Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Most Embarrassing Fat Moment....

I am so embarrassed to share with people in my face-to-face life. I figured I was safe to share here.

I have had sudden onset of potentially seizures (other symptoms as well) and I saw a neurologist. The doctor ordered an EEG and an MRI. I have completed the EEG and I went to my early morning MRI. I can not have the MRI because I DO NOT fit into the machine!!! Talk about EMBARRASSING! I

I am so embarrassed and ashamed. Not to mention SCARED out of my mind about what potential results could be. I was trying to not worry, until I had a reason. Then I was told they are using contrast to identify tumors or lesions on my brain!

Despite this embarrassment I found an imaging location that has an oval MRI machine rather than a circle.

I hope to have pleasant results and get on with my life and weight loss surgery!!! At the moment I feel like I could (and probably should) break down in tears (maybe I would feel better).

Thank you for listening. Am I alone in this NOT fitting into an MRI machine? I am 5'5" 302lbs.

Best,

Sannah

Yes I work at a hospital, don't worry it is quite common. As a matter of fact when patients call to make the appointments they are asked about their weight, if they weigh over (300??) lbs they are sent to an open MRI which is not so constricting.

Hello,

They asked my weight when I scheduled. I wonder why this hospital doesn't have the same procedure! It would have saved me a lot of embarrassment. Even the other location which I am going to tomorrow does not have an open MRI. Hmm..

Thank you for sharing an inside perspective. I am thankful for this.

Sannah

Yesterday at work I heard one of my patients (who forgot my name) describing me as the "really tall, really fat one" to my colleague. Ugh!

How inconsiderate! I am sorry to hear! How miserable this must have felt. I do not understand why people are so insensitive!!

Ugh... I do not know if you are sleeved yet. Hopefully we'll both be sleeved soon and placing our skinny rears on the losers bench!!!! Then we will not have to encounter such ridiculousness!

Not sleeved yet! My surgery is scheduled for 9/4. Usually people's comments don't bother me too much, but I think I was feeling more sensitive than usual yesterday. Thanks for your support and encouragement!!

I had a drinks event for my immediate team, all there were my staff and their partners. On the balcony at the hotel we were in I sat on a wooden outdoor chair and it collapsed under me. I dropped my glass of wine all over myself as my butt hit the floor. I was mortified. One of my team immediately came to help me up, apologising and saying he had noticed a crack in the chair and had meant to get it removed but had forgotten to. I knew he was lying and was doing so to make me feel better and while I really appreciated it, inside I was dying.

It was earlier this year and a turning point for me.

My mother n law when talking about me call me "big girl" and they laugh as if it is amusing. N then when I go to family gatherings on their side I just never eat. I really hate when other large ppl look at you n tell u that you are gaining weight. When u know ur the same size u were the last time you seen them, not to mention ur still not there size. So I just smile go to my car go home,n cry all night. Why are we so insensitive to each other..

Hi all, I told my co workers I was on a sugar free diet to lose weight before surgery. My job has a snack closet for clients and staff, so I got a bag of cracks from the closet to snack on. Before I got back to my desk, my supervisor said " what do you have in your hand I thought you was eating no sugar". I was do embrassed I'm so looking forward to my sleeve. Not myself anymore :(

I work as a missionary in Latin America, it is common for people to call fat people (or even just chubby people) gordito which means fatty really. That took me a long time to let it roll off when someone said it. Well I ran into a young lady that I used to teach in an English class. She hugged me tight, rubbed my belly and congratulated me on my pregnancy in front of a large group of people. I was mortified.

A lady asked me when my baby was due. I said "at 4:00 when the school bus comes and drops her off"

Strangely....OMG i almost pissed myself laughing when i read your post!!! Quick thinking...

i saw a friend i have not seen since before surgery (she doesn't know about surgery)... she gives me a hug, holds me a arms length away and says... "something is different about you"... (i am positive she is going to say something about my weight loss... i have lost 50 lbs) ... she says: "i know what it is, you have a new haircut".... i felt so deflated ... my hair is just the same... but by then i was so dumbfounded i said "yea, you like it?".... why do i look to others for positive strokes?...

Sannah don't feel defeated, you will get the MRI done and then your sleeve! You are taking the steps to take care of YOU! & your steps will pay off... ((saving you a spot on the losers bench))

I had the same problem with an MRI machine. Two years ago I had a tumor in my middle finger and it developed an infection. They admitted me into the hospital for surgery. That morning they wanted to take me down for a presurgery MRI, but they said I was over the weight limit. I said "MY HAND???"

It took them a while to figure that out.

To make matters worse, the nurse wanted me to strip down to nothing but a hospital gown for the MRI, then ride like that in a wheelchair across the hospital, down the elevator, and to the imaging center. Again....it was just my hand. I said "Lady, what do you think that gown is gonna cover up? I'm 6'1", 400lbs. I could use it as a dew rag maybe. "

Long story short. I wore my basketball shorts and tshirt, and they just stuck my arm into the machine and MRI'd the hand. 2 hours of fuss, and 10 minutes to do the dang MRI.

Thank God the Bariatric unit at the hospital where I had my sleeve had gowns designed to fit big people. That thing was like a 4 man tent. :)

something similar happened to me.. i was hospitalized for liver failure (pharmaceutical error, not mine or the doctor's).. basically i was on percocet for a leg cramp that wouldn't go away.. and i almost died, because of acetaminophen poisoning.. which is the active ingredient in tylenol as well... anyway.. no one could figure out what was wrong with my leg, so they wanted to have an mri done.. i was 420 lb at the time & am EXTREMELY claustrophobic.. ended up freaking out before the (very rude guy) managed to squish me all the way into the machine... and boy was he trying... it was embarrassing, and the guy being rude didn't help matters, either... so i feel for you. :/ sorry you had to go through that. :/

Strangely....OMG i almost pissed myself laughing when i read your post!!! Quick thinking...

i saw a friend i have not seen since before surgery (she doesn't know about surgery)... she gives me a hug, holds me a arms length away and says... "something is different about you"... (i am positive she is going to say something about my weight loss... i have lost 50 lbs) ... she says: "i know what it is, you have a new haircut".... i felt so deflated ... my hair is just the same... but by then i was so dumbfounded i said "yea, you like it?".... why do i look to others for positive strokes?...

Sannah don't feel defeated, you will get the MRI done and then your sleeve! You are taking the steps to take care of YOU! & your steps will pay off... ((saving you a spot on the losers bench))

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in response! For some reason my phone is not notifying me of replies!

Sorry your friend didn't recognize the changes!You've really worked hard and lost 50lbs! It feels good when people recognize all your efforts! Sorry she didn't!!!

I schedule an open MRI! I went to the appointment feeling so great! Third day in a row, third machine! I was determined I was going to be successful! I get into the room and it was a regular machine!!! BOLOGNA!!! I am feeling so defeated!! The universe is letting me know I do not need the MRI right now.