Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

This journey began 7 years ago for me. I've struggled with my weight all my life and I finally decided to make an appointment with the surgeon. He is wonderful and one of the absolute best in Michigan. For one reason or another the timing was never right until this year. So, with the help of my doctors and family things moved along quickly and I had a VSG last Monday. Everything has gone smoothly so far. I had two nights in the hospital and have been home 5 nights now. I've been on the liquid only Protein diet and need some help. They are just tasting terrible these days. Do any of you have any helpful tips? Also, when did start eating small bites of solid food? I'm still making regular meals for my family and it is getting harder to not try a bite :-/ Thanks!

Have you tried other brands of Protein Shakes, check out Bariatric Choice.com, they have drinks, puddings, Fruit Drinks, Soups all with about 15 grams of Protein each, at this site you can purchase single servings to "try " them out before you spend the money on a larger size.the ones I've tried are pretty darn good. Also try some Ready to drink shakes-cold. Premier Protein at costco, EAS strawberry or fudge-available at many stores and online. Sometimes the RTD shakes are more acceptable for some people. Unjury makes a shake mix with 21 grams of protein comes in strawberry, chocolate, vanilla, unflavored, and chicken Soup. Use the unflavored in regular soups or puddings. Try mixing crystal lite with Water and adding some vanilla protein powder. Also check out GNC, you can return products even if opened, if they don't go over so well. Good luck. I am 1 month out and am starting to try small (fingernail size) bits of foods or finely chopped items. Eating on chicken and fish, no beef yet. I put tune, a stalk of celery and a bit of mayo in the food processor and it works very well, blend more for puree, less for later. Check out "The world according to Egg face.com. Lots of ideas and recipes."

Thank you for all the good tips & ideas. Good luck to you!

Hi! New here, and am also from MI. I am awaiting a surgery date, got ins approval on Friday. Who was your surgeon? Congrats & good luck!

From mi here too..kalamazoo..last nut and psyc appt Friday.. Hoping for a Dec date as i am a teacher ... Freaking out about pre op diet.. Any advice?

From mi here too..kalamazoo..last nut and psyc appt Friday.. Hoping for a Dec date as i am a teacher ... Freaking out about pre op diet.. Any advice?

What pre op diet do you have to follow? I only had to be on a clear liquid diet with 40 to 60 g of Protein per day for the two days prior to surgery. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but it wasn't that difficult. What I'm finding is the post op diet is very difficult! I can barely choke down a Protein Drink as the after taste makes me gag. I can't wait for puréed foods/soups! As far as advice for pre op dieting, I would buy lots of small amounts of Protein supplements and try a lot of them so you can have the ones you like for post op. Drink lots of Water, have chicken broth for dinner and eat sugar free popsicles. Just keep reminding yourself that you can do it! Good luck and keep in touch!

Hi! New here' date=' and am also from MI. I am awaiting a surgery date, got ins approval on Friday. Who was your surgeon? Congrats & good luck![/quote']

Hi, thank you. My doc is Dr. Jon Schram. He is with Spectrum Health Medical Group. Who is yours? Your date will be here before you know it. Sometimes I can't believe my surgery is done and over. Good luck!

Hi, thank you. My doc is Dr. Jon Schram. He is with Spectrum Health Medical Group. Who is yours? Your date will be here before you know it. Sometimes I can't believe my surgery is done and over. Good luck!

My surgeon will be Dr. Poplawski out of Ypsilanti, through Forest Health/Barix. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. I just keep waiting for the phone call! How was your overall experience? Any advice? Thanks! :)

I am also from Mi. I wait for my date and also hope for Dec. go Tigers;)

I am also from Mi. I wait for my date and also hope for Dec. go Tigers;)

Good for you! I had a couple rough days but I'm doing better this evening. Yes, Go Tigers!

My surgeon will be Dr. Poplawski out of Ypsilanti, through Forest Health/Barix. It's scary and exciting all at the same time. I just keep waiting for the phone call! How was your overall experience? Any advice? Thanks! :)

Overall experience has been great. My surgery went as good as possible and the doctor, nurses and staff at the hospital were great. One thing I do know is my doctor use to work at Forest Health/Barix for many years and he is awesome. I bet your doctor is too :-)

Awesome! I went to his seminar and liked him from the start, I feel really comfortable with him. Which is definitely important! My doc was a transplant surgeon before he began specializing in bariatrics. (Been doing bariatrics for the last 15 years). It's so good to see fellow Michiganders - and hear your experience. It makes me excited! I wish you continued success and hope to keep in touch!

I am seeing Dr. Verse man @ Borgess in kzoo... Any one else used him?

Shout Out Michigan. :D My doctor is Dr. Finks at University of Michigan. I am in month 3 of my 6 month diet so I will probably be sleeved in February.