Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The mystery of clothing sizes

I am so confused about clothing sizes. I've been wearing Avenue clothes mostly, so those are the sizes I use in my sig. I'm wearing size 18/20 tops, 20 jeans, and 18 in the "denim lite" shorts. All of the 22 pants I had are too large now.

So recently I went on Avenue's website, and looked at their fit charts. Using my measurements, those charts say I should be fitting comfortably into their size 22/24 on top and 26/28 on the bottom! Now, I can understand making the size numbers lower to flatter customers, but why not have size charts that accurately reflect the size of the clothes?!? Of course people are shaped differently, but I'd think one person's 44 waist is the same as another's.

I just don't get it. What has been your experience? I don't care what size I'm actually wearing, but I don't have a lot of time to try things on so I like to shop online. But if I actually go by the size charts I'll waste even more time! Grrrr...

And a related rant: Being size 26/28 and 5'10" made shopping for pants easy. There are very few stores offering pants in those sizes that also come in TALL. Now that I'm a 20 (or 18, or 22, or whatever I am) the talls are too long and the normals are too short. Just with Avenue the difference between tall and average lengths is something like 4 inches!! I guess I'm heading to Lands End for custom hemming...

I have to try clothes on for a true fit. Being short affects the way pants fit too. Have you ever tried Catherine's Women's Clothing? They have beautiful clothes and really good sales. We have their stores here. But their website is www.catherines.com

Just a couple of more downsizes and you can buy clothes anywhere you want to!! Congratulations on your great weight loss!

I went shopping to day for some summer clothes and I have not shopped since being banded 13 weeks ago. I'm the worst about trying on clothes..I absolutely hate it. I usually just go in to the store pick out what I like in the appropriate size 18-20 buy it and leave without ever trying it on. Well today I had to venture into the fitting room becasue of the 31 pounds I've lost. I was so happy to be able to fit into a 16 so I bought 3 pairs of shorts and 2 tops and even a bathing suit :D . Hubby gave me 100.00 to spend and I spent $100.42 . Felt pretty damn good !

You are awesome! Anytime someone is able to fit into a smaller outfit it feels good! Good job! Keep up the good work. I too hate shopping and just look forward to the day I don't have to shop at specialty fat people's clothing store. I don't know why they think every fat person likes to where sequins and wonder which planet those designers are from. Just because I am round doesn't mean I belong to barnum and bailey. LOL... T

You don't realise how lucky you are having so much choice for clothing in large sizes!!!

Outside of America it is a very different story!

I am fortunate in not being short of clothes but only because I spend a lot of time in London and frequent Harrods "fat ladies" dept! I get into trouble for calling it that but as I'm a fat lady I just call it what it is.

They have a reasonable selection but at a price. Also we have Marina Rinaldi,the Italian brand which is my favourite but doesn't always suit my shape even if they have my size(English 26 which I think is American 30).

In Dubai we have a few shops but not much choice so it is either tailor made or wait till I'm in Europe.

Even all the American clothes sites on the net are no good to us as they don't deliver or take payment from ouside the U.S.

My daughter loves New York and is always trying to persuade me to go there with her for shopping.

Hopefully now I have the lap band I will be able to shop anywhere again soon.

It is particularly difficult for evening gowns or formal wear if there is a function to attend which requires such outfits.

I have had some deliveries from American sites but the clothes rarely fit as the sizing is different and seems often to be 1,2 or 3. Often it is too large too as I naturally order a "3",so I have stopped that now.

2 years ago I was in Minneapolis and visited the Mall of America. I bought so many lovely clothes in Bloomingdales or Saks,don't remember but there was so much choice of really good quality and stylish clothing.

Sorry.....probably ranted too long,but you do have an advantage over the rest of us!

I know we're lucky, and we have it a lot better now than we did even 20 years ago. As a teenager I was never able to find jeans that fit or were long enough. Men's carpenter pants were the only kind that had the high rise that I needed and came in lengths.

Now women have a huge range of choices and for that I am thankful. But after years and years of being 26-28-30 (usually the largest available size in whatever I was buying) it's confusing to be unsure of what to buy. I never did try on clothes either, Michele, but I sure returned a lot!

Yesterday I did try on some clothes. In some pants size 20 fit fine, while in another type a size 22/24 was too small. In blouses it's easier, with the 18/20s fitting pretty consistently. Then I went to buy a bathing suit (YIKES!) and bought a 20W, which is too short (oh yeah, I forgot why I don't buy tanks!). Sigh. :D

New Hope, thanks for the tip! I've never heard of Catherine's but will be checking them out soon. :D

Yana: I visited the site for Dubai but did not see where the city is located. Is it in Saudia Arabia?

Hi Penni,

No Dubai is not in Saudi Arabia. It is in the Emirate of Dubai,one of the seven United Arab Emirates in the Arabian Gulf,it borders Saudi Arabia but is very different.

I think the whole world is coming here for holidays now,tourism is huge and facilities are second to none. It is in every magazine and TV programme except perhaps inAmerica but we have a lot of American expats living and working here and lots of American companies setting up their regional headquarters in our Free Zones such as Internet City where we have Microsoft etc,or in our Media city where we have CNN etc.

Everyone loves it here but it is quite a unique place as we have over 170 different nationalities living and working here in total harmony. There is virtually no crime,which is why everyone likes it so much as it is so safe and we have state of the art medical facilities etc. There are quite a lot of American Doctors and Dentisits as well as business people. The Golf courses also attract a lot of people as they are so good. We have excellent hotels and restaurants etc.

A lot of young people from U.A.E. go to the States for further education,in fact I have 2 nephews studying in Boston at present.

You very seldom find U.A.E. nationals emigrating or living elsewhere permanently though as htey all love their country because it is peaceful and the population are well provided for,the locals have free education,healthcare and housing if they need it. It is a city developed and still growing out of the desert where it sometimes doesn't rain for 4 years but it is green and verdant thanks to the far sightedness of the ruling family and the generation before this too.

I am from London but my husband is from here and I have been marrried 30 years.

What a long reply to a short question! Sorry if it's too much information!

Yana: It sounds like you live in a very diverse city. That is awesome. I was looking at the site you sent and it looks like a great place to visit actually. Might have to keep it in my travel plans sometime.

Yes Penni,you should! It is better to visit between Novenber and April when the weather is perfect,between 25-28C and no humidity.During the other months it is too hot...up to 50c! and very humid but then absolutely everywhere and everything is air-conditioned and they do good deals during summer due to it being low season. Christmas and New Year are already almost fully booked ahead in most hotels. I am off myself soon as usual in the summer to cooler climes!

Yana,

My best experience with large sizes outside the US was in Germany, at a Ulla Popken store. I mention them because they are online. They also have a store in Kuwait. That IS a little far to go for a daytime shopping trip, but it seems logical that a company with a presence in Kuwait would ship to the UAE.

Sue

www.ullapopken.com

Thanks for the Ulla Popken info...I had tried them before but it was a year or so ago so I'll definitely try again. If they've opened in Kuwait they may well open here as we have so many new malls going up!

Thanks Again

Yana