Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Condidered Exercise ?

Ok, so most people on here know of me and know that I work 6-7 days a week in a fast pace restaurant. Most days I work 12 hour shifts and hardly get to sit down , especially in the weekends. I was sleeved July 7 and I've gone from 250 to 210 since my preop. I try to work out on my off days or the half days I get. Do you all think in doing ok? Thanks for the opinions ;).

So, does your day to day work constitute exercise? Sure. Vaccuuming is exercise. Is it working out? No.

So, on your off or half days, are you able to get your heart rate up to 75-85% of your target heart rate for at least half an hour?

This is where you get seeing some direct benefits of exercise and working out for the purpose of burning calories.

So, looking at your numbers and how far out you are, I think you are doing great. I've read tons of your posts and I think your head is in the right place, too.

Are you meeting your goals?

Ok, so most people on here know of me and know that I work 6-7 days a week in a fast pace restaurant. Most days I work 12 hour shifts and hardly get to sit down , especially in the weekends. I was sleeved July 7 and I've gone from 250 to 210 since my preop. I try to work out on my off days or the half days I get. Do you all think in doing ok? Thanks for the opinions ;).

I think you are most definitely on the right track. That much activity plus the workouts will pay off for you. I lose weight just going to theme parks and walking around. Your day is much more intense.

I would be concerned about how much rest you get. Are you sleeping well and long enough? Adequate rest is a factor that is overlooked in weight loss many times.

So' date=' does your day to day work constitute exercise? Sure. Vaccuuming is exercise. Is it working out? No.

So, on your off or half days, are you able to get your heart rate up to 75-85% of your target heart rate for at least half an hour?

This is where you get seeing some direct benefits of exercise and working out for the purpose of burning calories.

So, looking at your numbers and how far out you are, I think you are doing great. I've read tons of your posts and I think your head is in the right place, too.

Are you meeting your goals?[/quote']

Yea I do get my heart rate up for atleast an hour at the gym. I'm meeting my goals and I mark them all on MFP. Thank you for ur honesty and reply. Sometimes I need assurance that I'm doing things right ;).

I think you are most definitely on the right track. That much activity plus the workouts will pay off for you. I lose weight just going to theme parks and walking around. Your day is much more intense.

I would be concerned about how much rest you get. Are you sleeping well and long enough? Adequate rest is a factor that is overlooked in weight loss many times.

I get my rest most days, I do sleep atleast 8 hours a night , but I'm constantly on the go, which I like and I'm used to.

I think if looks great - I had surgery August 9th, and I am a preschool teacher... I move a lot at my job, but not nearly as much as you!

I am now walking/jogging for the first time in my life... must say that it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done for myself~

:D

I think if looks great - I had surgery August 9th' date=' and I am a preschool teacher... I move a lot at my job, but not nearly as much as you!

I am now walking/jogging for the first time in my life... must say that it is the most rewarding thing I have ever done for myself~

:D[/quote']

Thanks! Great job!

Having an active life is great. It will help you burn more calories. It will not do much for increasing lean muscle or increasing cardio fitness. But it's much better than sitting behind a desk. The only problem with it is, it's always the same. The intensity doesn't increase over time like exercise does. So your body adapts and you get no gains from it. But if you stop, all those calories you were burning will now accumulate on your body.

I have a very physical and active job as well, plus I'm always chainsawing, digging, setting fence posts....or something similar at home. But I would advise that you do not allow it to become a substitute for exercise, because of the fact that your body will (or already has) adapted to this activity and it's not increasing, like exercise will.