Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Depressed For Surgery... What?

sorry to hear that, I know for me (& plenty of others) weight issues cause depression!! Losing weight & becomming healthy are only going to help with your depression... try another doctor!! best wishes xx

That has got to be tough! But I have to agree with other posters, this surgery is not for everyone, it is a very tough journey and can be extremely stressful. The psych eval is meant to see if you can handle the journey and be able to commit 100%. I recently graduated with a BA in Psychology, and I don't pretend to know what tests were used for your eval, or anything about you or the doctor, however, if he/she felt you weren't ready you have to take that for what it is. And go get that second opinion!! You may be ready, but he/she just didn't see it.

Just thought I would mention bariatric patients have a much higher suicide rate. Not pre op. but post op.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68R5FM20100928?irpc=932

http://www.eatingdisordersreview.com/nl/nl_edr_22_1_3.html

Might be worth reading.

Gustavo, you say the surgery isn't for everyone... how so? Is it that it's mentally tough? I'm sure it is but that is what your suport system is for right? Plus, it seems like everyone keeps saying it gets better after a couple of months.

Oh, it does get better over time. BUT, the first 4 weeks post-surgery were probably the longest 4 weeks of my life (except maybe for boot camp, but that was a long long time ago).

Yes, a support system is very important. But they're not the final answer. I had an outstanding support system, but they didn't ultimately decide what went into my mouth, how much walking I did on any particular day, how much anxiety I felt, what food cravings I had etc. They helped, but in the end it was all up to me.

Unless your support system is going to act like a dungeon master, you need to be able to make these choices for yourself and be able to deal with the mental obstacles as they come whether your supports system is there or not.

A support system makes it easier, but you can't expect that they're going to do all the work for you. If you do, then no, you're probably not ready.

Sometimes it's the time in between sessions with a psychologist that let you think through what they have said and see if it may apply in some areas. Maybe if you see them again then you can plan how you respond to his opinion. Are you depressed, is it under control, could you become oppositional to some advice later on the track that might hurt your recovery? Just reevaluate again taking into account you can try and fix any of these now with your trusted psychiatrist... Always good to get a second opinion for these reasons :)

Also, some psychologists prefer no drugs, as talking is the cure... But some psychiatrists don't really practice talking, as drugs are the cure... Either way after one session neither is going to provide a truly reliable opinion regarding your mental health...

If the drugs are working (in your opinion) then stay on them, if you could use a boost in some areas then maybe some extra talk therapy will compliment your current medications, or if you think the drugs aren't working then you can discuss with your psychiatrist a plan for coming down and a plan in case you do feel bad post-op :)

Anyway, good luck- be patient because your health is at stake and hopefully that is the doctors main concern, and be well!!!

Sending pos vibes your way!!!

But- take advice with a grain of salt :)