Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was The 1St Week Post Op Like?

I am booked in for my surgery in December and I am just wanting to hear about your experiences the first few days after the surgery. My husband and I decided to have the op on the same day and I'm wondering if we will be ok to take care of ourselves.

Aussie how exciting that you both will be taking this journey together! I am now 8 weeks post op and I have to be honest and tell you the first week was my worst. It is normal because you are having major surgery but there are some people who have no problems. My hunger immediately went away and so did my high blood pressure. I couldn't keep anything down the first day. My taste ifs changed drastically after surgery too. I had to make sure my back was up while sleeping and truly the advice on this site is what helped!!!

Make sure to walk walk walk and walk

Take some dry mouth spray

Take an extension cord

Sip sip and sip your liquids

If you do those things you will be fine and the best of success to you and your hubbie!

The first week sucked! But, some things to make it suck less

1. Pick up your scripts before surgery so they are readily available when you get home

2. Buy a stock of gas x strips!

3. Walk, walk, walk

4. Sip, sip, sip

5. sleep in a recliner if you have one. This makes it much easier to get up and down and prevents pulling of the muscles as they heal.

6. Remember on your worst day that it will get better!

Hi,I had my surgery Nov 1st (not even a week) and it is definitely the toughest week of my life. All the advice mentioned above is right.....sleeping in a recliner was the only way I can get comfortable shut eye. The few first days, I had a hard time bending. I have no appetite and am struggling to stay hydrated. Once I came off the pain killers, I was able to finally have bowel movements (they constipate you, so use only as really needed). If you have small kids, you will need help, otherwise, good luck! BTW- day 6 down 20 lbs..it keeps you focused!

I had no nausea, no vomiting, only hunger pains which were a 2 second cramp about 6 times a day first 3 days only. Then it went away. Ice chips were very helpful. Take chapstick and slippers to hospital. Walking helps so much! Also to be more comfortable, be willing to go bathroom yourself and get off the catheter ASAP. The walking helps that. I followed all the rules, love the broth and popsicles and each day better. Tons of energy. No painkillers after hospital and went home next day by choice, Arms filled with the gasses after sleeping in the reclyner--that was the worst of it, but it lasted 5 hours. After day three pretty much no lifting but normal.

I am 7 days post op and honestly the day of surgery was the worst for me. The gas pains in my back and chest were awful and I dry heaved twice I believe. But by the next day I was noticeably feeling MUCH better. And YES, walking does make a HUGE difference!

Days following the surgery consisted of sipping, walking, resting and not at all being hungry. Which was very weird to not be hungry. By day 6 though, I do believe I was feeling true hunger pains and it was the day to start full liquids anyways so I had a little bit of greek yogurt and it went away.

So all in all, I think i was one the lucky ones that really didn't have too many issues at all after surgery and continue to not really have any issues. This was the best decisions of my life. I've lost 17 lbs so far from preop & postop so I'm quite happy with that.

Good luck!

I am two days post op I had my surgery pm Monday the 5th. The hardest part for me was the first night. Lots of gas pains and pain whee my bulb was which is to be expected since 80 percent of my stomach was removed. Other than that the next day was better. Walk walk walk when they tell u to walk get up and walk it helps with the gas pains. If I had a choice I wouldn't change a thing. I would definitely go back and