Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Sara and I have finally decided to share my VSG story. I had the VSG procedure on 12/28/2011 and I have my 9 month post op check up next week. I was 309lbs when I went to have a consultation appointment with my surgeon back in September 2011. I always considered myself as healthy except for my weight because I didn't have any comorbideties.

What really got me wanting to do something about my weight was when my husband was in a motorcycle accident (June 2011) and he was diagnosed with diabetes. While in the hospital and dealing with his diagnosis, he turned to me and said "if any one should have diabetes, it should be you, not me". He's 6'1" and weighs about 225 and I am 5'4" and I weighed 309. That comment he made was the final straw. I was finally going to do something about my weight and knew surgery was my only option because I had tried to do it on my own so many times before and failed.

I waited until he was all healed up from his accident and on my birthday (September 1) I called Dr Castro's office and set up the appointment that would ultimately change my life forever. I was was very fortunate to have such great insurance because I only had to do 3 month nutrition class before they would approve my surgery. The dr did have me also do a psychiatric evaluation, but that was all I had to do.

A week before I finished the 3 month nutrition class, my dr's office went ahead and submitted my case to my insurance and that next week they had the approval and I had my surgery date and had to go in the next day for the pre op appointment and start my pre op liquid diet.

I remember the day of the surgery like it was yesterday. I was so scared because I had never had any surgeries before and I have 4 boys and was so worried that something would go wrong and they would be left without a mother. I have never had any broken bones or anything. The dr and his team came and talked to me and got me to relax and I don't remember much after getting in the OR and them getting me situated on the operating table.

I was up and walking just 4 hours after surgery and have been moving ever since. I've lost a total of 135 lbs and my current weight is 174 lbs. I've gone from a size 26/28 to a 10/12 in just 9 short months. It has been such an amazing journey and I'm so proud of how far I've come and all the work I have done. For once in my life, I finally have some self esteem and my life is changing everyday for the better. I just got a promotion at work which has allowed me to finally afford to hire a lawyer so I can finally file for a divorce. I won't go into a lot of details, but the marriage has been very bad for a long time.

I always stayed because I never thought I could do any better. Now I finally believe I deserve to be treated better and I actually love myself enough to finally let go of all the bad stuff and do what's best for me and my boys.

I'm excited to see where I'll be at my 1 year anniversary (which is only 3 months away). I only have 34lbs.to go to reach my goal weight. The surgery saved my life in more than just my weight. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself! Sorry for the long story and thank you for taking the time to read it!

Thank you for sharing your story!! It is very inspiring!!

Wow. Just, wow! I'm so happy you're in a place you WANT to be. Congratulations on the weight loss, promotion, and the new confidence. You deserve it. Job well done!

You go girl!!!! Great story and best of luck with the victorious path you generated the strength to take !!!!! :D

Hello, my name is Sara and I have finally decided to share my VSG story. I had the VSG procedure on 12/28/2011 and I have my 9 month post op check up next week. I was 309lbs when I went to have a consultation appointment with my surgeon back in September 2011. I always considered myself as healthy except for my weight because I didn't have any comorbideties.

What really got me wanting to do something about my weight was when my husband was in a motorcycle accident (June 2011) and he was diagnosed with diabetes. While in the hospital and dealing with his diagnosis, he turned to me and said "if any one should have diabetes, it should be you, not me". He's 6'1" and weighs about 225 and I am 5'4" and I weighed 309. That comment he made was the final straw. I was finally going to do something about my weight and knew surgery was my only option because I had tried to do it on my own so many times before and failed.

I waited until he was all healed up from his accident and on my birthday (September 1) I called Dr Castro's office and set up the appointment that would ultimately change my life forever. I was was very fortunate to have such great insurance because I only had to do 3 month nutrition class before they would approve my surgery. The dr did have me also do a psychiatric evaluation, but that was all I had to do.

A week before I finished the 3 month nutrition class, my dr's office went ahead and submitted my case to my insurance and that next week they had the approval and I had my surgery date and had to go in the next day for the pre op appointment and start my pre op liquid diet.

I remember the day of the surgery like it was yesterday. I was so scared because I had never had any surgeries before and I have 4 boys and was so worried that something would go wrong and they would be left without a mother. I have never had any broken bones or anything. The dr and his team came and talked to me and got me to relax and I don't remember much after getting in the OR and them getting me situated on the operating table.

I was up and walking just 4 hours after surgery and have been moving ever since. I've lost a total of 135 lbs and my current weight is 174 lbs. I've gone from a size 26/28 to a 10/12 in just 9 short months. It has been such an amazing journey and I'm so proud of how far I've come and all the work I have done. For once in my life, I finally have some self esteem and my life is changing everyday for the better. I just got a promotion at work which has allowed me to finally afford to hire a lawyer so I can finally file for a divorce. I won't go into a lot of details, but the marriage has been very bad for a long time.

I always stayed because I never thought I could do any better. Now I finally believe I deserve to be treated better and I actually love myself enough to finally let go of all the bad stuff and do what's best for me and my boys.

I'm excited to see where I'll be at my 1 year anniversary (which is only 3 months away). I only have 34lbs.to go to reach my goal weight. The surgery saved my life in more than just my weight. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself! Sorry for the long story and thank you for taking the time to read it!

WOW!! What a great story... Good for you I was just sleeved on Sept 17th. I have always been down on myself about my weight. My husband said to me one day if you dont like something you have to change it. Thoughs words have stuck with me throughout this journey. I love my husband dearly but i had gotten to the point that i was embrassed to sleep with him (sex i mean). I always made a excuse and said i was tired because i am shame of my body. My husband is the best he has been with me through the struggle and loves me so much. I LOVE HIM TOO. but in order to love my family the way i should i have to love myself. Loosing the weight is going to be great!! I know that life with my family is going to change because my excuse will no longer be "I am Tired"....

What a great journey you have taken, thank you so much for sharing it with us. To have lost so much in 9months without the real good support of a husband, and four boys to take care of is fantastic. Your on your way to achieving anything you want in this life:). I wish you nothing but great things!

Congratulations on your success! I love your story! I'm also glad that you found your inner strength and know that you can take control of your life and that you deserve better!

Thank you all so much for your positive thoughts and words of encouragement! You all have no idea how much it means to me. I really haven't had much support through this whole process other than a couple of friends and a couple of coworkers. None of my family (husband, mom, dad, sister and grandparents) or my inlaw family agreed with my decision to have the surgery. They all thought I was being selfish and spending money I didn't need to spend on an "elective" surgery. I'm the only one who works and my soon-to-be-exhusband gets disability, so they all thought that I should spend the money on other things, but I was tired of always putting myself last all of the time. The time had come for me finally do something for myself. Thank you all again for your support! It means the world to me to know that people who don't even know me care so much! <3

Wow - what a success story! It sounds like the sleeve has helped you change your life in many ways. Congratulations on all of your hard work.

I love reading such great stores of success! Be proud of your accomplishments and there will be no stopping you! I must say that comment your husband made to you about you being the one that should have diabetes was sickening to me. What horrible, hurtful words. I am so happy you have been able to lose the weight, build your confidence, and realize that you deserve better! Keep going!

Hello' date=' my name is Sara and I have finally decided to share my VSG story. I had the VSG procedure on 12/28/2011 and I have my 9 month post op check up next week. I was 309lbs when I went to have a consultation appointment with my surgeon back in September 2011. I always considered myself as healthy except for my weight because I didn't have any comorbideties.

I'm excited to see where I'll be at my 1 year anniversary (which is only 3 months away). I only have 34lbs.to go to reach my goal weight. The surgery saved my life in more than just my weight. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself! Sorry for the long story and thank you for taking the time to read it![/quote']

My surgery is Tuesday n I feel sooo inspired now!!! Thanx

Thank you Sara for sharing your story. You are truly an inspiration to me. Congratulations on your success and most importantly on gaining confidence!! Is your dr the Dr. Castro from NBS?

Thank you Sara for sharing your story. You are truly an inspiration to me. Congratulations on your success and most importantly on gaining confidence!! Is your dr the Dr. Castro from NBS?

Thank you! Yes, that's him. Are you a patient with him as well?