Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SHARE... what you've learned after Banding

Thanks to everyone who posted a tip on here. I was just given this site by my doc. I had been out for over a year before coming back to him. I had lost 80 lbs, and now have gained nearly 50 back. This is the hardest journey for me right now. After my visit with the doc and nutritionist yesterday, I am back on track but it is so hard to believe that I will ever get to my goal weight. After reading many of the tips, I am now going out for a 30 minute walk at lunch. Thank you and much luck to all! ;)

I made a "nutrition book" for each day of the month and each meal I list what I ate, the calories, time I ate, how satisfied I was (from 1-10) and the BIGGEST most IMPORTANT part of the book is the column that says "hungry time". I have to actually write down what time I get hungry after each meal. It really helps me to remember to pay attention and ask myself whether I have real hunger or "head" hunger. I really recommend it, it WORKS!

I've learned to actually pay attention to what and how much I am eating. I sometimes catch myself going into the fridge to pick on leftovers. I never even realized I did that.

I also learned...and this is a big one...not to be ashamed of having the lapband. It doesn't make me a failure because I couldn't lose the weight on my own. It makes me stronger because I took the necessary steps for success.

And another biggie...It's okay to accept support. This board is great for information, but it's even better for the support you get from others who are going through the same struggles.

Oh my goodness...FAUXNAIF!!!

You are 7lbs from goal! You must be so excited and happy. Have you posted any pics?

Amazing weight loss!!

** It feels soooo GREAT to be able to pull out the drawers of my dresser and find jeans that I shoved way in the back because they were too DAMN TIGHT....then slip them on and OH MY GOD THEY ARE LOOSE!!!!!

** It feels great to feel like I DO have control over what I decide to eat, and that I can and will make GOOD food choices, if Im home alone or in a social setting!!!

** Every new day with my band has been a learning expereince, and I feel sooo much better and happier these days!!!!

Guess what they never tell you in the LapBand brochure:

• The more weight you lose, and the smaller you become - the more fill you might need

I will continue to add to the "Fill Gospel" because unfortunately, no one bothered to preach it to me. So I learned the hard way. :phanvan But with forums like LBT, then we can all learn from each others experiences! :grouphug:

It's easy to brag about 'only having 1.1cc in your 4.0cc band, if you have a larger frame and a fleshier stomach area. When your stomach is larger, than the LapBand doesn't need much 'fill' to restrict it.

To someone who weighs 350 lbs. (or 350#) with a possibly larger stomach, a fill of 1.25 cc may seem like a whole lot of restriction.

To another patient who weighs 250# then 2.25cc may seem almost like too much.

But the patient whoslims down to a weight of 150# may need 3.0cc's or more to feel that same amount of restriction.

Getting to our (sometimes mythical) "sweet spot" may take a bunch of small, incremental fills. That's OK. And don't think that the fill level that worked for you 25# ago, or 50# ago or 100# will still work. Fill levels change. They sometimes ebb and flow like a sea tide. So we have to be ready to keep our levels adjusted to keep our tool working at optimal level.

• Most 'slim-to-normal-weight' Bandsters that I know have much more fill than they did when they were heavier.

No, this does not just mean that they are relying on the bands alone, but it also means that their stomachs are so much smaller, that it takes a more full band to create or keep the same level of restriction.

So in a way, a bit more fill in your band may be a sign that you're getting smaller. :clap2:

Onwards to goal weight victory, everyone. Let's keep these great tips coming.

I learned:

-I know check calories on EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth or I think about putting there.

-Portion sizes REALLY should be the size of a card (go figure)

-Nothing feels better than putting on my fat lady jeans by accident and then realizing the are just too damn big!!!

-Most of all I learned that I can do anything I want!

I have learned that:

-you should not listen to your mind, it will trick you into eating too much. Eat small portions and then wait til it hits bottom, you're probably full.

-you can take control of your weight problems if you want to.

-you should not give up on yourself!!!! if you mess up one day just remember the next day is a new one to start out fresh.

My list (7 weeks out):

~ Even though they mean well, skinny husbands don't always "remember" that you now have a band and continue to offer you high calorie treats

~ Wine goes down as easily as beer once did, maybe easier

~ You don't have to tell everyone. My kids and parents still don't know!

~ The scale can be your friend if you don't obsess about the fluctuations

~ Flavored Water, like Propel, helps me reach my daily goals and only adds 20 calories per bottle

PatU