Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with some questions

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I am a 25 year old female and I weigh just over 300lbs. I have tried many diets including Atkins and Weight Watchers. Like many others here, I have been overweight my entire life. It seems that one of the biggest regrets of others is not having this surgery sooner. I am wasting the best years of my life right now by being overweight. I am seriously considering the lap band. I have a few questions that hopefully someone will answer.

First, I am worried about the amount of fluids a person can drink. When I excersise, I tend to drink ALOT of Water. Can a person become easliy dehydrated because they are restricted from drinking alot of Fluid at once?

The second question I have is about throwing up. I understand that throwing up can cause band slippage. But what happens when a person has the flu or gets food poisoning? There may be times when a person will throw up alot. How much can the lap band handle?

I have read on alot of sites about how the lap band is a great tool to lose weight. I also have read that people have them removed. In general, is the lap band a temporary solution? Is it meant to help you lose most of your excess weight and then removed? How long do people usually keep the band in?

And finally, because I am 25, I expect to be very active once I lose my weight. With gastric bypass, hernias are a problem and people are not supposed to lift heavy things. Are there physical restrictions to people with the lap band? Can I do sit-ups and ab-crunches without disrupting the band?

I really appreciate the time people will spend responding to me. This board has already been really informative. I am on the verge of taking the step towards surgery. I am so glad to know that if I do, there are many friends out there that have already been down that path. :rolleyes: Trisha

Hi newbie! Congratulations on considering the lap band as a way to support your weight loss dreams.

Your questions about exercise and hydration, as well as situps and crunches can best be answered if you post them in the Exercise Forum or the General or Support Forums. Not many people look at this forum on a regular basis.

My band has only been in since Aug.28 and I am learning as I go. As far as vomiting goes, I have gathered that a large part of the potential risk in vomiting comes in the post operative period before the area is healed and the band is fully seated. In fact, my doctor had me wear an anti-nausea patch to minimize throwing up immediately post surgery. They last for three days and I borrowed another one from my husband for an additional three days when I discovered that the smell of food cooking made me terribly nauseous. Never did throw up though! Others have mentioned having the flu after the post op period and experiencing no difficulties.

Do not consider the lap band a temporary solution. It is meant to be left in without removal even after goal weight is achieved. Most of us would probably gain all the weight plus more back if our stomachs returned to full size. The only time removal is considered is when there is a serious complication and removal is the choice of last resort. The magic of the band is its adjustablity -- it can be set to maximize your weight loss when you are in that stage and adjusted as needed. If you have a serious illness or pregnancy, the fill can be removed to allow more normal eating.

I've provided a link to a helpful web site with great information about the lap band which should answer some questions for you. I would also recommend attending an information seminar about the lap band surgery. Attending does not obligate you to the surgery or to that surgeon. During my seminar the doctor went out of his way to give the pros and cons of both lap band and gastric bypass so that we could make the most informed choice possible. I really appreciated the validation of my reasons for choosing lap band, and I equally appreciated being very sure why I did not feel that the gastric bypass was an option for me.

So take the time you need to feel good about this big decision, but also don't dither endlessly or you really will be one of those people who regrets not having done it sooner! :- )

http://www.lapbandsolutions.com/94829E_LB_Patient_Book.pdf

Take care of yourself and keep posting. We are all in this together.

Can a person become easliy dehydrated because they are restricted from drinking alot of Fluid at once? Two part answer. Part 1: I can still chug. Only once has drinking liquid ever bothered me, and it was when I was stuck - stupid me thought a drink might help. Part 2: "Drinking a lot at once" isn't really a good solution to avoiding dehydration, banded or not. Constatn hydration is a better way to go. If you go through with the surgery, your dietician or surgeon SHOULD at some point advise that you always keep a bottle of Water handy. Keep in in the car, carry one with you, etc. so that if needed you can constantly sip.

The second question I have is about throwing up. I understand that throwing up can cause band slippage. But what happens when a person has the flu or gets food poisoning? There may be times when a person will throw up alot. How much can the lap band handle? There is no set amount it can handle, like vomitting twice is OK, but if you vomit 3 times your band will slip. I rarely vomit (2x in the last 20 years). Regardless, I still asked my PCP for something to help, because I know it could lead to problems, so she phones me in a Rx for a liquid anti-nausea medicine. I consider it a good prevenative to have on hand.

I have read on alot of sites about how the lap band is a great tool to lose weight. I also have read that people have them removed. In general, is the lap band a temporary solution? In general it is a permanent solution.

Is it meant to help you lose most of your excess weight and then removed? No.

How long do people usually keep the band in? Another question that's hard to quanitfy. I know two women who have had theirs for about 6 years and counting. Most studies beyond 2001 occurred outside of the US, and since *most* of the people here live in the US, we can't help much other than to suggest you look up some medical research or contact band manufactuers to get your info.

And finally, because I am 25, I expect to be very active once I lose my weight. With gastric bypass, hernias are a problem and people are not supposed to lift heavy things. Are there physical restrictions to people with the lap band? Not that I know of.

Can I do sit-ups and ab-crunches without disrupting the band? Should not be a problem. The band is secured around your organ. If your organ isn't disrupted, then your band shouldn't be.

Thank you both for your replies! I appreciate the informative website Jahar! I am so glad I found this site. Everyone understands what it is like to feel the way we do. I will continue to research but I am 95% sure I am going to have the surgery. Right now I am gearing up for graduation with a BS degree and I am moving. By November, I am planning on going to a seminar and I should have insurance by then. I heard that the Insurance I will get with my new job covers the surgery! Just another sign that this is the right thing for me. Thanks again for your help! Trisha

I understand about first things first, and congratulations on that degree and having the job already lined up!

Best of luck to you and please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.:gluck: :gluck: