Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confused

Hi there people,

The more i stay on this site the less positive i am about being banded.

My banding date is October 18th but..

Im not sure if all the " adjusting " being banded will be worth it.

You see i,m 6,1, tall ( 185 cm )and was about 260 lbs (120 kg).BMI 36

So i do look big though it,s more of a belly,

BUT since seeing the surgeon i have been on Optifast VLCD and lost 22lbs

(10kg) and by surgery time i will have lost another 22lbs (10 kg) and my goal wieght is about 200lbs (90kg).

So i will almost be there any way.

After banding i will have to change my eating habits , exercise ect so why cant i do that without being banded and avoid all the hassles.And possible complications and disapointments the some of you have.

I have been overwieght for the past 25 years and have yo yoed up and down most years

Am i making sense or just confused. HELP............

Mark

if you feel u can do it with out the band then do it, i thought i could but i could never keep the changes in my life style up and always ended up re gaining the weight i lost, plus more. thats why i made the decision to go 4 the band.

Mark,

I am not trying sound discouraging or mean, however if you are achieving weightloss at the rate you are, and not sure about being banded, I suggest you keep doing what you are doing. With only 60 lbs to lose and already loosing 20, you are right to not want the band. Good luck in your choice.

I think we all felt that way in the beginning. However, the reality was IF we could have done it, we would have done it by now, right? In my case, I knew that even if I lost, 15, 20 or 50 lbs, there was NO way in the world I could do it alone AND keep it off. The band has so far helped me to maintain that loss. Alone, I would have put it back on and more. So, it's a personal journey. If you don't have excessive amounts to lose, it may or may not be worth it to you to go through the surgery and the trials of having an implant inserted. It's a big decision and only one you can make. I wish you luck in whatever you decide!

I've read it here over and over again -- the band is really a tool that helps you lose weight, but losing weight is still hard work. The band is really helpful at helping you maintain the loss.

If you're able to maintain without the band, then don't get it, but losing weight is no good if you just end up putting more than you started with back on!

.....if I had 'only' 60# to loose, I would have attempted to do it without surgery....quote]

I agree that WLS to lose 60 pounds is pretty drastic. If you are self-pay, that's about $150 per pound to reach goal weight.

If you think you have a shot at keeping it off this time, then I don't blame you for making another non-surgical attempt. If it doesn't work out, you can still get the band next year.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

great job losing the weight, but will you plan on being on Optifast forever? probably not, and you have said yourself that you have yo yoed for many years. here is a chance for you to keep it off. pray about it, but i think you should still go for the band.

My 30 pounds overwieght became 80 pounds overweight w/in 5 years. The problem is that many people can lose 40, 50 and even 100 lbs. The big question is, Can you maintain that weight? I can lose 40-45 pounds but I have never lost more than that. I knew that lapband would be the best tool for me to lose my weight and maintain it. That's what I'm hoping for. I feel very positive about getting the weight off more so than I ever did pre-band. I keep saying to myself that I did something so major as LapBand that I'm not about to screw it up. I can't think about the "what ifs". I just know that if I get the most out of my band and lose the weight, I have won the battle. There are risks and complications with almost everything we do in life. As you know, being overweight is a risk in itself. One that I'm not willing to take. The risks of lapband are far less riskier than being obese.

You have to be extremely comfortable with your decision. I expected this to be so life altering as far as my eating habits. So far so good. Of course I haven't had a fill yet. So we'll see what happens after that.

My advice to you is to talk to patients who have had this surgery by your surgeon. There is probably a support group that you can attend. I found once I attended the support group with patients who have had the surgery with my surgeons group, I felt much better about my decsion. Every person in the support group was thrilled and excited with their new life. Some people on this site are on it for good reasons. They may have minor or even major complications and need answers. But look around more. There are many people on this site who are very happy with their decision.

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted.

Mark,

I had surgery yesterday and I went through all of the things you're feeling right up until I showed up at the surgery center.

Like you, I have only about 70 pounds to lose, but I've lost the same 70# too many times to count and each time I gained it back. I'm 45 now and have done some permanent damage to my spine from carrying around the extra weight.

The reason I decided it was the right thing to do wasn't because I couldn't lose the weight (I can no problem), it's that I can't keep it off. I've also watched my husband lose 80 pounds since being banded last March.

If it weren't for my husband, I too would have been very concerned about the "problems" associated with the band from reading the postings here. From knowing how problem-free my husband's jouney has been, I believe that many people have no problems, but the ones who do look for support. This site is a wonderful site for that support and it is also incredible for learning many things related to the band that I would have never known (like hold your breath to get a piece of stuck food to go down!), but I think the postings here are a small minority of the people who are banded.....hope I didn't offend anyone here, since it is just my opinion.

One day out, I feel great...there is some soreness around the port and when I first get up froma chair I kind of walk like a hunched over granny, but nothing that some liquid tylenol doesn't help.

Good luck with your decision,

Lisa

I get banded in 3 days. I've had those questions when I've been losing weight while on the pre-surgical diet. It has to be a decision one is comfortable with. I just know if I lose weight again without this tool, I will probably max my weight out yet again. I've been a yo-yo for 30 years. That's all it got be was depressed, heart disease, pre-diabetes, decreased motivation, and a wardrobe from 34 waist to 50. I'm nervous but hopeful.

If you decide not to band, at least be sure you'll be able to make the life-long changes also. My problem is not losing the weight...I'm an expert on that. It's changing habits, and not caving in to getting that full feeling of a meal well prepared and enjoyed..over and over and over.....

Good Luck,

heybigguy

Congratulations! Wishing you in and out of surgery in a flash and ready to take on world!!

Just be prepared for all the new energy that you're gonna have....if you have a significant other, warn her before hand :-)

I've only been banded six days and I can't sit still...instead of flopping on the couch every night, I've cleaned ever closet in sight...and the list of stuff to do around the house just keeps growing....and since I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy right now my poor husband is getting to come along for the ride!!

Hey Mark,

you are male and you dont have much to lose.I dont think you need the band do you have any comorbidities?

I wouldnt do it you have "only" 40 more pounds to lose.

I love my band but I also have to lose much more weight.

How come that they would give you the band? Here in Czech Republic, Europe you wont get the band if you arent over BMI 40, even if you want to pay for it.

Good luck to you anyhow you decide!

Sorry to jump in here Mark, but since I also had 70# to lose, wanted to give my perspective.

At my doctor's visit, he told me that he believes the starting BMI requirement of 35 is "arbitrary" and he believes that if personal history and family history indicate that the band is appropriate then he is 100% for performing the procedure (He was a cardiac surgeon for 20 years before switching to doing the band full-time. He wants to prevent heart problems rather than having to repair a life-time of damage)

My aunt died at 45 of a heart attack (when she died, she weighed the same as me pre-band), my mom had a heart attack at 62, and all of my dad's side of the family are obese and/or diabetic. I've been on the heavy side all my life and while I've been a normal weight off and on it has never lasted. I just turned 45, have mild sleep apnea and have back and knee issues.

I had surgery six days ago, pre-op and post-op have lost 16 pounds.....and I'm sooooooo sick of liquids!! :-) but regardless of the monotony of the phase that I'm in right now, I look forward to being one of the few in my family to dodge the bad health bullet.

Sorry for the long response, but I'm passionate about this topic!!

Best of luck to you Mark. Deciding to get the band is a personal decision. I wish I had the opportunity to do something like this when I had less weight to lose instead of getting to the "critical" point.

I'm sure, even with the adjustments and frusterations you may have, you'll be happy with your results and the fact that you now have this tool to help you keep the weight off permanently.