to have the band replaced? BTW...All my fills are done under flouro and the amount of Fluid is always checked to make sure there is no leak.

Before I spent the money to have a second band placed, I would get a second opinion. There just has to be a logical explanation for this. Have you had a swallow test under fluoro?

What Carlene said. All of it.

Fluoro? Did he put 4.0 in and take it back out and it all came out? If not, there may be a leak. If it DID all come out...well, I'd have to have some evidence that the band was in place and intact.