Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB v Slimes

You know I have had both slime and vomit (little food) the sliming is horrible feel in your chest and amounts of clear slim coming out of your mouth. I don't know if sliming is the same as pbing and if it is not what is pbing other than productive burping, what the @##$% is that? I have ask this same question before but no one really responsed except someone did say sliming was the same as vomiting. I really did not ever get a clear answer other than that. I do know that the vomiting is much more of a relief than the sliming.

Any replies or thoughts here? Anyone?

Well - I have experienced both. When I PB, it's like a mini throw up (sort of). Sometimes it comes with a funny sounding burp and the food I ate comes right back out. Not really like throwing up though because it's not like the normal stomach acidy kind of throw up. Slimes for me are the clear stuff that just keeps coming out of my mouth until whatever is stuck is unstuck. TMI? I hate both of these. Doc told me my band was too tight if this was happening, so I got a little unfill.

Yeah, since my fill yesterday (1st) I have PBs and slimes today...think I ate something stupid and it got stuck...my darn husband doesn't believe me when I say I can't go out to eat at place 'X' b/c there is nothing for me to eat...

They're similar but different. When you slime, you produce a ridiculous amount of clear liquid (saliva?) that you have to keep spitting out. A PB, at least for me, is more painful and when food that got stuck in the stoma are forced out. I say forced because that's what it feels like.

I've only had the slimes but my assumption is that that is pre PB. I tried my darndest to make whatever was causing my trouble on Saturday night come up but I am not a talented vomiter, I cannot do it on demand and my body needs to have some pretty severe signals to take over for me.

It took me a 40 minute very brisk walk (almost a jog) spitting every few steps in the dark to dislodge whatever it was that was causing my problem, gosh it hurt. Worst one I've had and caused by overeating - not huge overeating, just ignoring the signals.

I've only had the slimes but my assumption is that that is pre PB. I tried my darndest to make whatever was causing my trouble on Saturday night come up but I am not a talented vomiter, I cannot do it on demand and my body needs to have some pretty severe signals to take over for me.

It took me a 40 minute very brisk walk (almost a jog) spitting every few steps in the dark to dislodge whatever it was that was causing my problem, gosh it hurt. Worst one I've had and caused by overeating - not huge overeating, just ignoring the signals.

Okay, I know that horrible feeling so WELL, not so much lately because I am finally learning all the warning signs. Sometime walking for me just makes it worse, I have found that raising my arms and putting them on top of my head and holding my breath makes is last much less. You may of tried this. I pbed one time for an hour and half and I can tell you I really thought I was going to die! It was such a bad experience for me that I sometimes just refuse to even try to eat, which really is not a bad things as long as I do all my Vitamins and Protein stuff. I mean that is kinda what's it is all about, losing all this fat and staying healthy at the same time. I know one thing my feeling of food is certainly changing for the better.

I myself have only thrown up once and that was the one that lasted 1 1/2 hours. I will never forget that! I truely hate to throw up but it was such a relief when I did.

So I am still wondering if pbing is throwing up or just having the slime coming out of your mouth? I thought it was kinda both.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Hitting this a little late, I've been out of town, but here's my breakdown:

"Sliming" = excessive salivating, sometimes more viscuous than regular saliva. Usually precedes a "PB" (see below) or vomitting.

"PB" = involuntarily brining back up something that has become "stuck" (see below). This can include food and/or slime. Causes you to "wretch" like you're vomitting, but is very different from vomitting.

"Stuck" = when something cannot clear the stoma. food in the stoma can cause a back-up of saliva or food, if additional bites have been taken.

"Vomit" = This is an emptying of the stomach contents including stomach acids. It has nothing to do with band-specific events.

Vomitting and PB are TOTALLY different. Vomitting can cause damage when you're banded. I keep a Rx antiemetic on hand just in case.

Above definitions are MHO, others use the terms differently.

All I can say is do NOT eat an egg roll!!! I am dying! I ate it at work and was in a hurry---need I say more? I have been PBing and sliming for half and hour and still have the "swallowed a brick" pain in my chest. It's my own fault...I knew when I swallowed the first bite that I hadn't chewed it thoroughly enough...I ate the rest just hoping it would go through. I usually can't feel it until I'm finished. I am miserable!

Thank you all..... your info was great.

I was banded in April 2006, and have been having just these same

symptoms as all of you describe... just to have my doctor look at me like I was crazy or something. ( also my husband) and now I know that this really does happen to others also

THANK YOU!!!:nervous

For me, I will only slime when something is stuck. This has happened twice. The stuck feeling is the worst for me, I cannot tolerate the golfball and the burning that it brings. Both times I touched the back of my mouth with my finger and proceeded to PB. Luckily this did not last for more than 1 minute (the PB), but I had to do it to make the burning go away. The burning and stuck feeling gets me very scared.