Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the gastric sleeve on November 7th. I spent 5 nights in the hospital because I could barely pass my own saliva. My saliva would bubble up and I would vomit foam. My stomach was swollen shut. On the 5th day, I was able to tolerate very small sips without throwing up. I'm home now but very weak. I have so much pressure in my chest. I take 2 small sips of broth or Water and I feel uncomfortable...pressure, fullness, etc. Does anyone have advice or similar stories?

Sorry to hear you are not doing well. I hope that the doctor thinks you are okay to be home. Try different temperatures of Water cold, warm, hot. Some will go down better than others. Try adding flavour to your water this may help too. Maybe a hot herbal tea.

I had something similar. I called it foaming at the mouth! I would create a lot of saliva and it wouldn't pass so I would throw up. I found that hot teas helped sooth and calm everything. My Dr. also game a steroid shot for the inflammation.

Yes,I vomited bloody foam the first 24 hours,then clean foam the next 24 hours and day 3 when I started sipping warm tea it really helped.For the first 3 days at home a sip was this.5ml from a teaspoon,swirled around in my mouth,allowing it to trickle slowly slowly into my throat.Literally drops at a time.

Week 2 for me was much better but my sleeve was swollen for a long time.The difference is remarkable once the swelling goes down.O,and I was sipping like that day and night to get even a little Fluid in every day.The warmer liquids did help though.

Hope the swelling goes down soon.Just keep trying all the time,one sip at a time.Wait,another,wait..ect.And blow that spirometer thingy every half hour.That seemed to have helped a lot with the pressure feeling I had.

Let us know how you are doing.

I was sleeved on the 7th too. I was in the hospital until Sunday bc my sleeve is J shaped due to my anatomy and my swallow study showed a slow passage of contrast at the bottom of my sleeve due to the loop. I have not had vomiting but I have nausea still. The doc just wants to take things slowly and wait and see how my body responds before corrective surgery. So far so good... I am having trouble with getting down fluids and that painful air in chest feeling. What works for me is sucking on Popsicles and thicker liquids like light n fit vanilla yogurt from a spoon.Warmer liquids also work well for me but I have to have small sips or use a spoon for broth. I am not getting in enough Fluid yet the most I have managed is 34 oz in one day but yesterday was only 28. I also walk around my block to get rid of the air or gas still in my body from surgery I walk very slowly for about 1/2 mile and it seems to help. Do you have anti nausea meds at home?I take 40 mg zofran a few times a day to combat nausea. My doctor did say to me that swelling seems to be worse after day 4 or 5 and I am definitely feeling more uncomfortable. Try a variety of things and I am sure you will find something that works:)

My experience was identical, except I was in the hospital 6 days. My best advice....drink slowly but constantly, to ensure you get enough liquids in. The last thing you want to do us to become dehydrated. Make sure your drinks have Protein in them, as much as possible. unjury chicken broth Protein powder mixed in Water, or chicken broth, Syntrax Protein powders mixed in Water, broths of any flavor with unflavored Unjury powder mixed in, I even drank hot tea with unflavored Protein Powder mixed in. Seriously....liquid and protein consumption is all you should be worrying about right now. Walk as much as possible, but make sure you get plenty of rest. And know that it will get better....soon!!!

All the best!

Laura

Thank you all for the information. I have felt so regretful and discouraged but I'm beginning to see there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.