Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something bit me...

...several days ago, and it's now getting so sore and swollen I'm getting worried. I first noticed it last Sunday and thought it was a mosquito bite, of which I always have several at the end of the weekend. I hadn't noticed getting bitten at all. Two or three days later, I realized it wasn't going away but getting larger. The skin doesn't itch, and the central area is now about the size of a quarter.

Yesterday I called my health insurance carrier's 24-hour nurse line, to see if they thought I needed to go to the doctor. I mean, if my doc would just look at it and say wow that looks bad but it's going to go away on its own, I figured I should save the $20. The nurse and I decided I wasn't having an allergic reaction, since that would have come on suddenly and been severe, but I'm not convinced there isn't something unpleasant going on.

The whole area (it's on my hipbone) is red, angry, swollen, and consistently painful even if I don't move it or hit it. The focal point is now turning a dull purple color, whereas earlier in the week it was red. The irritation around it has been spreading, and is now about the size of my hand, with my fingers straight but together.

Someone suggested it might be a spider bite. So what do you all think? Am I dying? I have no other symptoms except that tonight I'm tired and have a headache, but I think that may just be from the constant pain.

I can see my doctor in the morning, but if there's nothing to be done but wait for it to pass I don't want to waste the time and money. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Sounds like a spider bite to me. I would be mindful of your symptoms and if they worsen I would go to the ER and have someone take a look at it. Better to spend the $20 than regret it later.

Normally I would say to put cold or either warm compresses on it but without knowing what caused the problem to begin with I hesitate suggesting that. You could take some Benadryl and that might help with the reaction you are seeing. I would also suggest some Advil or something like that but with our situation of being banded that can get dicey sometimes. So use your own judgment on that. IT would help with the pain though at least somewhat. Advil would help with the headache as well.

Is the tiredness NEW or do you think it is just from having a busy day?

Is the tiredness more intense that usual?

Is there anything different about the headache opposed to others you have had in the past?

Hi Penni,

I don't really think I'm having any systemic symptoms. The last week of the month is always our busiest at work, and the tiredness is most likely related to that. And being in pain always takes a lot out of me. Same with the headache--it's very low-grade, and feels normal.

Is it common to not be aware of a spider's bite when it happens? And what kind of spider does this? Remember, I live in suburban New Jersey. It's not like it could have been a tunnel web spider or anything exotic like that. It was under my clothes so this must have been a very small spider!

Alexandra, GET TO THE DOCTOR!!! I will send you the $20 - honest.

A guy on my team had his arm WRAPPED and in a sling from a spider bite - it had already been wrapped for over a week when I saw him.

Depending on the type of spider, this could be a very big deal.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE go have this taken care of!!

Promise?

I think it is common to get bitten and not notice - probably while you were sleeping. Every once in a while I'll wake up with a rash of bites, but they're just itchy.

Please go to the doc - if it's nothing, you can blame wasting their time on me. I would take it as a personal favor.

Gee, thanks for the words of comfort, Donali! :D :D

Naturally I'm a little concerned, but can it really take five days for a bad bite of the type your friend had to start causing concern? It's been progressing very slowly, so I figured I was safe from anything serious--going on the possibly false assumption that a serious problem would have manifested itself earlier.

Maybe it was progressing slowly so a person WOULD HAVE TIME TO GET TO THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Could have been a Brown Recluse. They love dark places. I agree with Donali I would go get it looked at. I will chip in for the cost as well.

Oh, you'll love this. Maybe it was one of those insects that bites and lays an egg in there, which hatches and eats the surrounding flesh.

I saw this on TV, I'm not making it up. Although I think the man and woman had been traveling outside of the U.S. Wish I could remember what kind of bug that was.

Have I suggested that you go to the doc yet? :D

Originally posted by donali

Oh, you'll love this. Maybe it was one of those insects that bites and lays an egg in there, which hatches and eats the surrounding flesh.

You know, this is exactly what my brother said. I just luurrrve you guys!! :D

Can I go to the doctor in the morning? They have Saturday hours. I promise I'll go, and if they dig out little babies I'll send one to you, ok? :D

Man, how am I going to sleep tonight?? :sick And WHY did I click that link???

Originally posted by donali

If that's what it is, you should be able to feel is squirming soon... lol

Okay, I'll let you wait until tomorrow. If it's not better in the morning, you are honor bound to go in and have them look at it.

:D