Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How soon before returning to work?

I was wondering if any of you who have been banded could tell me how soon afterwards you went back to work? I'm going to be banded late in November and asked at work today to book the day off - its a Friday so I'm thinking I can return to work on the Monday but now I'm wondering if I should have asked for Monday off as well.

How did it work for any of you - and how did you handle the diet restrcitions the first few weeks at work? I'm still not comfortable telling ANYONE about it.

Thanks!

HI I was banded on Sept 22 a Friday, I shopped on the Saturday and I went to work on Monday. Only be cause I had too. If i would have had a choice I would have taken Monday off. I worked the rest of the week and all is well with me!! Good luck. I know others have had different experiences.

Everyone is different and needs varying amounts of recuperating depending on how you react to surgery (any type of surgery) and the anesthetic. I assume you have a non physically demanding job (ie. desk job)? If so, you may be ok to go back on Mon but you certainly won't feel like yourself.

I took 10 days off....but that is because I could and I just wanted a lot of extra time (& also didn't tell anyone and didn't want them to notice anything was up). Could I have gone back sooner? Sure. Did I want to? Nope.....so am happy I took lots of time off.

Thanks - yes, I do have a desk job working on a computer all day or on the phone. I guess I'll risk just taking one day off and hope all goes well and that there aren't any important meetings that first day! Luckily, we have a really realxed dress code (jeans) so I don't have to worry too much in that department.

Hi I do have a desk job I was off one week - and the people I work with still don't know i have been banded

Hi I booked a week off but...i had the surgery on a thursday, and on monday there was a famiy crisis and i had to take two of my grandchildren for the week (age 21/2 and 11/2) so the not lifting, taking it easy plan flew out the window. In fact when i picked them up, as i leant over the 2 1/2 y.o to unlock the door, and he jumped, and hit my incisions HARD with the top of his head, it hurt like hell, made my eyes Water, but no real harm was done at.

I survived it all without any ill effects other than complete total exhaustion, which is pretty much par for the course with two toddlers anyway!

I'm not saying a week of rest would have been great, but if you have to, you can manage!

hope this rambling story helps.:confused:

Thanks everyone - that really does help. I'm a little worreid about things like the horrible Constipation monster but I'll check with my doctor. It's going to be Dr. Coburn in Mississauga.

I noticed somewhere that someone mentioned he had his own bandster forum - or is it just his usual website? Just wondering.

Has anyone any input on what to do if you get the stomach flu or something similar and need to throw-up (drive the porcelain bus). How does that work for anybody. What happens about nausea? Does it mess up your band? Or do you just explode cause it can't escape? I haven't found anything in the material I was sent by the doctor's office.

Sorry to address such a messy issue.

Neenagh you are why too young to have grand children!!! I was just babysitting my 6 month niece and was worried about over doing it. So every is ok you didn't damage anything? Have you've been to see the doctor yet?

About the flu. Dr Mumford (he is in the same office as Dr. C.) explained that vomiting from the flu such as dry heaves does not affect the band, but vomiting from eating too much or too fast can cause harm.

The office will give you info about a web site you can join. I think it's Obesityhelp.com. I looked into it but when I tried to register, it seemed to be more friendly for our friends to the South. I tried to register using Dr Mumford's name as my surgeon, but he wasn't on the list. When I tried to add him to the list, I wasn't successful. Then there were questionnaires about the cost and insurance and none of it pertained to what I experience as a Canadian. Apparently we all paid too much!! That sounds just about right, we pay so much tax that it seems right that we should pay more for healt care!!!

Hi Wheezy,

Thanks, that good to know (about the flu).

Interesting to hear your comments about the cost - I live very close (5 minutes away) to the US border - we live in Windsor, practically a suburb of Detroit - so a procedure in the US was a possibility for me. Better to travel 15 minutes instead of four hours to Toronto. However, for me as a Canadian the cost was $25K+ in US dollars. The US hospitals are constantly (and I mean once every 6-8 weeks) putting ads in the local paper and then holding "free" seminars over here for us Canadians to attend to discuss options re Lap Bands. That's how I first heard about it. Then when I heard the cost, I started seraching the internet. When I found the TLBC and the Surgical Weight-loss centre and one other place in Toronto and checked out the prices I was really surpirised at the lower cost. So was my family physician. He's had a lot of trouble getting OHIP to approve another patient and this may be a possibility for her - it's almost half the price of going to Detroit!

So while we may think we're getting a bit of a bad deal, no kidding, this really is way better than the alternatives (for me anyway) as far as cost goes. I think a big part of the difference in the cost was to do with staying overnight in the hospital after surgery. My family doc is eager to see how it goes for me because I think he will be recommending it to others in his practice.

Taking a day from work every now and then for a fill doesn't seem too bad now that I think about it.

I work midnights. The two nights prior to my surgery were off nites on my schedule. I had the surgery on a Tuesday morning and was sent home on Wednesday morning. Went back to work at 11pm on Friday nite. I really could have gone back on Thursday but I had several fellow employees that wanted to work for me so I didn't have to use vacation time and they insisted I stay home till Friday.

Neenagh you are why too young to have grand children!!! I was just babysitting my 6 month niece and was worried about over doing it. So every is ok you didn't damage anything? Have you've been to see the doctor yet?

Oh lila, I've had the last few weeks from hell! with family stuff! but at least its kept my mind off the band and eating! :)

I may be too young for grandkids, but i'm way too old to be looking after two babies at once! even really good ones, like they are. I'm freakin exhausted. i go to see mumford for my six week checkup oct 12, I really hope that the port didnt flip or anything, but i'll soon find out, right?

Thanks for asking!

Hi, Taymac. I was banded at the TLBC earlier this month on a Thursday. By that Sunday I was still tired and I was hurting but it was from gas, not from the operation itself. I drank apple juice and I never did suffer from Constipation. I actually enjoyed the 3 days I spent in bed after the operation. I read a lot and slept a lot. It was very relaxing. On Monday I got up, had a bath, changed into day clothes and went shopping.

Hi Green.

Thanks for the note - I've been following your adventure through the board in other threads. I think I'll take off the Monday then and just let things follow their own course.