Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was a rough day an my eyes burn from crying for hours. 7 months ago my primary doctor suggested I check out Lapband surgery. I never thought it before because I thought it was a cop out but at 300 lbs, back pain, knee pain and a sad future looking forward gaining weight

when I choose to have children.

I decided to start on the path of Lapband and within a week I met with the surgeon, physical therapy, therapist and nutritionist. Everyone said I'm a great candidate for Lapband and just had a few changes to make I.e work out more. So I changed my diet and tried to work out more but working full time and going to nursing school made it all very difficult. Throughout the months I met with the dietitian and she said I was on track and said I needed one more appt with the higher up people and there shouldn't be a problem thinking I would have surgery during Xmas break. I met with these higher people and they proceeded to tell me I am no longer qualified for the Lapband because my bmi was 1.5 points over the max. No one ever told

me there was a max so I was very disappointed. They told me I would be better fit for the sleeve and I should start looking into that. So they made a follow up with the dietitian and another with a dietitian for sleeve diet education. I had an appt with my primary doc who put me on an appetite suppressant which worked great. I lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. Today I had my follow up with the dietitian which went great for the first half. Then she attacked. She went on and on about how I don't have time for this surgery and because of my work and school schedule there doesn't seem to be much time to make sure I eat right and get to the gym. She said I need to reevaluate life and make myself first. She said maybe after school would be better. I informed her that is two years away. So after 7 months and thousands of dollars later and dozens of appointments she was telling me to give up. I told her I wanted to have the surgery now because I want kids after school and she let me know that I can't have kids until 2 years after the sleeve so I would be well into my 30s before that happened. She said I seems to be doing everything right I just don't have the time. She told me no doc would preform the surgery with a bmi over 45 but no one ever told me that because my bmi hasn't been under 45 in years. She said she was sorry that they lied to me and lead me to believe all of this. I balled right there in her office for 30 mins and I walked out. So here I am still fat, feeling like a failure and no weight loss in sight..... It's been a very bad day.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Is there anyone else you cam talk to besides that nurse? Check your city to see if there are other bariatric doctors in the area. Go get a second opinion. I hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted.

My bmi is 48 and in getting sleeved in 2 weeks.. Id check around with other doctors cuz that's some bull not to mention there are people way bigger than us that have had bariatric surgery.. Good luck!

No one should have to go through all that. I have not heard of any doctor refusing to operate on someone with a BMI of 45, and I am sure some other folks here could back that up. I agree with Irish.. Go for a second opinion. You will find the right fit and be able to move forward. Good luck, and don't give up, you've worked too hard!

I feel for you. But never give up on yourself or what you want. Your plan sounds smart to me. I'm a nurse & having surgery over break should be ok because you probably don't start clinicals until late in January. You need at least 6 wks after surgery. A BMi of 45 shouldn't be a problem in order to operate. You've proven your Compliant& that's what insurance & doctors look for. I think living another year as an obese person will do you a lot of harm personally.

As for your dietician, she is obviously a nitwit who does not practice in a way that is therapeutic to her clients. Wait 2+ years? Why? You are too busy to eat right at this time? Who says that to someone who is trying to eat better? I think a lot of dietitians cannot relate to other people very well. My dietician eats celery & diet coke all the time & always tells me she is swimming in her size XS scrubs.

Never give up. Go for the WLS.

Hi Bell, Don't give up! It sounds to me like she is seriously overstepping her position. That is your doctors place, not hers. I am so sorry you had to go through that. Please don't let one nasty person get to you. :(

I would get an second opinion. The doctor who will do my surgery mentioned no limit for BMIs. The only thing he told me was that a BMI of 50 and over will have to be done at the hospital and not the surgical center. If I remember what I had read about the sleeve, is that for people who have very high BMIs, the sleeve is a two step process. So sleeve first to loose weight and then do the bypass surgery. So I think your NUT is really a NUT. Keep trying. Don't give up.

By the way, she should be there to help you, not tear you down. Take care.

It's very hard to get a second opinion My Heath insurance is through the hospital where i work. I tried to go to a different hospital but my insurance said they wouldn't cover it if it wasn't through my hospital.

Make an appt with the doc and get the real story from them.

My son has had a feeding disorder for years. We have met with nuts all over the country and honestly, they're 99% full of crap most of the time. It takes very little education to get the job and less brain power to keep it. Don't let some little nutcase stop your journey. Tell the doc what she said (which is total crap....this surgery is preformed on people in the 60's plus bmi as a first step). Over 40 is a typical insurance REQUIREMENT! She really has no idea what she's talking about sadly. She should be reported to her supervisor at a minimum.

thats wierd my bmi was over 50. can you go somewhere else?

She has been doing this for four years so I feel like she is qualified. She scolded me for having a few sodas but didn't say anything about losing 15 lbs in just a few weeks. Ughhh

What about a different NUT? I'm appalled at how you were treated. People with a BMI over 50 get sleeved all the time. Perhaps your surgeon's RN can help you out? I'm so sorry you're going through this. Keep going! You're so close!

My dear you have come this far. No one has the right to tell you what to do. This forum is full of informations and you can find everything . Find another Dr. or go to another city or state if you have to do not GIVE UP. Never cry and show your weakness and give the negative ppll the satisfaction. Prove them wrong you are a nursing student u can do anything . If you fail you get up and start over YOU CAN DO IT. Don't take no for an answer we here to support you. Bless you and good luck!

Today was a rough day an my eyes burn from crying for hours. 7 months ago my primary doctor suggested I check out Lapband surgery. I never thought it before because I thought it was a cop out but at 300 lbs' date=' back pain, knee pain and a sad future looking forward gaining weight

when I choose to have children.

I decided to start on the path of Lapband and within a week I met with the surgeon, physical therapy, therapist and nutritionist. Everyone said I'm a great candidate for Lapband and just had a few changes to make I.e work out more. So I changed my diet and tried to work out more but working full time and going to nursing school made it all very difficult. Throughout the months I met with the dietitian and she said I was on track and said I needed one more appt with the higher up people and there shouldn't be a problem thinking I would have surgery during Xmas break. I met with these higher people and they proceeded to tell me I am no longer qualified for the Lapband because my bmi was 1.5 points over the max. No one ever told

me there was a max so I was very disappointed. They told me I would be better fit for the sleeve and I should start looking into that. So they made a follow up with the dietitian and another with a dietitian for sleeve diet education. I had an appt with my primary doc who put me on an appetite suppressant which worked great. I lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. Today I had my follow up with the dietitian which went great for the first half. Then she attacked. She went on and on about how I don't have time for this surgery and because of my work and school schedule there doesn't seem to be much time to make sure I eat right and get to the gym. She said I need to reevaluate life and make myself first. She said maybe after school would be better. I informed her that is two years away. So after 7 months and thousands of dollars later and dozens of appointments she was telling me to give up. I told her I wanted to have the surgery now because I want kids after school and she let me know that I can't have kids until 2 years after the sleeve so I would be well into my 30s before that happened. She said I seems to be doing everything right I just don't have the time. She told me no doc would preform the surgery with a bmi over 45 but no one ever told me that because my bmi hasn't been under 45 in years. She said she was sorry that they lied to me and lead me to believe all of this. I balled right there in her office for 30 mins and I walked out. So here I am still fat, feeling like a failure and no weight loss in sight..... It's been a very bad day.[/quote']

That dietician is an idiot. I had my sleeve surgery 6 weeks ago and my BMI is 61. I have kaiser insurance and during my 12 week program all I was told was that the surgeon might recommend a gastric bypass since I'm bigger than most people who get the sleeve. When I met my surgeon and told him I wanted the sleeve, he was completely fine with it. Get a second opinion and don't tell them you are going to school, it's not their business what you do with your time. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

She has been doing this for four years so I feel like she is qualified. She scolded me for having a few sodas but didn't say anything about losing 15 lbs in just a few weeks. Ughhh

She's giving you information that is frankly quite incorrect. Many people do their "job" for years and do it really badly. If you accept the wrong information and give up than another bad nut wins. It's your choice of course, but this is just patently wrong information. The standard for insurance covering a sleeve is 40+ BMI with no need for comorbidities or 35+ with one or two (depending on the company) comorbidities. 50+ BMI's are still good sleeve candidates and higher than 55 are often recommended the sleeve for step one of a two step process. 60+ is done as well but you want to be sure you're working with a physician who's dealt with those higher BMI's. She's an idiot.