Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diagnosed as diabetic---NOW WHAT?

Was anyone else here diagnosed pre-op?? Is this going to slow things down? I'm worried they are going to demand I'm medicated for a few months before they'll do the surgery.

Should I worry? :think

Hi Derbygirl,

I wouldnt think so. One of the reasons why you need the surgery is because you are diabetic. Weight loss usually will help put the problem in remission if you lose enough. I was diagnosed with hyperinsulinemia which is prediabetes. I am insulin resistant and the problems associated have disappeared since i have lost the weight. Don't worry Diabetes is controllable and it is a comorbidity associated with obesity. Many of us here have the operation to help us resolve the need for meds.

Babs in TX

Doctors are used to operating on diabetics all the time. Some have it under control and others don't. The band should halp get things under great control from the word go and so I shouldn't worry too much.

As for having diabetes...it can feel scary at first but just take it one day at a time. Check your levels, eat as well as you can and keep your health checks-eyes etc up to date and you'll do fine.

Best wishes.

I have been diabetic for over twenty years and was poorly-controlled prior to my lapband surgery. Getting my diabetes under control was one of the main indications for surgery, as losing weight helps manage things a great deal. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions!

I was told 3 days before surgery that I had diabetes but they did the surgery and told me that it would likely resolve itself. I was banded on August 21, 2006. and am down 32 lbs. :clap2: I feel great. I am getting ready to go in and get a physical and get all my blood work done so hopefully I will see an improvement....

you have probably been diabetic without knowing for a while...i was diabetic for quite a few years before being diagnosed--had xign that i chose to ignore--and a huge family history. one of the reasons i had the lapband is that i could no longer control my sugar level and the doc wanted to put me on 4 shots a day....i had a average of 300 before surgery--had an insulin shot just before surgery--sugar level was within normal the day of surgery and has been between 98 and 110 since the day of surgery on 6/13/06....while i will never be without diabetes--it is definately under very good control with this lifestyle change ,,just sorry i did not do it sooner...almost 60 years old and never have had a thin day in my adult life...down 40 lbs...and happy happy happy.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches