Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Advance Too Quickly

Hi all, I was sleeved on 29/10 and already feel like I'm failing with the struggles. My NUT rang and said I can start purée on Monday so I made myself some purée n decided to have it on day 9, only half cup, it gave me a lil pain but nothing too bad. Then 1/2 junior burger the next day! I feel bad

1/2 junior burger the next day! I feel bad

Beam me up Scotty ;)

you feel bad physically cuz you ate 1/2 junior burgue?? you feel bad "mentally" cuz you had a 1/2 junior burger?

answer to both questions yes???

if you did hurt your tummy at this early stage, well....your stomach is recuperating - but tummy will forgive you this time ;)

mentally, feel bad??? - once again your tummy will forgive you ;)

its good you feel a little guilty - then you won't do this again for quite a while

eventually, maybe sooner than later, you will be able to eat that burger, or anything else - but in very small quantities

1/2 junior burger isn't bad if you are a few months along - but then again, whats done is done - tomorrow is a new day, don't beat yourself up over the slip up ^_^

take care my friend

continued luck with recovery

but.....no burgers yet, ok ;)

Hi all' date=' I was sleeved on 29/10 and already feel like I'm failing with the struggles. My NUT rang and said I can start purée on Monday so I made myself some purée n decided to have it on day 9, only half cup, it gave me a lil pain but nothing too bad. Then 1/2 junior burger the next day! I feel bad[/quote']

I'm sorry, I"m not going to be nice.

Are you nuts? You understand that eating too much of the wrong foods early out can cause your stomach to develop a leak? A burger? I want to say a bad word right now, but let me instead share with you the gory details of a leak....

Typically you don't discover them day one. Your fever will be low, energy low, and you might have some shoulder pain, but inside your body that poison that is leaking from your stomach is eating away at your internal organs. It might be your kidney or liver, perhaps like me, your esophagus could be filling with fluids from the internal swelling, causing your lungs to collapse. You literally can't breath because there is no capacity. The only cure is to cut a hole in your chest (while awake by the way) and slide a tube with a pump into your lungs. Or they could stick a knitting needle sized suction needle down your back (no anesthesia) to suck the Fluid out. This is only temporary, you will get the pump later. The pain is excruciating.

You can die from these procedures, or the loss of your other internal organs from the poison, not to mention lose your stomach. Leak repairs are risky and the majority are not successful the first time. You could end up with half a million or more in medical bills if you live.

I didn't break any rules to get my leak. You ate a burger.

Don't be a fool. This isn't something to play with.

Honest to goodness when I read that you had half a burger at less than 2 weeks outI thought instantly of my own stomach. The poor thing. Its been sliced, ripped out and just plain old battered. It needs your respect and care espeically at this point in time. Its no wonder you're in pain. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like and I honestly can't provide any sympathy for you.

I would have to agree with iggychic. This is serious and it can kill you if treated improperly.

I do hope that nothing bad happens to you but don't treat it like its nothing serious. I wish I could offer support but at this point. I honestly have nothing left to say.

Despite my mean sounding post Scotty, I really do care. I don't want anyone to suffer the pain I suffered or to be asked multiple times in the night if you need to see a Chaplin. You don't want to face death for a burger. :) I know it's hard and would add that perhaps you might want to make an appt with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders or perhaps a support group locally. I get wanting more :) But I also want to be clear to you what you risked. You likely wouldn't put a gun to your head and play Russian roulette right? What you did was actually the same game.

Talk to folks here, talk to your doctor, do it daily or hourly or whatever it takes for you not to take a risk like that again. If you are lucky you only got sick. But also because you have taken that risk you need to watch for leak symptoms for the next few weeks. Some are very slow to show. I hope you don't have an issue! But don't risk it again :)

After my surgery i got the following plan:

Phase 1. 10 days Clear liquids: Water, clear Protein, Powerade, broth

Phase 2. 10 days full liquids. Protein shake, skim milk, cream of veggies.

Phase 3. 10 days of pureed food ( im starting it tomorrow) pureed food no chunks. Scrambled egg, yogurth.

Phase 4. Solids. My surgeon says never to have solids before a month..... To be honest I had have some solids already but just a bite ... Once or twice a week.... I ve tried to keep on track... But it seems half a burger 2 weeks after surgery is too much... Our stomach was mutilated it need some time to get good. I would recommend you to have Clear Liquids for at least a week then forward to full liquids

I cannot imagine eating anything solid at this point (I'm on day 4 post-op). As stated above it isn't worth losing your life. This surgery is a life commitment to changing your eating and exercise habits. All you can do is live & learn and move forward.

I was one week post op yesterday......I am getting to the point where I can't choke down any more cream Soup, Jello or pudding. I am not wanting a burger or anything like that I am just ready for the next phase that includes a little mashed potatoe, veggie, soft fruit, a lttle cottage cheese, maybe even a hard boiled egg mashed up. I have had no issues what so ever, in fact I was no longer taking pain meds 2 days post op. I realize that we need to give our bodies time to recover just having a hard time with so little variety at this point. Cream soup, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding and yogurt one can only have so much until it's hard to take at least for me it is. I am ready for the next step on this journey. Waiting to hear back from the MA for my surgeon I would not try to move on without permission. We all need to practice a little patience I guess......and that has never ever really been my strong trait. :)

So... the day after surgery, my first meal was Clear Liquids. My second meal, while in the hospital, was pureed food. I was released to go home. The official "plan" for the second day after surgery is to start soft foods. The next week, I was able to add in other foods. I had chicken four days after my surgery - it was on my food plan. Granted, I didn't have a lot of it. While my plan did say that I could have half a slice of toast two weeks after surgery, I've only just started this.

So... the day after surgery' date=' my first meal was Clear Liquids. My second meal, while in the hospital, was pureed food. I was released to go home. The official "plan" for the second day after surgery is to start soft foods. The next week, I was able to add in other foods. I had chicken four days after my surgery - it was on my food plan. Granted, I didn't have a lot of it. While my plan did say that I could have half a slice of toast two weeks after surgery, I've only just started this.[/quote']

Where was your surgery? I've never heard of purée before 2-3 weeks. :)

I'm sorry' date=' I"m not going to be nice.

Are you nuts? You understand that eating too much of the wrong foods early out can cause your stomach to develop a leak? A burger? I want to say a bad word right now, but let me instead share with you the gory details of a leak....

Typically you don't discover them day one. Your fever will be low, energy low, and you might have some shoulder pain, but inside your body that poison that is leaking from your stomach is eating away at your internal organs. It might be your kidney or liver, perhaps like me, your esophagus could be filling with fluids from the internal swelling, causing your lungs to collapse. You literally can't breath because there is no capacity. The only cure is to cut a hole in your chest (while awake by the way) and slide a tube with a pump into your lungs. Or they could stick a knitting needle sized suction needle down your back (no anesthesia) to suck the Fluid out. This is only temporary, you will get the pump later. The pain is excruciating.

You can die from these procedures, or the loss of your other internal organs from the poison, not to mention lose your stomach. Leak repairs are risky and the majority are not successful the first time. You could end up with half a million or more in medical bills if you live.

I didn't break any rules to get my leak. You ate a burger.

Don't be a fool. This isn't something to play with.[/quote']

Lol..i thought of you when I read this post iggy..and I scroll down and there you are..lol..i like your honesty..its refreshing..i think we should ve freinds.

Where was your surgery? I've never heard of purée before 2-3 weeks. :)

My surgery was done in Fargo,ND at a Center of Excellence facility. This is the same plan they use for folks who have had the RnY too. Crazy, isn't it? I know that I questioned the doctor and the nutritionist a few times. But it all seems to have worked out! ;)

So... the day after surgery, my first meal was clear liquids. My second meal, while in the hospital, was pureed food. I was released to go home. The official "plan" for the second day after surgery is to start soft foods. The next week, I was able to add in other foods. I had chicken four days after my surgery - it was on my food plan. Granted, I didn't have a lot of it. While my plan did say that I could have half a slice of toast two weeks after surgery, I've only just started this.

I'm on Post Op Day 5 and I'm only just now able to get in a few bites of yogurt. I can't even begin to imagine starting pureed foods. You're one brave and amazing lady for sure :) I'm kinda jealous you can eat what you're eating lol. I would do about anything right now to eat pureed foods but I still get 'gurgles' occasionally and I'm not even allowed to think about pureed foods until the 20th :( lol.

Lol..i thought of you when I read this post iggy..and I scroll down and there you are..lol..i like your honesty..its refreshing..i think we should ve freinds.

I'm all for it...aside from my one little concern about having a friendship with anyone named "alias" :P