Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I Have Gained Weight After 1 Year

This is the first time I have had a bump in the road after VSG surgery. I lost weight, didn't sweat the stall, etc. and I have had a lot of success. My weight loss stopped at about 9 months. The doctor said it was to be expected because I was so close to my goal weight. He seemed pleased. This summer I stopped weighing myself because I was on vacation and away from my scale. Then I was afraid to look. When I finally looked I realized I gained about 10 pounds. I am so disappointed in myself. I think I developed some bad habits that don't work when you are at a healthy BMI. For example, I have always eaten a large amount of cheese, not lowfat. It was fine as I was losing weight but I think it may be too fattening now. I have retained most of my good habits, regularly walking, mostly Protein, etc. But now I find that foods I was avoiding can be consumed, like bread or chips. Although I don't often eat it, I have had it on occasion. Which I never while I was losing weight. I am trying to get back on the protein only wagon and lessening my cheese intake but I am pretty discouraged that I gained so much weight back so fast. Prior to surgery I wouldn't gain that much weight so quickly. I am so freaked out that I will return to my old ways. It has happened to others with VSG surgery where they have gained a significant amount of weight back, I have witnessed it with friends who have had the surgery. I want this to work. I have been such a good patient prior to this and was so proud of my progress. Now I understand the whole "Honeymoon" phase. It's over and I am so scared! I feel like I did prior to surgery when I was on a diet. Anxious, full of self hate and obessing on dieting. Ugh! I hoped this would not happen to me! I hope there is someone out there who got through a setback like this. I am hoping to diet and exercise my way through this, but I won't go back to shakes. They make me gag.

I am only 9 months out so I may not be of veteran help. It seems like you know your bad habits. Try holding yourself accountable through some sort of fitness app. It may uncover how the seemingly 'occasional carbs' can add up.

You're not bad at this, just off track. You have done phenomenal so far. Success is in your corner, the app will hold you accountable.

The sleeve is your tool, just utilize it. Best wishes.

Do a 5 day pouch test to maybe get you going in the right direction, and exercise! I have heard that has helped others on here

My understanding is that most people will gain 10-12 lbs once they get to their goal and change the dieting behaviors a bit....seems like you got close to your goal and added some normal things in....but a bit too soon. I'd say just cut the carbs, increase some activity, recommit to weighing yourself daily--to watch for creep-ups, works for me--and counting your calories, again. You can do it.

I'd like to get 10-12...maybe 15 lbs below my ideal weight...so when I gain the 10 lbs that are normal, back, I will be right at my ideal planned weight.

Don't look back. Before you probably didn't gain this fast because you we're maintaining a larger weight... All you can do is try to go back to a healthier outlook. Add more exercise in to mix it up.

I have to thank you for sharing and being so honest. Everything you shared are things that I have worried about facing in the near future. One of the things that I added as a tool was to join Overeaters Anonymous. It has helped me to recognize my triggers and make better decisions when presented with bad choices/temptations. Recently, I had a plateau that was more about my eating than my body adjusting. Going back to OA strategies helped me get back on track and I dropped five pounds this week. I know it's not for everyone, but it's been great for me. Good luck to you.

So it sounds as if you now need to go on a "diet" and just be very disciplined until you make it back to where you are comfortable. I too am a little over a year out and I know exactly what you mean about have a chip here and there. I can eat anything I want at this point and that is so tempting sometimes! So far the best tool for me is weighing myself daily... it is just a way of reminding myself where I am and what i need to do to stay there. Good luck!

similar thing happened to me after 1 year, I gained 7 pounds back, freaked out, cut back lost them all plus a few. So I am back to my low weight. I weigh myself at least twice per week. I will not gain my weight back. Its not an option, I happy to report "trying" to cut back post-sleeve is so much easier post op. Get those 10 pounds off, you know how... :-)

This is so scary for me too. I know that I am not always disciplined and sometimes eat things I don't need to eat. I believe that we have to make this our journey to carefully monitor our weight and eat Protein first, and more importantly, now I'm looking at keeping my Proteins low fat and my meats lean cuts, small portion sizes. This is a problem because I love nuts. We can do this!

Get back on track with a fitness app.

exercise

do LilMissDiva's "The Basic Bootcamp" to get over the sweets cravings.

:)

I plan to forever weigh. measure and portion my food. It's so used to it now and it's kind of fun - like a puzzle. I think the full-fat cheese in moderation is fine. What I will always stay away from is rice, Pasta, white flour, etc. Once in a great while or when I hike for more than 5 miles I will let myself have bread, potato or Pasta, but they have to have a decent Protein level. I will get whole wheat rustic bread, whole wheat or Dreamfield pasta or a potato with a Greek yogurt topping mixed with garlic and herbs.

Most days I have a few crackers, but then again I am picky about which. They have to be relatively low carb and high Protein like Trader Joe's Raisin Rosemary Crisps.

I heard the "everything in moderation" spiel, but it doesn't work for me. There are certain things I just never will go back to. They are usually the things with no nutritional value like white rice, snack chips, cakes, pies and pastries.

I can make lower carb, no sugar added Desserts that are killer. I thought that just once I could have a piece of boysenberry pie. I looked at the calories for one small slice and it was 590!!!! I only eat 750 a DAY. With some things I have to say that I won't go there.

Nuts. Yeah. I can easily eat too many. In fact I almost binged on pistachios last night. They are good for you, but pack in a huge amount of calories. I put them back a made a bit of popcorn. Thank God for popcorn.

Nuts are not evil! They have lots of Protein and Fiber. I have 28 grams of unsalted almonds and 30 grams of unsalted peanuts every day. They add significantly to my 100 grams of daily protein and have more fiber than anything else I eat.

Nuts are not evil! They have lots of Protein and fiber. I have 28 grams of unsalted almonds and 30 grams of unsalted peanuts every day. They add significantly to my 100 grams of daily Protein and have more fiber than anything else I eat.

Ding ding. Door prize. For me nuts were never a problem ,eating the whole can, bag, or jar was!! I uses to laugh at those 90 calorie bags now I'm counting almonds!

Thank you all so much for your advice and thoughtful opinons. I feel better having admitted my problems on here. It is tough to face the gain because I don't want to go back to where I was. Thanks for the encouragement. It has only been three days but I am down two pounds! I do think weighing myself regularly is key so I don't get this surprise again. That was a habit I had been following before my long summer vacation which brought on the gain. I am stepping up my exercise and going back to the eating habits that worked. Trying to keep the cheese in moderation. Nuts too! The nutritionist at our support group meeting said nuts are fine but only in moderation (like the cheese). If I need to nibble I guess it should be veggies. I truly do appreciate your help. Thanks so much. You have all helped me calm down and focus.