Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh, Ok, Well That Isn't Dumping Then!

Interestingly, have been having a few issues more recently, four Vitamin deficiencies (not great, but manageable), plus random episodes of severe shaking, sweating, disorientation etc etc.

I was advised that this was almost certainly 'late dumping syndrome', so have really tried to get back on track, and keep everything in check, however it has continued to happen - tonight i got the usual symptoms, and after borrowing a blood sugar monitor ( presuming I was bingeing inadvertently) discovered that this 'dumping syndrome' was a blood sugar level of 2 - ooops!

I understand that this is essentially hypoglycaemic, although I have no idea what this means in a wider sense, and I am now really confused, because I am not depriving myself, although something appears to be out of whack - has anyone else has this, and do you have any good advice please?

Thanks xx

That meter did not work or you did not do it right. I your blood sugar was 2 you would be in a coma. Try again.

Have you tried eating watermelon and cantaloupe. Look them up on the net.

As a nurse, I can tell you that a blood sugar of 2 isn't possible if you're still conscious. :) You should try again so you know for sure what you are dealing with. Hope you feel better soon!

Lauren

Actually, I'm also a nurse and have had patients dip as low as 1.7 and be perfectly conscious..-if ur there for 4 minutes or longer the risk of coma is there..

I still believe she should re-check it. She asked for advice, and that is mine.

Thanks for the responses folks,

The episode passed before I saw the replies, and I am back up to 4.3 this morning, I tested on two different monitors and both gave that reading, so I guess that at least is indicative that my own monitor isn't too far out.

As I said earlier, these episodes have been happening on and off for a while, but I was told it was dumping. Last night's wasn't the worst incidence by far (have had it last over an hour with shaking, sweating blurred vision and full body pins and needles at least a couple of times), but I have a less than helpful GP, and so I am wondering really if this is something I just have to keep an eye on, and be careful to avoid, or if it is something I should take back to the doctor?

Thanks again

I'm sorry you're going thru this with limited help. It seems like it is very serious. That reading is extremely dangerously low. Please consult with someone at your drs office. Something this serious could be devastating if not taken care of, wishing you the best!!

At my last support group meeting, the nurse who runs it said that while sleeve patients don't generally experience dumping syndrome, we do get delayed hypoglycemia about 2 hours after eating too many carbs. There are some websites that call this late dumping. The nurse said it can be frustrating because it comes on late and you've not been eating.

My advice you be to start a food journal, if you don't already, and make sure that you always take carbs with some Protein.

Thanks again folks, think it is almost certainly a trip to the Gp after the bank holiday, as my glucose has gone from 2 last night, to 4.3 this morning, a Protein heavy day followed, but started to get the shakes about 8pm so checked again, and blood sugar was 3.3 mmol, I then ate some toast to carb load, and within an hour it was up to 9.3. It is now 11.30 and about 1/2 an hour ago the shakes crept back in, so I checked again, and I am back down to 2.9.

I have spent 19 months low carb-ing and am struggling to maintain at the moment, so am not keen to go back to a carb heavy diet as I know my weight will suff as a consequence, but at the same time I don't want to risk my health :(

Well, I just saw that you are not in the US and that your glucose is resulted as mmol. That is far different than mg/dl that I am used to seeing! When you said it was 2, I thought you meant it was in mg/dl and I wondered how you were still talking, lol! It is still low, but not nearly as low as I thought you were talking about. Glad to hear you are following up with your doc and I hope you feel better soon!