Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Most Expensive Addictions

The 5 most expensive addictions

• Alcohol. Estimated annual cost: $166 billion. Binge drinking hits the unemployed harder on a per capita basis -- 10.4%, vs. 8.4% of employed people. It is most prevalent in small metropolitan locales, rather than big cities or rural areas. The $18 billion spent on alcohol and drug treatment last year represented 1.3% of all health care spending.

• Smoking. Estimated annual cost: $157 billion. The tab includes $75 billion in direct medical expenses, with the rest in lost productivity from ill patients missing work. Given the low-tax (or no-tax) underground cigarette economy on the Web and on Indian reservations, it's unlikely that sales and usage have dropped much over the past decade, official government statistics notwithstanding.

• Drugs. Estimated annual cost: $110 billion. Like alcohol, illicit drug use is more prevalent among the unemployed. Most addicts are also heavy drinkers, though only a small minority of alcoholics are drug abusers. Crystal meth has followed marijuana, cocaine and heroin as the drug of choice among the young set.

• Overeating. Estimated annual cost: $107 billion. Overeating increases the risk of many health problems, including heart attacks. Obesity causes 14% of attacks suffered by males and 20% of those suffered by females, the National Institutes for Health says, and fewer than a third of adults get regular exercise. The bulk of the $107 billion is the direct cost to treat heart disease, osteoarthritis, hypertension, gall bladder disease and cancer.

• Gambling. Estimated annual cost: $40 billion. Addicted gamblers often feel compelled to chase after bad bets with more money in the hope of winning back their losses. And some who catch the fever develop the need to periodically raise the betting stakes to keep the same thrill. Also, addicts often face job loss, bankruptcy and forced home sales, and they are at greater risk to commit crimes like forgery and embezzlement.

Along with the medical expenses, the cost of food can stack up also.

Well ive finally given up no2 the smoking, today is my forth day, finding it very hard but determined to see it through !! should save some money now lol !!!

Wow! Who would have guessed that smoking costs more than doing drugs? Maybe there is more competition in the drug "industry"?

I have so much extra money jingling in my pockets now from not spending so much on food that I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll take my family out for a good meal? Damn! Never mind. Old habits are hard to break!

I have so much extra money jingling in my pockets now from not spending so much on food that I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll take my family out for a good meal? Damn! Never mind. Old habits are hard to break!

You could take them out for drinks instead. Or a little weed...pass the bong around - a very bonding experience.

Just kidding. I know...I'm bad. :hippie:

I'm showing this to my grandparents who think that my obesity is worse than their chain smoking.

I'm showing this to my grandparents who think that my obesity is worse than their chain smoking.

Well, at least your obesity is YOURS. No one is going to die from "second-hand obesity".

I can say this because I am a reformed smoker. I just hope no one has pictures of me from those days, as a nursing mother.

Hmm, mystic tans and acrylic nails are really doing my budget in. Oh and hair colouring. I spend a bleeding fortune to look healthy and natural and not like something that just got dug up.

im very expensive. my shoes, my waxing, my massages, gym membership, my clothes and my very fast car. im worth every penny and i pay for it all myself. the rewards are huge. live free ... id rather have regrets for something i did ,than didnt.

Motoring and motorcycling magazines.

I CANT GET ENOUGH.

Every day i cruise past the news stand.

Can you imagine some USA magazines cost about A $18.00 here in Australia.

Shhh , DONT tell my wife.

Mark.:)

Drugs addicts die, they generally just do it in someone's living room or shooting gallery. I would think this study is clearly about 'insurance/medical' costs which few active drug addicts seek until they've gone nearly as far as they can go Healthwise - hence less spent medically. Overall cost to family and the society they live in - astronomical.