Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failing This Pre-Op Thing.

Ok I'm going to be completely honest with all of you out there in hopes of getting some guidance or something.

I'm really failing at this pre-op diet. It's the six month supervised diet where I am not required to lose weight, but it's encouraged not to gain. Mine has gone like this:

Month 1- 272

Month 2- 271

Month 3- 275

Month 4- 273 (mostly bc I had just had a colonoscopy with a fast!)

Month 5- 279 ( my weigh in is in 2 days and I'm trying to juice cleanse, but I won't make it. I can make arrangements to get weighed in later, but it just means another failure.)

I don't want to get denied by insurance for my inability to do this. Part of the struggle is my unregulated thyroid ( working on it wih endo) and I have a letter from my PCP saying its unregulated, but mostly it's my food addiction. I just can't diet.

I feel so disgusting and worthless. I can't even diet for six months for the greater good of my life. I don't deserve the surgery.

Will i be denied? Does his mean I will fail post op if I DO manage to get approved? Ugh.

I haven't had experience with any 6 mos. pre-op for ins. But, I would point out that for four months you've held your own and I think that is rather a success. You're not premenstrual or anything or you? I find that's when my resolve dips lowest.

Don't feel like your are a failure... You are setting yourself up to be one. Try to think positive because you have a few positives in there: you are starting your path, you know you need help doing so, and you have identified your addiction. Now... This sleeve isn't a cure all. It will not magically make you not crave things so I highly suggest talking to a therapist to get to the roots of your addiction before you go any farther. And remember think positive. I had lost all my pre op weight in 7 weeks but 8 days on vacation I gained it all back, I am back on my tracking on myfitnesspal.com and that is helping tons.

i use the fitness pal, app and it is really helping me to stick to my 1,000 cal a day diet, also i eat lots of vegatables to fill me up, just keep on trying and don't give up on yourself. best wishes, Janet, x

Part of it is stress. As soon as I weighed in the last time (i think i lost 4 lbs over the 6 months, if that) I immediately dropped 2 more lbs. If you have taken any new meds or changed doses I would check side effects. I had to start on a med for my endometrial pre cancer issues that had a side effect of weight gain (amongst other scarier side effects). When I went in and weighed I told my pcp about what the endo had prescribed and the weight gain side effect and she noted it in my chart. I know it doesn't help to say "try not to stress" but stress will pack on lbs. I believe you will be ok!!!

I totally understand what you are going through. I went through the 6 months pre op diet also and I struggle with losing weight as well. My first 2 months I did not lose or gain then the third month I lost 10 pounds and the fourth month I gained 10 pounds. Finally the fifth and sixth month I didn't lose anything, part of it was totally stress so much stress with my job, with trying to lose weight, with making time to workout and with disappointing my nutritionist. I stressed myself to the max and couldn't seem to stick to the plan. My last month I was so depressed because I felt like I failed and the insurance company wouldn't approve me. So I talk to my nutritionist and told her how I felt. That day she truly encouraged me, she said that she knew I was trying and that's the reason I need the surgery because it's very hard for you to do it on your own. She also said that it's very rare that she seen an insurance company deny a claim because of weight gain. Just to give you a little background, 2 years ago I was extremely successful with weight loss eating right and exercising 3 to 4 times a week ( which I loss 55 pounds). However, I struggled with depression, that lead me to eat eat and eat some more.(gained all that weight back plus more) Through counseling now I feel like I have a hold on that emotional eating and constantly putting myself down. So don't be down on yourself for your success will come and your insurance will approve you. No worries!

Stop stressing... While i haven't had to go through the supervised diet i have lost 40+ pounds in the first 5 months and i credit most if not all of it to a total change in my state of mind.

Just like everyone else here i have a story of how i got to where i am, and despite the fact that i was big at birth, i still contributed A LOT! my first thoughts of the pre-op were that it was just a diet til i get to surgery, ITS NOT! in the last 5 months ive seen so many different doctors, and gone to therapy more then i ever have in my ENTIRE life. There are a lot of f'ed up things that have happened in my life, some things that i had to indirectly address due to the severity of the issue. Before starting the process to surgery i never even though that i would voluntarily deal with these things, but i have because i have (with the help of my doctors and therapists), I've come to peace with everything in my life.

I am male carnivore, i never once in my live gone without bloody red meat (steaks) for more then a few days, i now eat no red meat and have no desire to, most of my diet consists of seafood and poultry and greens, and I would like to go completely vegetarian if i didn't have such a priority on Protein.

I have literally changed my entire state of mind and its not been easy at all.

im not saying all this because i want to boast, im saying it to hopefully stress the importance of the need to stop stressing. I would not have been able to accomplish ANY of this if my head wasn't in the right place, or if i were over stressed. As it is, i work multiple jobs and average 30ish hrs of sleep a WEEK (that works to 4ish hrs a day) and my stress level is at an all time low. Find a therapist, one that you like and can really talk to, i went through a couple but now have a great therapist.

Stop worrying about numbers... sure weight is important, but its also a constant reminder of how your doing, and if you aren't doing to great then its only going to cause negative feelings. i never weigh myself, the only times im weighed is when im at the doctor. Sometimes (like the last time i was weighed) my weight loss was much lower then i thought, and sure i was feeling down that day, but it didn't affect the 3 weeks before the weigh-in where i was feeling great. Find your non-scale victories and think about those more then you think about any type of failure.

Consult with your doctors, they're there to help. If you don't like your doctor, or feel that they aren't to helpful then change them. Im not sure of the area you are in, but hopefully you have options when it comes to hospitals and/or dr.s or medical professionals. Talk to a therapist, i dont think your crazy or anything but it really does help, specially though the rough times. Find the medical professionals that you feel comfortable with, don't go through all this feeling lonely or stressed.

I feel so disgusting and worthless. I can't even diet for six months for the greater good of my life. I don't deserve the surgery.

Will i be denied? Does his mean I will fail post op if I DO manage to get approved? Ugh.

its my first time having this surgery, but this alone makes me feel like you aren't ready. I'd say wait off just a bit longer and get your head in the right place.

I've also failed to address your unregulated thyroid, Its not helping any, thats clear. But i feel like it was brought up as a way to justify what you feel as your failure. By needing to justify it, it probly means you didn't try your hardest.

Im sorry if this comes off a little hard/harsh, thats not at all how i wish for it to come across. I will however emphasize the importance stress plays in how well you do.

I would like to leave you with some words that were sent to me, these words literally motivated me every time it got tough for me, the helped me through the days when i thought i should just quit.

"You can and will do this!! I don't live in Chicago but I know that you are going to work out the struggles and be on your way to a better you!! I support you in all you do to better yourself!! The next song you play after you loose the weight will be music to your own ears!!!"

-shrcumm

LapBandTalk.com

--

One last thing. I do want to let you know that if you need anyone to talk to you can feel free to pm me. i've had my share of rough nights during this long process, in the last few months ive gone through LOTS OF DHRAMA (thats drama with an extra h, just to add that much more drama) in my life, and i wouldn't wish it on anyone. if you need someone to talk to my ears are open (or since we're in a forum) my reading glasses are on.

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to respond to me. All of you have done lots to ease my mind, and even put this into perspective.

I know it's not my thyroid that has caused me to be where I am with my weight. It's not what has made me fail at this so far. I know it's my food addiction and my failure to get help for it. I will be going to OA meetings next week. My stress level has been through the roof as well, so I need to find a way to CAAAAALMMMM DOOOOOWN!!!!!! Lol.

I do want the surgery. I think it will be a great TOOL to help me conquer this. But as Aaron said, I simply have not tried my hardest. Suffice it to say that I haven't tried at all. That is, up until this past couple weeks. Too little, too late? I guess we shall see.

Thank you everyone. And if anyone else has any insight, please share!

You're not a failure. I've never been able to stick to a "diet" unless I was on prescription diet pills. I had already had a six month medically supervised diet 2 years ago and so I didn't have to do that now but I've had a hard time with my food intake too and my NUT appt. is next Tues and I don't want to show any large weight gain. If I'm up a pound or 2 no big deal. So this week I started tyring to just eat clean - chicken breast, veggies. I weighed myself and I'm 5 pds. heavier than my initial appt. with the surgeon. I think I can drop the weight before next Tues. I don't think the insurance will deny you because you are going up & down 1-5 pounds a month - it just shows you need the surgery.

I know it's not my thyroid that has caused me to be where I am with my weight. It's not what has made me fail at this so far. I know it's my food addiction and my failure to get help for it. I will be going to OA meetings next week. My stress level has been through the roof as well, so I need to find a way to CAAAAALMMMM DOOOOOWN!!!!!! Lol.

This is the way someone who is determined talks! Glad to see the turn around, now just take the steps to maintain this and you'll feel much better overall. Best of luck to ya.

I feel for you. I've gained 10lbs since deciding to do the surgery. I'm gonna be huge by the time surgery rolls around LOL. Hang in there and don't be so hard on yourself.

I had to do a doctor diet, too before surgery. I ignored it and did what I always did...tried to eat healthy, exercise, and didn't beat myself up if I gave in to cravings at times. I lost about 7 pounds, and my surgery was approved. Forget that you're on that diet, but try adopting some of the behaviors you'll need for post-op. I think that's the best thing you can do for yourself, besides stop beating yourself up. It will be ok.

Sleeve date: Oct. 15. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

I lost 2 pounds on my 3 month medically supervised diet, and I didn't really try to lose those 2. I've lost over 100 pounds twice in my lifetime, so the ability to diet and exercise has never been the problem. The problem is maintaining after I hit goal. I could never do it without the sleeve, so I didn't worry about any pre-op weight loss. Now, I can diet and exercise without starving, and once I hit goal, I don't have to worry about gaining the same 100+ pounds back. You'll be fine. If you've never lost weight on your own before, I would recommend at least tracking your food in MFP and starting some form of a fitness routine, so you won't be so overwhelmed all at once with all of the changes. Good Luck!

I was worried about weight gain on my six month pre-op as well. I gained five pounds. The NP in my surgeons office told me not to worry about it since those extra pounds will come off in the weeks before surgery (2 weeks low carb + 4 days clear liquids). She was right. I'm down six pounds with only two more days till surgery.

Sending good vibes & positive thoughts your way. YOU CAN DO IT!!