Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24Hr Bike Rides

You wouldn't know it from looking at me but I really enjoy long bicycle tours. I'm talking rides that last over 2 days and run up to 250+ miles or more. Caloric intake and hydrating is sooooo crucial to completing these rides. On an average summer day i might need up to a quart of Water and 600-800 calories to Keep me going. Have any post surgery folks had any experience with events that run 6 hours and more? Thanks in advance for weighing in!!

I've done several MS150's, but none since having surgery. Looking forward to doing some next year. I don't foresee any problems though. I think you would have to be ultra vigilant about refueling, and you would have to break the "no drinking while eating" rule. But for an extreme event like that I don't see it as a problem.

I have the same concerns. More from a hydration issue. In April me and my brother biked across Louisiana. 350 miles in 4 days. I do cramp alot and drink plenty liquids. So now that I'm 2weeks post op I can't wait to get on my bike again. But I'm very nervous about food and Water intake.

I have the same concerns. More from a hydration issue. In April me and my brother biked across Louisiana. 350 miles in 4 days. I do cramp alot and drink plenty liquids. So now that I'm 2weeks post op I can't wait to get on my bike again. But I'm very nervous about food and Water intake.

Tommy....I'm doing 25-35 mile rides pretty regularly now. And I can tell you it's no problem. But I've made 2 adjustments. First, my pre-ride hydration has gotten a lot better. I spend 30 minutes taking in as much Water as I can before I ride. It's a pain but it pays off. Second, I now love my camelbak. I can wear it or just strap it to the bars. But I can sip all day and its easier grabbing the tube and drinking than having to reach down for a bottle.

Good gawd, and here I thought I was doing well riding 100 miles a WEEK, I can't see doing that much or more in a day! Good work fellas, you are an inspiration!

Yeah Butterthebean I already have decided I need to get a camelback. I need to really do more pre ride hydration.I'm hoping the surgery has already helped with some cramp issues. I've had no cramps since surgery, I normally get cramps somewhere everyday.see dr today hopefully he lets me get on my bike.

Tommy....I'm doing 25-35 mile rides pretty regularly now. And I can tell you it's no problem. But I've made 2 adjustments. First, my pre-ride hydration has gotten a lot better. I spend 30 minutes taking in as much Water as I can before I ride. It's a pain but it pays off. Second, I now love my camelbak. I can wear it or just strap it to the bars. But I can sip all day and its easier grabbing the tube and drinking than having to reach down for a bottle.

I'm a big fan of CamelBaks. I always used one while mountain biking and liked it so much that I started to wear one for road biking as well. I don't like dodging cars while I'm fiddling with a bottle. Any ride over 20 miles it's worth wearing one.

I'm bringing this old thread back as an update. I did a 200k+ (130mi) bicycle ride Saturday. Weather was a little warm for WI at 80+F and I finished sub 9hrs. I am pleased to say I did this mock post surgery. My goal was to do liquids only and small sips. My meals included Ensure at 350cal every other hour and Hammer Perpeteum at 250cal in between. I needed a gel at the end as i finished the last 30mi into a 20mph headwind and needed an energy boost. I used a camelback too thanks to the previous poster and it really helped ease the hydration struggle. The biggest trick was Endomundo. It's an exercise iPhone app with GPS. Every mile (every 2.5-6 minutes) the phone wakes up and tells me how long it took to finish my last mile. That was my cue to take a sip or two. I never had to gulp. I had no problem getting up to a quart of fluids down per hour.

Btw, surgery date is in 1 week. liquid diet starts this morning .... I'm going to put a tick mark on my calendar in 1 year to bring this thread back again and report how my time differed after some significant weight loss.

Ok.....back to lurk mode.....

I'm bringing this old thread back as an update. I did a 200k+ (130mi) bicycle ride Saturday. Weather was a little warm for WI at 80+F and I finished sub 9hrs. I am pleased to say I did this mock post surgery. My goal was to do liquids only and small sips. My meals included Ensure at 350cal every other hour and Hammer Perpeteum at 250cal in between. I needed a gel at the end as i finished the last 30mi into a 20mph headwind and needed an energy boost. I used a camelback too thanks to the previous poster and it really helped ease the hydration struggle. The biggest trick was Endomundo. It's an exercise iPhone app with GPS. Every mile (every 2.5-6 minutes) the phone wakes up and tells me how long it took to finish my last mile. That was my cue to take a sip or two. I never had to gulp. I had no problem getting up to a quart of fluids down per hour.

Btw' date=' surgery date is in 1 week. liquid diet starts this morning .... I'm going to put a tick mark on my calendar in 1 year to bring this thread back again and report how my time differed after some significant weight loss.

Ok.....back to lurk mode.....[/quote']

Nice job. You're gonna be back in the saddle before you know it.