Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

53; Fat And Ready For Help!

I am 53 years old, a nurse and I work the night shift. I am a non-insulin dependant diabetic; GERD; high cholestrol; high blood pressure and arthritis in knees and hips! I am also a breast cancer survivor (woo hoo!! 5 years!!). After meeting the 5 year mark, I decided to take charge of the rest of my life. Am in the process of making appointments for my psych eval and EKG. (I had messages on my phone to call and schedule appointments for these, and a letter by the insurance company approving the psych appointment, so I am assuming that the insurance company has basically approved the surgery, I will find out today when I get up). Hoping for surgery by mid November if I go by the time it has taken for others in the area to get going. My Doctor is Senthil Sankaralingham and I really like him. I am hoping to go off of the majority of my medications following this surgery, I can't lie, looks are important, but my health is the main reason I am doing this. I have ordered some Unjury and have to admit, the pain does not worry me as much as the protien shakes - I have never been able to get even an instant Breakfast down let alone any type of Protein Shake. If I do not like the smell, texture or taste, I have a tendency to throw up after the first swallow! I am however trying some different ones before the surgery, and am determined if I have to settle for even one I can get down, I will drink it several times a day!! I also dread giving up my Dr. Pepper!!!!! Well, I will post as I hear the news! I am glad I will be able to post my updates here.

Your never too old to get healthy. Good for you! I'm 51, and wish I had done it sooner. Keep us updated.

hi, i am 54 and am having my sleeve on the 9th in the uk on the nhs.

I have bought soya Protein, but don't intend on making shakes but to add to my food at the pureid stage.

Hope everything goes well for you with the tests, x

I am 53 years old' date=' a nurse and I work the night shift. I am a non-insulin dependant diabetic; GERD; high cholestrol; high blood pressure and arthritis in knees and hips! I am also a breast cancer survivor (woo hoo!! 5 years!!). After meeting the 5 year mark, I decided to take charge of the rest of my life. Am in the process of making appointments for my psych eval and EKG. (I had messages on my phone to call and schedule appointments for these, and a letter by the insurance company approving the psych appointment, so I am assuming that the insurance company has basically approved the surgery, I will find out today when I get up). Hoping for surgery by mid November if I go by the time it has taken for others in the area to get going. My Doctor is Senthil Sankaralingham and I really like him. I am hoping to go off of the majority of my medications following this surgery, I can't lie, looks are important, but my health is the main reason I am doing this. I have ordered some unjury and have to admit, the pain does not worry me as much as the protien shakes - I have never been able to get even an instant breakfast down let alone any type of Protein shake. If I do not like the smell, texture or taste, I have a tendency to throw up after the first swallow! I am however trying some different ones before the surgery, and am determined if I have to settle for even one I can get down, I will drink it several times a day!! I also dread giving up my Dr. Pepper!!!!! Well, I will post as I hear the news! I am glad I will be able to post my updates here.[/quote']

Taralynne I'm so proud of you for taking control of your life! You will be so happy you chose to do this surgery! I'm 3 1/2 months post op and down 80 lbs so far, the only advice I have for you is don't buy a lot of protien powder before your surgery cause your taste is gonna change and you might not even be able to stand the taste of what you already bought. Good luck with all your pre-surgery appointments, and keep us updated on how things are going!

There are a lot of great ideas on here to spice up your Protein Shakes. It makes them so much easier to drink! Good luck.

I'll be 50 in July and I plan on starting my second century with a big body do-over!!! Going through the testing list now. Hoping for January/February. Birthday is in July. I can't stop coming to this web site looking for information, advice and support. It's wonderful!!!

Fantastic!! I've been trying a bunch too in preparation for my surgery. I found that Pure Protein Shakes 23gm or the 35gm version are both much lighter in texture than some others. You can get them at GNC, but I've been ordering from Amazon. They also sell the powder version.

Unjury chicken Soup is really very good.

Good luck!!

Congrats for making this decision to have a greater quality of life.. CONGRATULATIONS for being a survivor and beating cancer...

I love Muscle milk and Premier Protein, both in chocolate.. I can't tolerate any other drinks.. they're too ugh!!... I would suggest buying two of each from the grocery store, chill one and leave one at room temp.. See if it changes the taste/texture for you...

Good luck!!!

I am embarrassed to admit, but I actually cried about giving up coca cola before surgery. I was addicted, truly addicted. So I get the Dr. Pepper thing. I will say, once I went through the initial withdrawal while on the preop diet it has been easy - I can't believe I am saying that - not to go back. I do know that it would just take one sip to return to my addiction though, so never again for me! You can do this!

Congrats on starting the process.